Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346480 times)

0 Members and 191 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5535 on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:09 pm »

If only they knew I'm thinking about Batman the whole time...
At what age do we stop faking it? I know people in their late 30s who are still basically teenagers in grown-up costumes.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5536 on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:48 pm »

"Oh, you're hungry? We'll have to bring lunch with."
THAT IS REALLY WEIRD....

i dont remember hearing it very often until i moved to where i live now.  although it seems like a PAdutch-ism(another similar one is like, saying "all gone", but omitting  the "gone"...)to me, a friend told me that its not uncommon in most places.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5537 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:45 pm »

Today I tried to renew my driver's license.  Since I'd moved since the last renewal, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles clerk behind the desk said I would need proof of residence at my new address.  He helpfully suggested a pay stub or utility bill with my name on it, neither of which I carry around.  

I thought quickly about anything in my car which may have my home address on it.  I keep a tidy vehicle, so the only thing that I could think of getting in the mail over the last few days that may still be in the car was...

...my new annual auto registration, also issued by the Ohio BMV!  How perfect!  Ohio license plates expire on the registered owner's birthday.  Ohio drivers' licenses expire on the owner's birthday every fifth year.  This happened to be the year where I had to get a new plate registration and a new license, so my registration certificate was fresh in the glovebox.

Turns out, a brand-new vehicle registration from the Ohio BMV is not sufficient proof of address for the Ohio BMV itself.  Now I have to wait another day to renew my license (and get the fruity new pink anti-counterfeit design) because the BMV trusts the gas company to know where I live more than they trust themselves.

So to make this more precise, TOMORROW I'm gonna...get my new driver's license.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5538 on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:01 pm »

That is perfect.  I lost my license at one time and for a bit carried my passport with as alternate id.  A surprising number of times it was considered insufficient as id. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5539 on: October 14, 2009, 07:28:28 pm »

That is perfect.  I lost my license at one time and for a bit carried my passport with as alternate id.  A surprising number of times it was considered insufficient as id. 

Which is insane because when filling out the paperwork at a new job it actually counts as two forms of ID.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5540 on: October 14, 2009, 07:30:30 pm »

At what age do we stop faking it? I know people in their late 30s who are still basically teenagers in grown-up costumes.

Truth be told, I keep my inner teenager chained in the basement. The only reason I keep it alive is so I can bop it on the head with a rolled magazine once in a while*. But I'm familiar with the phenomenon you mention. I'm very saddened by it.

* - Batman doesn't count ok. Ok?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:34:54 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5541 on: October 14, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »

i dont remember hearing it very often until i moved to where i live now.  although it seems like a PAdutch-ism(another similar one is like, saying "all gone", but omitting  the "gone"...)to me, a friend told me that its not uncommon in most places.

Is "y'uns" (sp?) considered a PAdutch-ism as well?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5542 on: October 14, 2009, 07:49:12 pm »

also, what is the deal with people who do this thing:
is this a regional thing? I know I've heard it before, but this attractive young lady I've been making time with does it so much that I can't stop noticing it. I feel like I had previously heard it in the context of "come with" or whatever, but she uses it even in contexts like "Oh, you're hungry? We'll have to bring lunch with."
THAT IS REALLY WEIRD.

This is not that weird. English has tons of verb-particle constructions like this that can be used in a phrase of the form verb-noun-particle:
look him up
lay my burden down
put the shirt on
turn the light off
throw the trash away
etc.

It doesn't seem like that big a deal for the language to change in the direction of including 'with' in the set of words that can be used that way.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5543 on: October 14, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »

At what age do we stop faking it? I know people in their late 30s who are still basically teenagers in grown-up costumes.

I'll let you know if it ever happens to me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5544 on: October 14, 2009, 08:06:08 pm »

That is perfect.  I lost my license at one time and for a bit carried my passport with as alternate id.  A surprising number of times it was considered insufficient as id. 

My bartender friends say it's not accepted at their establishments because they're rare and the bouncers can't spot a fake as easily as they can with a state-issued driver's license.  Woe to he who is from out-of-state and tries to present it as verification of DOB: Out comes the reference book, flashlight, magnifying glass and intense questioning.  I've considered getting them a jeweler's loupe as a sarcastic gag gift.  At some point it crosses the line from Due Dilligence into Wasting Everyone's Time.

Meanwhile, my about-to-expire license is considered an acceptable primary ID by the BMV even though it has an incorrect address on it and no SSN.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5545 on: October 14, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »

That is not a bad explanation for not accepting passports.

But the DMV not accepting the registration that they themselves issued, that is priceless.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5546 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:07 pm »

As a former Pennsylvanian, I am guilty of saying "You coming with?" and the like.  I never liked "all" in that usage, though, drove me nuts.  Someone would say "The potato chips are all" and I'd be like "All what?  All broken in tiny pieces?  All covered with rat poison?  What?  Oh, all gone.  Why didn't you say that, then?" 

And they would look at me with that look that says "You're a dick."

"
Is "y'uns" (sp?) considered a PAdutch-ism as well?

It's properly spelled "yinz" and it's a Pittsburgh thing.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5547 on: October 14, 2009, 08:51:52 pm »

As a former Pennsylvanian, I am guilty of saying "You coming with?" and the like.  I never liked "all" in that usage, though, drove me nuts.  Someone would say "The potato chips are all" and I'd be like "All what?  All broken in tiny pieces?  All covered with rat poison?  What?  Oh, all gone.  Why didn't you say that, then?" 

And they would look at me with that look that says "You're a dick."

"
It's properly spelled "yinz" and it's a Pittsburgh thing.

My mom stops sentences in the middle all the time and I've kind of picked up the habit. I don't do  it nearly as often as she does. I've found if I repeat the last 2 words of her sentence she'll actually finish it. Damn my Pennsyltuckian genes.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5548 on: October 14, 2009, 09:20:06 pm »

Someone would say "The potato chips are all" and I'd be like "All what?  All broken in tiny pieces?  All covered with rat poison?  What?  Oh, all gone.  Why didn't you say that, then?" 
That would drive me batshit.  People dropping ideas off in the middle.



of a sentence!  Damnit!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5549 on: October 14, 2009, 09:45:55 pm »

Meanwhile, my about-to-expire license is considered an acceptable primary ID by the BMV even though it has an incorrect address on it and no SSN.

So I started using an old license instead.  Most people didn't notice that it had expired, but there were occassions when it was.  On those occassions It too was denied.  I tried to plead "The purpose of this interaction is to establish my identity.  This document does that.  The fact that the license is expired does not negate that fact.  CASH MY fuck*ng CHECK DOUCHEBAG!!!"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 878   Go Up