Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346202 times)

0 Members and 167 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6375 on: December 16, 2009, 07:52:15 pm »

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I hope it works out for you.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6376 on: December 16, 2009, 08:07:59 pm »

It's beautiful.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6377 on: December 16, 2009, 08:14:04 pm »

Cann'd for bravado.  The world needs more men to tell the ladies what they really think.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6378 on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:33 pm »

Anyway, as those of you on Facebook know, today I'm gonna send a secret something to a secret someone.

Ahem.  My profile here clearly demands Facebook friendships.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6379 on: December 16, 2009, 10:04:11 pm »

Dude you don't mention her cans even once! What the hell?!

I kid.

Lovely work. 

I wouldn't like it if someone passed such a poem to me at work though.  I suppose it all depends on the sort of work place though.  In a small workplace such as mine, unsolicited passion -- especially if unreciprocated -- would be so very awkward. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6380 on: December 17, 2009, 03:14:12 am »

...well, not today, but when the opportunity presents itself, I'll hand the poem below to this one girl who has never acknowledged my existence in the whole history of ever, here at work [I'm not even expecting play with this, she's got a boyfriend. It's just that I fuck*ng need to do something about it, or my liver will suffer for it]:

Girl With Downcast Eyes

When I once recklessly looked at the Sun
I learned that too much light can also blind.
And these my days of blindness have begun
When I looked at you, faeries’ fairest kind.

Like the Sun, you need only to exist
To give my world its movement & strife.
So tethered to your orbit I’ll persist:
Know that you now possess this one man’s life.

But when by chance I chance upon you
You cast down your eyes and the Sun goes cold,
I’m left bereft, my day turns into night.

O angel of light clear eyes and hair of gold,
You’re beautiful; please be merciful too:
Once in a while, send me a ray of light.”

***



...Because I'm a fuck*ng STUD, that's the fuck why.


(By the way, opinions, suggestions, etc, regarding both technicalities & the tone of the thing, are welcome, I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with it, but I'm at that stage where all I get is the sound of my brain chewing on itself. Thanks.)

* * *

Oh, 100 cans, that looks neat ^^

Wow. That is really great, deja. I think all women harbor secret desires to have poems or songs written about them. That is a beautiful poem. I like it.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6381 on: December 17, 2009, 03:41:22 am »

Also, this may be an impossible task with your spouse. Having lived with a roommate who wouldn't turn lights off, I've found that if it wasn't drilled into you at an early age (my father was a nut about energy conservation back when it was still underground) it may be a lost cause.

Yeah, same here, but my dad was just cheap.

Also, door slammers.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6382 on: December 17, 2009, 03:55:40 am »

I wouldn't like it if someone passed such a poem to me at work though.  I suppose it all depends on the sort of work place though.  In a small workplace such as mine, unsolicited passion -- especially if unreciprocated -- would be so very awkward. 
This was my thought. Though it is a really nice poem and I wonder how it was received.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6383 on: December 17, 2009, 04:42:19 am »

I wrote 6 pages in 2 hours (a new personal best) and turned it in a few minutes before the deadline. It was an open-book take-home exam, though, so I think I did very well. The questions were... they were the kind of questions that would have been hard if it wasn't open-book?
But as it was, it may as well have just been "write down what it says on page 10 of When Experiments Travel, and then what it says on page 242 of Will to Live. Extra credit: Who is the best professor ever?"

Then I spent all day napping/hanging out with my girlfriend. Suddenly it is 10:30 and I need to wash every dish in my house, and insulate every window in my house. Do we have enough insulation stuff to do this? No, we do not. One of the boxes I bought is missing.

Theoretically I can be all lazy and take an extra day to do this, since I am driving home. But I would rather not do that. We'll see how this goes.

One semester left!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6384 on: December 17, 2009, 05:31:05 am »

Extra credit: Who is the best professor ever?

Did he have one line for high fives and another line for make outs?

One semester left!

I thought this was just your second year?

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6385 on: December 17, 2009, 06:12:14 am »

No, I am a senior. I cannot really believe it.

When I got there to turn the exam in he kind of acted like he wasn't sure what I was there for.
Then when I told him, oh, I'm taking Anthro 490 with you next semester, he felt the need to explain to me what the class is. Yeah, I know, I am in it.

He tried to explain his new book to us, and it sounds like it is either really brilliant, or he has lost his mind. Like, it is either going to be awesome, or something that will be in some sort of pop psychology/new age section at Borders.
I have two conflicting images:
1. it is going to be an insane, dense, theoretical thing that talks about "faces"
2. it is literally a book about faces, with pictures of different people's faces and different faces people make.

I alternate between thinking he is awesome, and thinking he is a big goofball/maybe secretly not as awesome as people think. He definitely treads a weird line between "I am a social scientist and do not judge, I am really good at looking at all sides" and "I am really liberal in a way that is like a weird stereotype, I think I know what is best for you and will tell you so."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6386 on: December 17, 2009, 07:32:54 am »

Maybe he means the faces we present to different people in our lives?  Or maybe he's a big Harvey Dent fan.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6387 on: December 17, 2009, 07:43:40 am »

oh, yeah, he explained in detail what it is going to be about.

just a lot of talk about "how much a little thing like a smile can brighten someone's day."

It was strange.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6388 on: December 17, 2009, 10:56:35 am »

Thanks for the encouragement, you lovely figments. I'll let you know how it went so we can laugh together. Side_show, I get your point and agree with it. Here it's a big company and I rarely bump into this girl, though. So there'll be several walls and corridors between us blocking all the awkwardness after I hand this thing out. Hopefully.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6389 on: December 17, 2009, 04:06:22 pm »

I am utterly into the whole "You're lovely; I adore you" school of poetry writing.  Dejavroom, your poem is beautiful, well-written and expressive, and since you've known her for a while and held your tongue, I'm all for giving the poem to her. 

However, I have the unsettling feeling that the subject of your affection probably doesn't deserve you.   :-\
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 878   Go Up