This was especially frustrating because this one guy just... could not stop saying things in ways that rubbed people completely the wrong way.
No one can argue with, you know, I am a nice dude and I like my neighbors and this is where I could afford to buy a house that is near my job, and like, I'm not being a dick here, I fixed up an old house and now it is worth more.
But then he has to be like, making these weird statements that it was easy to misunderstand as "everyone should live in the kind of neighborhood I want them to live in."
also people getting all defensive about the current state of north St Louis, which is like getting defensive about the state of your house right after half of it burned down. Or... some better metaphor.
It was like, no, I do not think people moving in and renovating houses that have been abandoned for 5 years is "gentrification." or if it is, it is not the kind that should make you get all mad.
Yes, maybe your neighborhood would benefit from there being a grocery store there. I don't know, people are on edge because of this current development crap that is going on there where this guy has basically acted like a 1930's radio drama capitalist, all buying up land with various companies to hide that it was really all him, all evicting people just to leave the house rotting for 10 years, all announcing that he is going to basically bulldoze a huge portion of the city and build all new stuff, and how DARE the citizens of that area be upset, it's HIS PROPERTY.