Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346493 times)

0 Members and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4245 on: January 27, 2009, 02:19:21 am »

When I hear the Eagles, I think, what's the point? We have Gram Parsons, Jackson Browne and American Beauty. They are just redundant.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4246 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:52 am »

I'm not the biggest Eagles fan in the world, but I am a fan.  I've got several of their albums.  I think their harmonies are fantastic.  But I have no interest in paying $100 to sit in a basketball arena and watch a bunch of dinosaurs who haven't recorded together in decades, who kicked out one of the founding members over money, who are clearly only in it for the money.

Okay, yes.  There is a big difference between appreciating what they *were* and worshiping what they *are.* 

When I hear the Eagles, I think, what's the point? We have Gram Parsons, Jackson Browne and American Beauty. They are just redundant.

Okay, now you're just baiting me. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4247 on: January 27, 2009, 05:24:46 am »

Possibly. Though I do like Pink Floyd.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4248 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:40 pm »

I am still bitter about the Eagles losing the NFC Championship.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4249 on: January 27, 2009, 03:42:22 pm »

I am still bitter about the Eagles losing the NFC Championship.

That was the Iggles.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4250 on: January 27, 2009, 03:50:05 pm »

have you ever had one of those days
where you realize that somehow you have forgotten to shower for... a really long time?
ew.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4251 on: January 27, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »

today, I found out that I could go to Paris for a month this summer, to take an anthropology/sociology class and study religion in French politics. Kind of expensive, but includes housing, board, free passes to the subway and various art museums...

hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4252 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:57 am »

If you can swing it, go. I'm of firm belief that travel opportunity is a narrow window which opens and closes as life's duties hop on and off your back.

QFT. 

Also, travel will never be cheaper or easier than when you are a single, childless student. 

My biggest regret in life is that I didn't take the chance to travel while I was an undergrad, because I've never seen Europe and now it will be another 17 years before I can even consider going -- more if the kids don't get college scholarships. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4253 on: January 28, 2009, 04:00:36 am »

the real issue is... my parents would definitely pay for this, yes. my high-school graduation present was a sum of money with the stipulation that I spend it on travel... I think it was less than this program costs, but I know they are disappointed that I am not studying abroad. this would probably look good if I decide to apply to grad school for anthropology.

But unless I have a job this summer, next year will be a year without cash. And I am horrible at budgeting.

...also I would miss camp. a lot.
I will talk to the parents about it. This could be good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4254 on: January 28, 2009, 04:07:34 am »

Do it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4255 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:37 am »

also the issue is: it is in the exact middle of the summer.
what do i do between may 10th and june 30th, and for all of august. can't get a job in that time.

hm.


it is frustrating that a girl i have been pursuing in one form or another for a very long time does not want to date me. oh well. onwards.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4256 on: January 28, 2009, 04:37:38 am »

Are you saying she's a shapeshifter or... like... is it more that you pursued her in gaseous liquid and solid states?

Perhaps you should stick with girls who pick a manifestation and stay committed to it.

(Also: instead of pining after women you like from afar, maybe date casually women who are interested in YOU and you'll probably find that you dig a few of them back... this was the second-most-important lesson I ever learned about women, you can't make them attracted to you if they aren't from the start, so date ones who show interest in you from the get-go before they can think the better of their first impression, all else is pain and horror... the first-most-important was to not date women who can morph into things.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4257 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:04 am »

LFM, you are absolutely correct. But one has to learn this on his own. This is not something than can be taught. It's learned after several years of unrequited lust, and it's also known as settling.

But also, if you do go to Paris, don't commit to anyone before you go. My biggest regret about my summer in Germany was having a serious girlfriend back at home. You don't want to miss out on a summer of Parisian poon.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4258 on: January 28, 2009, 04:52:48 am »

Pffft. "Settling".

If "having lots of sex with someone who'll laugh at my jokes" is "settling" then call me Colony McSquattersly.

(I'm really into this comedy device today, you understand.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4259 on: January 28, 2009, 06:28:01 am »

I just kind of figured that the fact that she was reacting well to all the stuff I was doing was good.

Stupid. Obviously no one is going to say "stop being nice and attentive to me."
People like when you make things for them and send them letters when they are bored in the summer, or lonely in Europe.
People are just being nice, or good friends, when they say "I listen to the CD you made me every day."

I mean. There is some question about whether I am misinterpreting something here.
Technically I asked her on a second date and she said yes.
But she said yes in a way that makes me think she is trying to get out of it without hurting my feelings.
It is possible that I am just having low self esteem about this. At least one friend has said I am acting "completely fuck*ng retarded."

It is frustrating because I am picky as shit. But I am more OK with being picky than what I did before I got picky, which was date several girls who liked me a lot who I didn't like beyond the fact that they liked me. A few repetitions of girls sobbing at me cured me of that. But part of the current pickiness is a dumb marx-brothers thing where I wouldn't want to date any girl who would date me.

I guess eventually a balance will emerge.

I know this is not anything that every blog is not saying, but the new Animal Collective album is so damn good.
It's like they aged a bunch all at once and realized that the frantic yelping and cymbal-smashing thing doesn't belong on every song.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:34:24 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 878   Go Up