Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346686 times)

0 Members and 172 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4530 on: April 24, 2009, 01:19:22 am »

Education.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4531 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:58 am »

Well, the good news is it can be sold.  The bad news is that the highest bid beats mine by ninety thousand dollars.  Yeesh.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4532 on: April 24, 2009, 02:24:47 am »

Resolution?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4533 on: April 24, 2009, 02:42:08 am »

Denouement.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4534 on: April 24, 2009, 04:40:26 am »

Afterglow
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4535 on: April 24, 2009, 05:26:28 am »

To Be Continued...?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4536 on: April 24, 2009, 06:28:47 am »

Sequel.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4537 on: April 24, 2009, 06:41:26 am »

Prequel with a young sexy cast that really misunderstands most of the core concepts of the earlier films.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4538 on: April 24, 2009, 07:06:02 am »

But... the original cast was also young and sexy... at the time.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4539 on: April 24, 2009, 04:12:24 pm »

Have you guys all seen those ads? What with the punching and the rock music? What gives??

Also: beer first thing in the morning is a LOT less satisfying than I hoped it would be.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4540 on: April 24, 2009, 08:06:30 pm »

today is the last day of classes, it is historically the day that we drink all day.

the battle of the bands thing was...
well, I had low expectations.
But my expectations were WAY too high.

When a band came on that was a really unoriginal and uninteresting band THAT HAD ORIGINAL SONGS, AND COULD PLAY THEM COMPETENTLY I almost stood up and cheered.

oh my god, why do people think it is funny to do punk or acoustic covers of pop songs.

(also: the other judge, who was from the music magazine on campus, showed up with a PBR button and dark jeans and plaid shirt on an 85-degree day, with wayfarers and cowboy boots. he wins.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4541 on: April 24, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »

I think that they do those covers less because they think they're achingly funny and more because they think that the familiarity of the material will draw in the casual audiences... but putting an "ironic" spin on it that won't scare away people who dislike the original song. I think it's more a question of marketability and accessability... especially in something like a battle of the bands, where they're trying to strategize how to stand out in a crowd of people.

When everyone takes the same path, it backfires of course, but there we are. But I understand the premise... they weren't trying to necessarily show their best material or best talents, they were trying to tailor their material toward what they thought would win the contest, which they would then hopefully parlay into getting noticed enough where people would listen to their original stuff which... 99.44% of people would immediately tune out because it isn't familiar.

But then... we've covered your opinion on accessability. *winky emoticon*
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4542 on: April 24, 2009, 10:09:56 pm »

So original material is like recessive genes?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4543 on: April 24, 2009, 10:15:27 pm »

I think it would be overestimating these bands to think that "original material" exists.

I was anticipating that the bands would fit into like... "blues-rock band," or "kind of metal-ish band" or something. categories that I find generally uninteresting, but hey, it's their thing. they're trying.

But instead it was "jam band, but without skill on their instruments, playing dave matthews songs."

Quote
99.44% of people would immediately tune out because it isn't familiar.
Arguing this the other day is what led to a guy calling me a cultural elitist, pretentious, intellectually dishonest, etc.


...lately I am in what qualifies for me as a really rude and abrasive mood. later I will feel bad for being so down on these people who at least seemed to be enjoying what they were doing.

drunk whiffle ball in vacant lot: best ever.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:18:29 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4544 on: April 25, 2009, 05:12:56 pm »

oh my god, why do people think it is funny to do punk or acoustic covers of pop songs.

Or entertaining in anyway, ironic or otherwise.  I have been saying this for years.  Please stop it already.

...lately I am in what qualifies for me as a really rude and abrasive mood. later I will feel bad for being so down on these people who at least seemed to be enjoying what they were doing.

You need to get laid!

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 878   Go Up