Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348432 times)

0 Members and 211 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4260 on: January 28, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »

Inev, what Jayelle said.  My only real regret from college is that I didn't do a semester abroad.  (I went to Germany for three weeks the summer after junior year, which was nice.)

Also, I'm pretty sure there are cute girls in France.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4261 on: January 28, 2009, 02:31:45 pm »

Does this board have one of those functions where you can block a certain person and never see what they post ever again? Because if Inev comes up with some neurotic reason not to go to France, I am going to need to use it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4262 on: January 28, 2009, 04:16:00 pm »

Also, I'm pretty sure there are cute girls in France.

I have heard that they love to dance.  Also, that they do not wear under#####.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4263 on: January 28, 2009, 04:18:43 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4264 on: January 28, 2009, 05:14:50 pm »

France is fantastic.

You will regret it forever if you don't go, you may never get another chance. From an English bloke as well that is high praise.

In seriousness though: would you regret going more than you would not going? Use your instinct. Go with that, there's not much else you can do
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4265 on: January 28, 2009, 06:19:06 pm »

If the trip costs less than the sum your parents offered you for travel, and needing money for school in the fall is making you consider not traveling, would your folks give you the difference between the actual trip expenses and the total amount offered to make up for not having a job this summer? 

Also, you could find work for a few weeks at a time.  Find a way you can fill in for other people who are going on vacation at different times.  House/pet-sit, mow lawns for vacationing people, babysit for a family whose regular sitter is away, or take over someone's paper route for a week.  It won't be steady, but you can do fairly well as a professional substitute if you put yourself out there. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4266 on: January 29, 2009, 03:06:12 am »

Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4267 on: January 29, 2009, 07:39:57 am »

...storm out of a meeting instead of blowing up at the asshole who keeps interrupting me and dragging the conversation off-topic. yeah it's cute and fun and whatever on an internet message board but in a meeting at the office you do not interrupt a person speaking. and you do not do it again. and you do not do it four times in a row. but hey, i didn't have to have a chat with yon boss about my going off on a motherfucker, so at least there's a silver lining.

also: ...say goodbye to a cool guy who got the axe today for reasons currently unknown to me. it probably had something to do with the inhalation of smoke of a dried flower between the time of starting a work day and ending that same work day. with luck he'll learn from the pink slippage and cut down on the green.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4268 on: January 29, 2009, 04:59:21 pm »

Does anybody else have layoffs coming up at work? My site alone just let go 60 people the other day, and rumor is next Wednesday another 10% to 15% (roughly 100 to 150 people) will get the axe. We also had significant layoffs last year. Working for a mutual fund/brokerage company, this doesn't come as a complete shock, but, fuck, you know?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4269 on: January 30, 2009, 01:38:22 am »

The reaper swept through my company twice last year.  Fortunately I've hung my star on the current Fortunate Son in the product portfolio, so provided I don't piss off the boss I'm probably good for a while.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4270 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:03 am »

we're not laying off, dude just got axed. in fact, we're hiring programmers and designers because we're kind of in a boom period right now.

strange, i know.


oh. today i confronted a dude that yelled at me last week. i fuck*ng hate confrontation but i've come to hate having a shitty work environment even more. the worst part of it: i walked in to his office, said "can we chat" he goes "yeah" i close the door and say "what's going on here" he says "nothing. other than you having a shit attitude." you see, this is the problem. i don't have one. he's reading me wrong because he doesn't understand what i say when i say it. UGH.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4271 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:13 pm »

As a tax collector I figure I'm pretty safe.  I thought about becoming an undertaker, but I guess I'll stay where I am.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4272 on: January 30, 2009, 07:38:38 pm »

Management:  This year, we'll be taking a creative approach to reductions in force.  Rather than laying off 1% of you, we'll merely cut 1% of your weight from you.  You, sir - you look like you weigh about 260.  We'll be taking your liver.

Asherdan: My what?

Management: Your liver.  Its a large, er, glandular organ in your abdomen.

Asherdan: Yeah, I know what it is, but....I'm using it!

Management: What's this then, hmm?

Asherdan: My organ donor card?

Management:  Need we say more?

Asherdan:  Listen! I can't give it to you now. It says, "in the event of death".

Management:  No one who has ever had their liver taken out by us has survived.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4273 on: January 30, 2009, 09:03:30 pm »

I am having a really weird conversation with this girl that is making me realize the true meaning of irony.

i don't like irony. it sucks.

but it is nice to have weird, over-a-year-later closure.

funny how satisfying a nice, normal, grown-up style conversation can be.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:24:03 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4274 on: January 31, 2009, 08:21:44 am »

Quote from: dan'l
funny how satisfying a nice, normal, grown-up style conversation can be.

i'm having a lot of these and they're not fun but they are indeed satisfying. i had an epiphany last week which led to the confrontation i todayimgonnablogged about above: my behavior in the office directly influences other peoples' behavior toward myself, and the reason i'm having difficulty getting along with people is that they see in me certain difficulties. my side project this week and to be continued is to mend the bad working relationships i have and amend my behavior to prevent more from occuring. this involves much adult conversation, and i am horrible with confrontation so it's an extreme challenge for me. it involves more than no tears, which is too many. i need to take my heart off my sleeve and hide it away a bit.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 878   Go Up