Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349482 times)

0 Members and 161 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5925 on: November 12, 2009, 04:38:21 pm »

*bows down*  You da Woman! *high five*

Nah, I just have an MA in history, is all. I've done this once or twice, myself.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5926 on: November 12, 2009, 04:45:02 pm »

Yes, I think that is definitely what i need to do.

In other news: American Anthropological Association format is really stupid. No using "ibid?" Come on! I end up having (Boellstorff 2008:213) at the end of several sentences in a row, because I worry a lot about not citing things enough.

I am realizing that a lot of this paper turns on whether you think "I design products that I want, and then pay a company to make them for me" is just really cool, or really cool but kind of weird. I guess maybe it only seems weird in the context of a history of mass production of consumer items?

My favorite is the part where I get to talk about Second Life (because that is what the book was on that came up with one idea I'm talking about), and how they have competitions to make the best machinima (in-world movie). the prize? they use your movie as an advertisement for Second Life.
So, people are spending large amounts of unpaid time to create advertisements for a product they already pay for?

I guess the tension is that these theories, on the one hand, all say "human activity should be aimed at more than the production of profit!" and at the same time "if you're making something for free that someone else is profiting off of, you're a sucker!" Which is why it's good to bring in Blue's comments; she is very aware of the amount of money CafePress makes off of her shirt designs, and makes informed decisions, etc.
This is what I like about Anthropology. You talk about the theory, and then talk about what ACTUAL HUMAN BEINGS THINK.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5927 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:55 pm »

What you all need to do today is submit your nominations for the 2009 Touambies!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5928 on: November 12, 2009, 04:59:56 pm »

What you all need to do today is submit your nominations for the 2009 Touambies!

All done, you nagging wench!  Links and all!  *smacks hands together with a satisfied brushing motion* 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5929 on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:27 pm »


I am realizing that a lot of this paper turns on whether you think "I design products that I want, and then pay a company to make them for me" is just really cool, or really cool but kind of weird. I guess maybe it only seems weird in the context of a history of mass production of consumer items?


This is a point you need to include in your paper. Talking about how products used to be produced on a small scale for a localized market, and then because of economies of scale (Smith) we moved towards a mass-produced model for most things, and now products are being created for niche markets that are geographically disparate but socially or culturally united.

Have you talked about Etsy? That's another example of the increasing prevalence of small-scale (often individual) production items that are suddenly finding a global market due to the Internets.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5930 on: November 12, 2009, 05:10:59 pm »

All done, you nagging wench!  Links and all!  *smacks hands together with a satisfied brushing motion* 

Thank you Moonie.  Now talk to your boy Green Kool-Aid, he needs to make some nominations.  I'd like to hear from all the newbies.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5931 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:38 pm »

Have you talked about Etsy?

I believe we talked about Regretsy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5932 on: November 12, 2009, 07:04:47 pm »

I believe we talked about Regretsy.

if shes anything in real life like her commentaries illustrate, id most likely want to punch her in the face, despite the fact that i love, honor, respect, and cherish women.

(i really do like the blog and the things she finds are dreadful)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5933 on: November 13, 2009, 02:35:49 pm »

...have a first-level phone interview for a job that really suits me! 

Content Specialist
Kaplan Professional Education
Content Specialists develop and write course content, and organize, edit and layout design of course curriculum and related materials including textbooks, instructional guides, PowerPoint presentations, tests, forms, and surveys.

Wish me luck!
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5934 on: November 13, 2009, 02:39:53 pm »

...have a first-level phone interview for a job that really suits me! 

Content Specialist
Kaplan Professional Education
Content Specialists develop and write course content, and organize, edit and layout design of course curriculum and related materials including textbooks, instructional guides, PowerPoint presentations, tests, forms, and surveys.

Wish me luck!

Good luck.  I work for Kaplan teaching LSAT, GMAT and GRE prep.  They'll probably ask you about your standardized test scores...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5935 on: November 13, 2009, 02:55:38 pm »

I used to work for an student exchange company which also sold courses abroad (bla bla bla) and we dealt a lot with Kaplan back then. All the world is a pea.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5936 on: November 13, 2009, 03:12:48 pm »

...thank Wombat for passing me a gig writing product descriptions for a "deal of the day" type web site. I heard back about it today, and Ralph said "I did show him the descriptions you wrote and he's nuts over it." Then he had a list of about ten other things he wants me to do around the site for extra money (above and beyond the 10 weekly descriptions I originally signed up for) and flat-out asked how much money I want to do the work.

This is fabulous, especially since my biggest client is ankle-deep in Other Problems right now and can't be bothered to get back to me on the marketing stuff he wants me to do. Thanks, Wombles.

Also: Break a leg, blue! Break both legs! And also an arm! (But not your dominant one, that might make it hard to do the job once you get it.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5937 on: November 13, 2009, 03:32:56 pm »

Good for you! I am glad to have brought you together and even gladder that I don't have to do that job. I'm waiting to hear about a blogging gig which really doesn't pay enough and I should be glad if I don't get it, but I will be annoyed anyway.

I once started to apply for that Kaplan test prep teaching thing and they really do ask for your test scores. Which are like decades old and I no longer know what they were. I have a vague idea that you can't even get them sent to you again when they're that old. But it's also possible that I decided not to because I feel I am very far past the point in my life where people should be asking my test scores.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5938 on: November 13, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

Also: Break a leg, blue! Break both legs! And also an arm! (But not your dominant one, that might make it hard to do the job once you get it.)

among other things
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5939 on: November 13, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »

I would hope that Kaplan knows how to get the scores, because I have no earthly idea about what mine were anymore.  Other than pretty good.  I could have gotten into a school that would actually have grown me out, rather than tolerate my Frosh/Soph shenanigans and dissipation.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 878   Go Up