Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343528 times)

0 Members and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4980 on: August 02, 2009, 07:06:57 am »

Trust-fund hipsters do those things in Los Angeles all the time.

It's just that people with the bread to make quirky pseudo-indies tend to move mostly in circles with trust-fund hipsters so...

Y'know. Assuming a whole from a small slice of the whole. Synecdoche.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4981 on: August 02, 2009, 07:18:06 am »

It is kind of a mix of the big three.  You can get close to the classic tele sound, close to strat, and it is the guitar with the most possibilities (ie jazz/jag) that I can actually afford.  That is why I am getting it, closest I can get, or justify buying at this point, to a Jazzmaster.

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4982 on: August 02, 2009, 07:30:10 am »

I wish I had looked at a jazzmaster before buying my jag. I love the jaguar, but I'll always wonder, you know?

But yeah, I love that damn guitar. Right now it is sitting prettily in a case in my friend's closet. I am ready to be playing it loudly in the basement of my new house soon. I hope the people who live below us (on the first floor of our duplex) are cool. The dream goes like, maybe they play bass and drums.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4983 on: August 02, 2009, 07:30:37 am »

Next summer: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a lovesick teenage detective space alien molestation victim evil disfigured scientist, IN: 500 Bricks of Mysterious Joe From The Sun.

Dude is easily one of my favorite actors.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4984 on: August 02, 2009, 08:14:47 am »

I'm not particularly planning on seeing 500 days of summer but between mysterious skin and brick I have to agree with you.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4985 on: August 02, 2009, 11:42:19 pm »

I will probably be mad at myself later if I don't go see sonic youth tonight, right?

yeah, I think I'm gonna go.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4986 on: August 03, 2009, 12:00:35 am »

No, you should stay at home.
Sit at home, maybe fiddle with your guitar, maybe chuck in a dvd.
Sit at home and post on a messageboard about cartoon cats instead of attending a concert.
Daniel.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4987 on: August 03, 2009, 12:34:39 am »

yeah, I'm going. Going, and sitting in row V out of A-Z... rows A-Z of the balcony.

YEAH.

Gonna bring a book to read for class in between bands. This is how I justify going out while way behind in all classes.

(also, my uncle pointed out that none of these grades will ever matter to anyone)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:45:07 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4988 on: August 03, 2009, 04:07:35 am »

(also, my uncle pointed out that none of these grades will ever matter to anyone)
Except grad school admissions boards.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4989 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:44 am »

I mean, they don't get included in my GPA or anything, they just count for credit.

But I still don't want to do badly in them, because, I am bad at not-caring about things.

Caring but still not putting in enough effort, and then realizing too late, and trying to make it all up at the last moment and not succeeding? Yes. I am great at that.

Sonic Youth were flipping awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4990 on: August 04, 2009, 04:12:07 am »

Here you go Dan, it's Sonic Youth recorded a couple of weeks ago in DC for NPR.  Ace show.

link.

Maybe you want to relive the experience.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4991 on: August 04, 2009, 04:37:36 am »

thanks paul, this is cool.

apparently for the last several years I have been making fun of Freud in front of my best friend/roommate whose dad is a freudian psychoanalyst.
it is taking so much effort to apologize for this. I did not know that such people still existed and had medical degrees. because like, it would seem like learning about how brains work would preclude buying into... really archaic proto-psychology.

it doesn't help that now every joke I think of relies on humorous misreadings of ego/id/superego/whatever stuff.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:08:52 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4992 on: August 04, 2009, 06:31:40 am »

inev start a jokes thread with your freud material
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4993 on: August 04, 2009, 07:04:53 am »

thanks paul, this is cool.

apparently for the last several years I have been making fun of Freud in front of my best friend/roommate whose dad is a freudian psychoanalyst.
it is taking so much effort to apologize for this. I did not know that such people still existed and had medical degrees. because like, it would seem like learning about how brains work would preclude buying into... really archaic proto-psychology.

it doesn't help that now every joke I think of relies on humorous misreadings of ego/id/superego/whatever stuff.

your friend got butthurt over your less-than-stellar-opinion of freudian psychology?  and freud jokes?  that would be like me getting upset when people ask if working at a septic company was a shitty job......

seriously though, what exactly do you have to apologize for?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #4994 on: August 04, 2009, 07:16:19 am »

I don't think any of it is funny to anyone but me. And maybe like, other (former?) psychology dorks who don't like freud. There is a very specific kind of joke my roommate and I make that... I can't describe without it just being a definition of what a joke is. But they come out being only funny to us, because we have created this frame of saying things that sound stupid, but are actually jokes about the thought process that would go into saying something like that...

It is basically only funny to this roommate and me, which makes this extra rough. I will try to think of an example that works out of context.

Maybe like, we read The Game and make jokes about using it on people, but in situations where it would make no sense. like, maybe I can get out of this exam if I do the dual-induction massage on my professor and the TA.

Or, related, this girl we know seems to have this false impression that I am somehow a manipulator, and use my charms to take advantage of women. This is practically a joke in itself, but now there are a lot of jokes about like, interpreting my incompetence with women as part of some kind of sinister plan. (it also says horrifying things about this girl that she is also the person i have come the closest to sleeping with in a very long time, and she made these statements both before and after that situation.)

We also have a series of jokes that have long set ups about, one day we'll show this to our kids, etc.... and always end with, but our kids will be too busy interacting with the hypercube/serving the overmind.

Basically what I am saying is: Bromance, I miss my roommate and am ready to be living with him again after not seeing him since last December. Even if I have to pretend to respect Freud and post-modern literary analysis and stuff.

greenkoolayd: yeah, I don't know, it was kind of a weirdly intense moment. I guess it is different making fun of someone's parent (albeit unintentionally). And like, I think I have made statements a while ago that... might have been extreme along the lines of "what kind of idiot buys into this" or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 878   Go Up