Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349989 times)

0 Members and 144 Guests are viewing this topic.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5985 on: November 18, 2009, 06:17:43 pm »

In other words: "A BLOO BLA BLOO BLOO BLOOOO! BLOO BLOOOO! A BLOO BLA BLOOO!"
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5986 on: November 18, 2009, 06:24:03 pm »

I got a pretty good job afterward, but I'm sure this person will be making twice what I do based on where she went to school. Fuck that shit. Anarchy now.

I don't know that you should assume that.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5987 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:49 pm »

I don't know that you should assume that.
You really don't think that an applicant with a degree from an ivy league school would have a significant leg up on an applicant with one from a community college? I dunno, man....
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5988 on: November 18, 2009, 06:51:35 pm »

You really don't think that an applicant with a degree from an ivy league school would have a significant leg up on an applicant with one from a community college? I dunno, man....

Assuming you're applying for the same job, and that you are the same race and gender, yes, an ivy league grad would have a leg up.

I went to a private women's college with an excellent reputation and graduated cum laude a year early. Then I went for my MA at a nationally respected university and maintained a GPA of 3.8 over 36 course hours.

I now spend my days doing laundry, washing dishes, and cleaning poo off tiny bottoms for no pay. Occasionally, I write some words that result in my getting enough money to buy groceries for one week.

I am supported by a man who got a bachelor's degree in five years from a state school, and who had a GPA that was so low after 2 years that he had to pick up a minor in Theater to bring it up enough so that he could matriculate.

School doesn't matter as much as you think it does.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5989 on: November 18, 2009, 07:02:40 pm »

School doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

Very very true. I dropped out of college after one year, taught myself a bit about 3D animation and now do pretty alright freelancing. I regularly get served coffee by people with 6 figures of debt who went to MICA (an art school in Baltimore that is actually really good, but a lot of people who go there assume they'll be able to get by on the degree alone).
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5990 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:41 pm »

Also, you go to Wash U, Inev? My brother just graduated from there in May. Amazing campus. He took me to Blueberry Hill where we had some really good burgers, great beer, and spent a few hours playing pinball trying to beat the top score.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5991 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:17 pm »

You really don't think that an applicant with a degree from an ivy league school would have a significant leg up on an applicant with one from a community college? I dunno, man....

No, I think that you can't assume that income correlates to educational background in the situation you've described.  I went to Wash U and my income... well... the less said about my income the better.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5992 on: November 18, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »

Well, this is all making me feel better about things. I've never seen things from that side, so I shouldn't've just assumed that.

Come to think of it, though, I should've probably realized that that was the case. A friend of mine got his Master's from Yale a few years ago and is now a debt collector. My friend and bandmate got his doctoral degree in composition at Wash U. and he scrapes by on piano lessons and whatever meager sum is alloted to him from what our band makes (almost nothing after overhead). On the other hand, if either of them were willing to make certain sacrifices they'd both be able to be basically well-to-do. I mean, if they ever get backed into a corner they have options in life (no matter how unappealing) which would lead to financial stability. If I left the job I have (at which I've been for nearly a decade), I'd be taking a significant pay cut.

Anyway, I shouldn't shoot my mouth off about rich kids. I know they got problems, too.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5993 on: November 18, 2009, 09:01:31 pm »

Anyway, I shouldn't shoot my mouth off about rich kids. I know they got problems, too.

Not to belabor a point, but they ain't all rich.  Most, probably, but not all.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5994 on: November 18, 2009, 09:32:19 pm »

30 rock's kenneth, when his assistance was rejected: "i feel about as useful as a mom's college degree"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5995 on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:17 pm »

Not to belabor a point, but they ain't all rich.  Most, probably, but not all.
Can't you just let me behave like the close-minded, hostile trailer trash that I am? Just this once?
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5996 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »

Hard to think of anything in Stockton as being posh.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5997 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:03 pm »

...continue ickfest '09.  The phlegm.  Oh god, the phlegm.

Also, have the most akward, inopportune photo of me posted on the internet from last weekends bicycle races.

http://photos.oregonvelo.com/p/cc0908r1/cc0908mjb0002_12_6_27

I'm either a zombie, or hell of circumstantial.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5998 on: November 19, 2009, 03:56:56 am »

Yes, i go to WashU. Some of the people who go here... do very well in their science courses, but when you talk to them or read their papers or ask them to form an opinion, they do not do so well. I don't get this... they are not nerd-types. They are normal seeming people who are very good at acing chemistry exams. What scares me is that many of these people are supposedly future doctors.

There are other people where... I just don't understand how they go to this school. Or any college. Come on.

Today a girl expressed the following thoughts in very rapid succession:
-I didn't realize you could access google docs on any computer. I thought you had to be on the computer you wrote it on.
-someone called something "seminal" and she said "wait, like the indians?"
-"giraffebone: Stuck in your throat. Why did they name their album that? *a minute passes* Oh, is it like, the bone gets stuck in your throat? Haha."

I also know people at this school who are some of the smartest people I have ever met. These are mostly people on scholarship.
Funny, it was the same way at my expensive-ass private high school.

Mr Trout-- the campus is very pretty in a way, but it kind of grates on you after a while. I will look online for a picture of the new dorm building they finished for this year... multiple people, upon first seeing it, said "Disneyland." They are on a streak of destroying functional, good old buildings, and replacing them with poorly designed, pretty new buildings.
for instance, the old cafeteria didn't have enough seating for all the students that need lunch. they closed it, and built a new building. the new building has even less seating, and is laid out essentially like a maze. Every time I enter this building (which is almost every day) I become disoriented. But it is very pretty.
Also the story I keep hearing is that they slashed every budget except landscaping/building maintenance when economic hard times hit. goddamn.

also, we take ungodly amounts of money from Monsanto and large coal companies. but oh well.

my final gripe with that shitty new building is that they replaced things like "macaroni and cheese of acceptable quality" and "actually pretty good mexican food" with things like "cumin & green pepper macaroni and cheese" and weird gourmet shit.
People act like I'm an asshole when I complain about this. But my thought is this:
No matter what food is there, it is being prepared cafeteria-style. It is prepared for large numbers of people. It is much easier to make 300 hamburgers than it is to make 300 portobello-cumin-pepper burgers with vegantacular sauce. It is much easier to mess up these stupid, overpriced dishes.
Also, like, I don't want a ham and cheese sandwich with cranberry mayonnaise. Why is that the sandwich special every wednesday. Make a normal damn sandwich. Please just make me a normal damn ham and cheese sandwich like they had in the old place. They had these ham and cheese sandwiches that were always hot, and you could just grab one and pay and go, and they were so good and... now they have these sandwiches with cranberry mayonnaise and olive spread and shit.

I try to think that my tuition just goes to pay professor's salaries and stuff. I am happy with the education I am getting, I just can't handle the bizarre student body sometimes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #5999 on: November 19, 2009, 03:57:40 am »

Generally the bicycle is supposed to carry you.  Perhaps this is why you're in the beginner/unicycle category?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 878   Go Up