Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341232 times)

0 Members and 133 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6855 on: February 11, 2010, 06:10:44 pm »

heh.

"loan application information or facebook update?"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6856 on: February 11, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »

Today, the first professor in China to teach a college class on homosexuality came to visit my class. He kept asking us questions and then telling us to look up the answers online when we didn't know them. His slides were all half in Chinese, which he did not translate.

Also he asked us the question, "What percentage of gay men do you think marry lesbians?"

Apparently this is fairly common in China, as a way to get rid of pressure from parents to marry. But at first we all kind of laughed and weren't sure what was going on.
Initially it sounds like some sort of joke where the person doesn't understand what being gay means.

Also: "If you were a Chinese parent, maybe you don't know anything about China, but, if your children was a lesbian, or a gay, would you let them come out, or would you let them marry a same-sex partner? Pick only one, one or the other, not both. If you were Chinese. think about the different culture. one or the other." We just kind of stared at him until he moved to the next question.

There were a lot of points where the fact that our professor speaks Chinese could have come in handy, but I think she was trying to avoid embarrassing him by telling him we couldn't understand his English.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6857 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »

It would have been awesome if one of your classmates was very much for his/her child staying in the closet but marrying a same sex partner, and this classmate responded as such (enthusiastically).  It would have led to some fantastic misunderstandings.

When I was at an international conference, I tried to circulate among the folks who didn't speak much English, because I really wanted to learn as much as I could from them.  One time I was hanging out with an Indonesian lady and a woman from New Guinea, and the woman from New Guinea had this awesome patterned shirt that was like this M C Escher bird/giraffe pattern, only with monkeys interlocking instead, and I was all "I really like your shirt" to her.  And she looked all "?" and asked the Indonesian lady a question.  The Indonesian lady, who also didn't understand what I was trying to say still spoke a bit more English, so she asked me what I meant.  So I start gesturing about shirts (pointing at mine, pointing at theirs), and saying "shirt," and then I say "with the monkeys!" And apparently this was totally hilarious.  They both burst out laughing, and the woman from Indonesia was all "monkey, monkey!" (in the Indonesian language you say something twice if it's plural) and the woman from New Guinea was sort of shocked but also smiling, then there was more discussion and a large amount of laughter between them.  Somehow, this seemed to become a joke among the non-English speaking conference delegates.  I would occasionally walk past some delegates and hear them mutter "monkey, monkey" under their breath and titter as I passed.  I always wondered exactly what the joke was.  I'm pretty sure it was of the "at my expense" variety. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6858 on: February 13, 2010, 01:59:40 am »

my roommate felt the need to tell me that my girlfriend "complains too much." This is like Paris Hilton saying someone is "too slutty." I feel like we are approaching the point where we start screaming and punching each other.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6859 on: February 13, 2010, 02:01:16 am »

...look out the window, see snow falling again, and drop an F-bomb in front of my children.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6860 on: February 13, 2010, 02:01:40 am »

my roommate felt the need to tell me that my girlfriend "complains too much." This is like Paris Hilton saying someone is "too slutty." I feel like we are approaching the point where we start screaming and punching each other.

a good reply would have been, "only about you, fingertrap asshole."
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6861 on: February 13, 2010, 02:09:20 am »

my roommate felt the need to tell me that my girlfriend "complains too much." This is like Paris Hilton saying someone is "too slutty." I feel like we are approaching the point where we start screaming and punching each other.

Put Marmite in his butter and watch him flip
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6862 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:01 am »

"Of course she complains a lot, she has to keep her jaw limber so that it can manage to contain my enormous c*ck."

Just, y'know, just see if that takes him aback.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6863 on: February 13, 2010, 04:26:20 pm »

"Of course she complains a lot, she has to keep her jaw limber so that it can manage to contain my enormous c*ck."

Just, y'know, just see if that takes him aback.
I dated a girl with TMJ syndrome which results in spastic jaw tightening...


Also today I will meet Danny Devito.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6864 on: February 13, 2010, 04:33:12 pm »

...hear Houston's mayor on the radio. The first specific thing she mentioned about the city was the Art Car scene.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6865 on: February 13, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »

I heard that too.  We have a cool mayor.  Specifically she mentioned Henatron and the Von Tiki.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6866 on: February 13, 2010, 05:03:29 pm »

...look out the window, see snow falling again, and drop an F-bomb in front of my children.

you need this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzKvxnQBmM
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6867 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:02 pm »

... Welcome the fairly successful completion of a harrowing week.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6868 on: February 13, 2010, 10:58:25 pm »

Happy St. Jacks Day!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #6869 on: February 13, 2010, 11:00:44 pm »

happy new year, china!

today i'm gonna go to a secret supper that i just found out is in a high rise with a view of downtown. the dress code is "cosmopolitan" whatever tf that means
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 878   Go Up