Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343178 times)

0 Members and 192 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4815 on: June 17, 2009, 11:49:05 pm »

...be thankful for the diligence of our new overlords.

You know how Gmail has that function that asks you if you maybe forgot to attach an attachment? I thought that it did something obvious like, say, look for the word 'attachment' in the text of the email. Well, I was answering an ad for a writing gig and when I hit Send, that reminder box popped up. In fact, I had not intended to send a resume or attachment and had not mentioned one - in fact the word 'apply' and 'job' weren't in there either. And it's never done this the zillions of times that I've emailed friends and mentioned that I had applied for a job or that I was revising my resume or anything like that.

Now, you think this is creepy enough that it figured out that I was applying for something like a job and might have wanted to send a resume even though I never used any of those words. But then... I had second thoughts. Ads for writing gigs don't always want you to send a resume, which was why I hadn't mentioned or attached one, but I decided to go back to the ad and double check. At which point I found that Gmail was right - they had wanted me to send a resume.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4816 on: June 18, 2009, 01:50:28 am »

Google knows everything.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4817 on: June 18, 2009, 08:39:12 pm »

"Surprise, change of plans, we are spending the first half of the day at the Shoah (holocaust) museum!"

Our guide was this kind of cheerful british man and it was very upsetting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4818 on: June 20, 2009, 12:09:24 pm »

...stay up waaaaaay too late playing cards with people at work and have nothing cogent to say about holocaust museums, other than this:

Those places elicit the kind of anger in me that desperately wants there to be a Hell, and wants it to be special for every resident.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4819 on: June 20, 2009, 12:24:34 pm »

spending a pleasant saturday afternoon/night writing essays instead of going out and enjoying Paris. BOLLOCKS TO THAT. At least it's kind of gross and rainy outside?

The Centre Pompidou is very cool, but made me realize the extent to which I am not someone who enjoys spending a long time looking at art. Far too short of an attention span. I ripped through that sucker at basically sprint pace, with a few stops to gawk at pieces I recognized from my Art History class.

Calder, though, he is freaking awesome. His stuff was so good and cool.


The shoah museum also made me think a lot about my roommate here, who is an incredibly intolerant gay jewish man.
"some people just shouldn't be allowed to have children."
Also, hates on immigrants who "don't put america first," then talks half an hour later about his super over-the-top zionism.

also, there was this one propaganda poster at the museum that was the most ayn-rand-y thing I have ever seen. big dude like this getting weighed down by jews and weaklings who live off of his aryan power like parasites.

also, so many dudes are putting moves on me. I keep having to have conversations like "no, don't be upset, it is totally fine with me that you are gay, just don't squeeze my ass.  It does not make me uncomfortable that you are gay, it makes me uncomfortable that you express it by squeezing my ass. Have you noticed how I don't walk around hitting on girls by grabbing their asses? It is the same."
Although, also, french dudes are into hitting on my friend by... walking up and grabbing her ass. I am amazed that none of them have ended up with broken noses/fingers/testes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4820 on: June 20, 2009, 03:49:39 pm »

...stay up waaaaaay too late playing cards with people at work and have nothing cogent to say about holocaust museums, other than this:

Those places elicit the kind of anger in me that desperately wants there to be a Hell, and wants it to be special for every resident.

If it makes you feel any better the security guard's wake and funeral had a really large attendance and were pretty big news around here.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4821 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »

I graduated yesterday.

That's technically neither "today" nor "gonna" but I thought it was pretty nifty.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4822 on: June 27, 2009, 10:32:31 pm »

Quote
Today: reflect on the fact that I have created mega drama in my trip-group by not wanting to smooch a person who is obviously issue-having.
Somehow the scene where she started screaming at me in the middle of the street, accused me of stealing her money, etc. only confirmed that my decision was correct.

Oh my GOD how did I manage to forget this wise decision so quickly. Shit shit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4823 on: June 27, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

I graduated yesterday.

That's technically neither "today" nor "gonna" but I thought it was pretty nifty.

While you really should have posted 'today I'm gonna graduate' on the morning of the event, we'll let it pass. Congratulations.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4824 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »

I graduated yesterday.

That's technically neither "today" nor "gonna" but I thought it was pretty nifty.
Congratulations.  Enjoy the moment, as I have great faith that you will.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4825 on: June 28, 2009, 05:04:49 am »

As some of you read, a spot in my life opened up recently. And I figured with the time, money, and energy now available, I can do the CFA. Hundreds of hours of study and then a grueling 6 hour exam in December for my Level 1. Yay life!

Quote
"Am I prepared to study between 10-20 hours per week for four to five months?

    * If you cannot study for at least 10 hours per week for four months you have a low chance of passing the exam. The CFA level 1 has a 65% failure rate.

Do I have the will power to study this much? How will this commitment affect my life?

    * The time you put into the exam will greatly take away time with friends and family."

Good, I didn't like them anyway!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:08:16 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4826 on: June 28, 2009, 06:25:39 am »

What's the payoff for that kind of effort?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4827 on: June 28, 2009, 03:22:33 pm »

What's the payoff for that kind of effort?
The same as any other degree/professional certification: three letters after your name, recognition of the hard work and knowledge that it involves.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4828 on: June 28, 2009, 08:34:56 pm »

recognition of the hard work and knowledge that it involves.
In the form of cold, hard cash?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4829 on: June 28, 2009, 10:50:13 pm »

In the form of cold, hard cash?
How dare you sir. The personal growth and increased depth of knowledge in the field will surely be its own reward.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 878   Go Up