Oh, I'm absolutely not willing to do that either. And I have very thick, wavy hair (too wavy to pull off straight styles but not wavy enough to have curls). But my stylist showed me how to straighten my hair with just a blowdryer, my fingers, and a dab of smoothing cream. It works much better than using a round brush (which apparently adds volume, which I don't need) and it's much faster and easier.
She's a great stylist, because she not only gives good cuts, but she'll say, "OK, when you try to re-create this at home, you want to make sure to part it on an angle like this and blow it towards the back of your head like this." She's less like a stylist and more like a personal hair trainer. Everyone else I've ever been to makes sure I look great when I leave, but I can never quite get my hair to look that way again until I go back. Paola took an extra 20 minutes with me today to make sure I would be able to do it easily and without special products or equipment. I tell you, she's worth her weight in gold.