Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345654 times)

0 Members and 209 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4755 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:35 pm »

The life of an  analyst continues. Every morning (around 5am) I take Ginkgo Plus, Pregnenelone, Huperzine, Modafinil, Adderalll, and copious amounts of caffeine. I work 100 hour weeks breathing life into the economy  and produce ph.d level financial models The good news is that I'm making more money than any person I know (six figures out of college, whaaaaat), I'm planning on proposing to my gf, and getting my MBA. Life goes on.
Sounds like a good gig if that's what you want. Not sure how you'd have time for an MBA AND a family/social life in that situation, though.
I am not sure I want the economy to be on that many stimulants. I am not so sure that worked out well before.
Ha!
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4756 on: June 06, 2009, 06:59:20 pm »

I mainly lurk around here to read other people's thoughts on Achewood, but I must echo the sentiment above.

Repeat after me: You Are Not Your Job. No matter how much you love what you do, sane working hours are going to be necessary for long-term happiness.

Also, no matter how loyal you are or how many hours you put in, that company will still drop you in a second if it is in their best interest to do so. So do something in your best interest and build a life outside of the office.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4757 on: June 06, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »

Today I'm gonna finally figure out what the problem is: My editor is a replicant.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4758 on: June 06, 2009, 08:24:34 pm »

You should ask her her opinions on turtles.

EDIT: Fix'd for gender!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:13:15 pm by Toaster »
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4759 on: June 06, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »

I don't have to. I already know that she's the only person on earth who doesn't think that fireflies are cool.

See, they could probably learn what they should be disgusted at, what is considered wrong, that they should remember to react negatively to bad things happening to animals. They could probably even get the right physical reactions by training with biofeedback or something. But that's, like, just the negative side - what about the positive?  What no one thinks about is that the corrollary is having a positive gut reaction to living things that are totally cool. If you don't have that, you clearly have no soul.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4760 on: June 07, 2009, 04:27:53 am »

You Are Not Your Job. No matter how much you love what you do, sane working hours are going to be necessary for long-term happiness.

Also, no matter how loyal you are or how many hours you put in, that company will still drop you in a second if it is in their best interest to do so. So do something in your best interest and build a life outside of the office.
Thats where the part of getting engaged and my MBA/MF come in. I'd known all along that is the nature of this business beast that the first two years as an analyst are mandatory weeding procedure to find the dudes who really "love" and "get" finance before moving up the ladder to relatively less intense but more powerful positions. I am doing what I have wanted to do all my life, but the break-in period is certainly everything it was built up to be.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4761 on: June 08, 2009, 12:26:24 am »

My county-and-then-a-bit-more elected a fascist this evening! I feel physically ill.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4762 on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:50 am »

The BBC says Europe is "punishing the left".  Apparently England isn't alone in its move towards the centre.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4763 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:13 pm »


I'm just saying proper nutrition and health maintenance combined with will will treat you better long term than sticking your tail in the light socket of stimulants and additives. There are no shortcuts without consequences.


Hunter Thompson (who oughta know...) described stimulants as allowing you to borrow energy from the future.  Problem is, that energy has to be paid back, with interest.  This fits with my experience as well.

Rock on, Spiderman.  Speed is at best a very short-term solution.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4764 on: June 08, 2009, 09:17:04 pm »

He did coke til he killed himself though, so
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4765 on: June 08, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »

He did coke til he killed himself though, so
I'm pretty sure it was self-administered high velocity lead poisoning that did HST in.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4766 on: June 08, 2009, 11:37:13 pm »

no yeah, that maybe came out wrong.

He was a coke head for his whole life,or at least at the end (ing decades), and then he killed himself, so maybe don't use him to say not to do drugs.  I am pretty sure he would be down for whatever gets the job done.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4767 on: June 09, 2009, 12:07:22 am »

fair enough, but what treatments?  was he sick or just burned out.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4768 on: June 09, 2009, 02:27:31 am »

All I know is, at his funeral, they shot his ashes out of a cannon, at his request.  Holy SHIT.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4769 on: June 09, 2009, 09:47:49 am »

I had a dream where I was going to go out and attempt to do parkour but instead I shat myself and got lost.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 878   Go Up