Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346033 times)

0 Members and 167 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4560 on: April 27, 2009, 03:45:30 pm »

I realize that in the end the critics and fans are the ones who ultimately create the names and the scenes but...

On the other hand, I have to believe that inhabiting that space pretty quickly corrupts a lady or a dude, and they start playing to the artifice.

Smaller the scene, quicker and stronger it goes.

I certainly didn't mean to evoke such an emotional reaction as a "fuck you" though.

It's just that a lot of the stuff reviewed on that site smacked of stuff that had been isolated from all outside influence other than "the scene", like a snake reachin' around and making a loop because there's nothing left to live on except its own poop.

I did not mean to come off so cockish in trying to say that. Mea culpa.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4561 on: April 27, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »

I think there's a difference between a band that makes the music for the music's sake and a band that is totally self-conscious and concerned about genre labels.  Clearly musicians have no control over what people say or write about them.  But they shouldn't pander either.

I don't need some pencil-neck telling me whether I should or should not like a piece of music.

Sorry if you are offended, you two aspiring rock critics.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4562 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »

I did not mean to come off so cockish in trying to say that. Mea culpa.

It's not you.  It is people in the scene of bitching and not creating stuff.  I just get so annoyed at that scene.

Edit:  Here it is:  there have been a lot of things that you don't like, which is just fuck*ng fine, but it is not some indie conspiracy to trick people into listening to something they don't like or separate you from music or anything like that.  Everything you don't like comes down to some fuck*ng philosophical debate that doesn't fuck*ng exist.  So stop it please.  I am too drugged out and sleep deprived most of the time to be listening to something that I don't like, and I like to be surprised by music, not listen to the same hard rock riffs over and fuck*ng over.  So please, it is not indie out to get you, it is people making music that THEY like, and if you like it fine, if not that is fine too.  They will still enjoy themselves and get free drinks and maybe some money and pussy and/or cock.  But that is all it is, people making music that they like, and trying to make it more interesting than, to paraphrase inev, some bullshit blues rock or heavy metal band.  That has been done, accept it and stop bitching about it, or listen to your pre grunge records and stop bitching about it.  But please, for the love of god, quit bitching about it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:00:33 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4563 on: April 27, 2009, 07:54:12 pm »

Quote
it exponentially raises the chances of sucking the more conscious a performer is of their place inside or outside of a given genre

My main issue is with this part. I think a lot of great music is born out of trying to do something that hasn't been done in a particular type of music. "You think I play bebop? Fuck you! I'm going to make a record of modal jazz." or Sonic Youth trying to get as far away from rock music as possible, then slowly adding the rock back in over a decade... people like the Beatles combining things that nobody had ever tried to combine, etc. I think some of the best music is born out of a synthesis of thinking really really hard, and feeling really really hard.
To quote James Franco: "rock music doesn't come from your head, it comes from your crotch."
This statement is made by a man apparently unaware that the libidinal instinct resides in the brain.


Also, what keith said. I was just talking yesterday about how much I dislike arguments that start with "nobody really likes [blank,] they just think it's cool to."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4564 on: April 27, 2009, 08:06:59 pm »

In the dictionary, when you look up "the point of all rock music:"
pussy and/or cock.

"nobody really likes [blank,] they just think it's cool to."

Unfalsifiable claim: Exhibit A
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4565 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:21 pm »

Quote
In the dictionary, when you look up "the point of all rock music:"

I really enjoy Ken Burn's jazz documentary, which I am watching right now instead of studying for finals, because musicians keep saying things like... "well, I saw this one trumpet player, he was getting a lot of girls. I thought, hey, I should learn trumpet."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4566 on: April 27, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »

Yeah those old hepcats are soo cool.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4567 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:44 pm »

I'm sure that he got it from someone else, but Bruce Springsteen said that the natural follow-up to every rock song is "Will you take off your #####?"

(ducks LFM flamethrow)
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4568 on: April 27, 2009, 09:17:12 pm »

"Yeah, I really like these guys, they've got sort of a post-fuzzcore sound in a kind of hazegazey shoe-fi way."

Actually, this sounds like the perfect kind of music.  If there were any post-fuzzcore hazegazey shoe-fi playing near me I would definitely rock out to it tonight. 

Writing about music is like tap dancing about architecture. 

Yes, and tap dancing about architecture is an awesome idea.  Maybe I'm just automatically in favor of all random strings of words?  It could be. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4569 on: April 27, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »

If you were tap-dancing about architecture, wouldn't that mean you were just dancing in response to how you felt about a building? That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

All like "Man, I really love the floors in this place! They make a great sound! And the ceilings! They're so high! And the windows let in so much light, but also provide a great view of the night sky! It makes me want to dance in the style in which I was educated, which happens to be tap!"
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4570 on: April 27, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »

if that hasn't happened in a film, it needs to happen.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4571 on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:29 pm »

Man lprkn to Toaster are the three best comments, in a row, that any message board has ever had.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4572 on: April 27, 2009, 11:00:36 pm »

yeah, I am pretty impressed.

Today, I am gonna:

put off writing a paper and preparing a presentation. Instead, I will go through the huge stack of unread books in my room, and consider how close I am coming to the line between "honest nerd-dom, wants to learn about the history of western thought, etc" and "pretentious fuck."

I think it would be closer to the latter if I didn't blurt out "I haven't read those yet, that is my un-read shelf" whenever people look at them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4573 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:21 pm »

I think it would be closer to the latter if I didn't blurt out "I haven't read those yet, that is my un-read shelf" whenever people look at them.

I always do that to.  It is easier than doing it later if they ask about them.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4574 on: April 27, 2009, 11:22:45 pm »

If it's awkward, you could always cover by treating it like it's a conversation piece, similar to how one would present a prize-winning pumpkin, or a framed Tron poster.

"Oh, that? That's my 'un-read' shelf. You like that? I have all these other shelves, too..."
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 878   Go Up