Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347928 times)

0 Members and 197 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4515 on: April 22, 2009, 09:07:48 pm »

Hey, all I did was tell you that ELO isn't prog. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4516 on: April 23, 2009, 12:17:36 am »

Hipster douchebags are now in season.

Seeing that can of PBR convinces me that hipster is more insulting than douchebag.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4517 on: April 23, 2009, 12:18:32 am »

Douchebags and douche....baguettes?

http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/

Hipster douchebags are now in season.
This is pretty much those two links combined: http://lookatthisfuck*nghipster.tumblr.com
I'll let those of you at home correct the url.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:21:53 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4518 on: April 23, 2009, 02:25:24 am »

I plan on wearing my KWUR deep-v-neck t-shirt, smoking cigarettes, and drinking PBR during the judging.

also, stealing someone's girlfriend who is going through an "arty" phase.


I won't apologize for liking PBR, ever since it came in 2nd place in our blind taste test of cheep beers.

I forget what number one was, but it was something surprising.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4519 on: April 23, 2009, 02:30:45 am »

Today, I'm gonna seriously consider getting a new internet name. Not here, I'll still be Toaster here, but out there.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4520 on: April 23, 2009, 03:10:53 am »

If you get to talk during judging, tell a band that you don't like that their influences are too obvious.

If they fight you, tell them that if they're influenced by any bands who actually got around to pressing CDs, they're unbearably pedestrian.

Real bands are only influenced by bootlegs by bands that only existed for one show, thirty years ago, acquired by decipering the secret code in zines.

Make up a bunch of silly band names and place them all in known college towns and tell them what they're supposed to be listening to and emulating.

"Oh, for God's sake, gentlemen, get your hands on some of The Filch out of Chapel Hill or... Voluminous Thump from Ithaca back in the Eighties or... Christ, even something introductory from back when Steve Zilla and the Klu Klux Kongs were in their Austin days. For God's sake. For God's sake. I bet you people appreciate Saved By The Bell in an unironic matter."

The Simon Cowell of scenester douchenozzles would be the best character ever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4521 on: April 23, 2009, 03:32:15 am »

I found out that actually we just rank them, silently.

So I'll have to sneer and roll my eyes SUPER hard.

It's funny, I had forgotten that there is/was a stereotype of "indie" types loving bands in proportion to their obscurity.
probably because the ones i interact with seem to work more on a level of "i like whatever is newest, and gets the best reviews on (music blog/site of choice)."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 04:19:23 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4522 on: April 23, 2009, 05:18:04 am »

I once had a pretty good idea for a script about a small group of friends who make up an obscure band (that does not actually exist) so as to tweak the sensibilities of the scenester fucknuts at the local used music store but when everyone starts claiming to have heard them and love them and so on, one of them tries to cash in a little on the joke gone out of control and... it descends into a mess of them trying to create just enough evidence that the band actually existed without providing so much evidence that it would be real and hence instantly not-so-cool via the accessibility.

Problem was that it was a good IDEA for a STORY and not... a good idea for translating into something that would eventually be 100 minutes of moving pictures.

...a lot of my ideas are better as diatribes than when smushed into the mold of a linear visual narrative. Too much Vonnegut in my formative years.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4523 on: April 23, 2009, 05:24:52 am »

Maybe you should do it in real life. It would be an adventure. (I love adventures.)
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4524 on: April 23, 2009, 05:57:46 am »

I once had a pretty good idea for a script about a small group of friends who make up an obscure band (that does not actually exist) so as to tweak the sensibilities of the scenester fucknuts at the local used music store but when everyone starts claiming to have heard them and love them and so on, one of them tries to cash in a little on the joke gone out of control and... it descends into a mess of them trying to create just enough evidence that the band actually existed without providing so much evidence that it would be real and hence instantly not-so-cool via the accessibility.

Problem was that it was a good IDEA for a STORY and not... a good idea for translating into something that would eventually be 100 minutes of moving pictures.

...a lot of my ideas are better as diatribes than when smushed into the mold of a linear visual narrative. Too much Vonnegut in my formative years.

Did you just try to set 'The Importance of being Earnest' in a record store?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4525 on: April 23, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

That's... not how I came up with it... but it's certainly apt on some levels.

Bears comparison.

Looking deep into my journal, it appears the idea was inspired by the idea of the famous Sasquatch film and... how some conspiracy theorists believe that it was actually part OF the hoax to cover-up the Sasquatch... by making a fake film of a hoaxed Sasquatch with obvious flaws upon close inspection and making it famous, so as to discredit all "real" evidence of skunkapes out of hand, in reaction to that faked fake.

Because that would be the ultimate ending, you know, that these people would eventually come clean that this band was all made-up and... no one would believe them, would claim that they were just "haters" who "don't get it". Their attempts to disprove their hoax would be written off as these people all trying to be cooler than everyone else.

It appears that my name for the fake band was "Tragina" and their first imaginary album would be called "Horrible Failure".

(took a while to find this in my journal as it is thousands of entries long and all entries have vague titles. I searched "band" and "fake" and had no luck. "hipster" was the key search.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4526 on: April 23, 2009, 12:48:03 pm »

Well I'm in that awesome band the Tree Brains with Adam Savage. Aren't you?
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4527 on: April 23, 2009, 03:35:05 pm »

Today I'm gonna find out if the house I put a bid on can actually legally be sold by the title holder.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4528 on: April 23, 2009, 08:26:14 pm »

Suspense
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4529 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:34 pm »

Italics
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 878   Go Up