Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350062 times)

0 Members and 145 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5385 on: September 21, 2009, 07:19:37 pm »

Have fun near the beach.

You know it's a party when the police and fire department gets called out... twice.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5386 on: September 21, 2009, 08:06:00 pm »

The Technical Staff actually makes WALKING into an equipment intensive hobby. He doesn't just have hiking shoes and special water bottles, oh no. He has hand held GPS, and he has a special STICK. Made of metal with bungy cords inside so it folds up. A stick. I ask you. Aren't the woods FULL of sticks, why would anyone have to bring one with them??
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5387 on: September 21, 2009, 08:13:33 pm »

The Technical Staff actually makes WALKING into an equipment intensive hobby. He doesn't just have hiking shoes and special water bottles, oh no. He has hand held GPS, and he has a special STICK. Made of metal with bungy cords inside so it folds up. A stick. I ask you. Aren't the woods FULL of sticks, why would anyone have to bring one with them??

Don't those sticks usually come in pairs? And cost like $80?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5388 on: September 21, 2009, 08:47:01 pm »

Don't those sticks usually come in pairs? And cost like $80?

I am not sure if he has two, but I remember the price was totally outlandish.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5389 on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:43 pm »

...personal naggity-nag of mine...

agreed.  especially when a $2948782040520498524 specialty tool can get lost [[snap]] just like that.  id rather have to spend another $6 on a new pair of needle nose pliers than put a mortgage on my testicals just to get a new  this:  http://www.uptownangler.com/images/store/orvis-multi-tool.jpg
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5390 on: September 21, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »

Do they have bells attached? That can come in handy.

Oh god, he actually brought back a photo of a bear from his last hike. What is wrong with the walking machines at the gym if he wants to walk with a lot of equipment? At least there is no man-eating wildlife there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5391 on: September 21, 2009, 10:36:26 pm »

Oh god, he actually brought back a photo of a bear from his last hike. What is wrong with the walking machines at the gym if he wants to walk with a lot of equipment? At least there is no man-eating wildlife there.

theres a certain subconscious thing that happens to dudes in the forest.  you cant feel like all primal and like a  caveman in any way at the gym, but you can when youre pissing on trees and builing a fire and stuff.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5392 on: September 22, 2009, 12:20:43 am »

I showed him the article and he says that he also fended off the bear attack with his walking stick by holding it over his head so he could look large. He also says that he aspires to be that guy when he is old.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5393 on: September 22, 2009, 01:39:02 am »

wait, isn't that the opposite of what you do with bears?

I was so scared of bears when I was working at camp. I knew they wouldn't hurt me, but I also knew I would piss my ##### if I saw one.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5394 on: September 22, 2009, 01:59:14 am »

And why do you have this certainty that bears would not hurt you?

Actually if you search the web for what to do when you encounter a bear it's rather entertaining. Several reliable sites suggest that you wave your arms to show the bear that you are human. Wouldn't, say, reciting poetry or playing chess be more definitive? You also learn something about how stupid people are about animals - a subject of endless depth and variety - from a site that actually feels the need to warn "Don't offer the bear any food."

Most troubling though is the notion that in a state of panic, you need to be able to distinguish a black bear from a grizzly, because for one you're supposed to fight back if it attacks and for the other, play dead.

I tried to argue that what you do about bears is "Don't go to places that have bears," but I was unable to convince him of this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5395 on: September 22, 2009, 02:05:03 am »

I tried to argue that what you do about bears is "Don't go to places that have bears," but I was unable to convince him of this.

not even the zoo?



Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5396 on: September 22, 2009, 02:39:26 am »

the area where I worked had never had a bear attack. Every bear encounter had consisted of the person being scared, and the bear being scared, and parting ways. Mostly because in this area bears have not learned to associate people with food.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5397 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:04 am »

I would love to see a bear in the wild.  Bears are fuck*ng awesome!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5398 on: September 22, 2009, 03:49:29 am »

im not as hairy as a bear, but if one saw me in the woods, hed be all, "dude, whoever cut your hair needs a friggin eye exam.  anyway, i just passed a really rad blackberry bush about a half-mile back.  wanna go eat some with me?"
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5399 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52:18 am »

agreed.  especially when a $2948782040520498524 specialty tool can get lost [[snap]] just like that.  id rather have to spend another $6 on a new pair of needle nose pliers than put a mortgage on my testicals just to get a new  this:  http://www.uptownangler.com/images/store/orvis-multi-tool.jpg

Yeah, but I'd rather carry my $35 Leatherman that I've had for years so I've got needlenose pliers, a knife, a screwdriver and a can-opener.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 878   Go Up