Here is a story of hope for you Asherdan ol' boy.
I once had a dog that got lost. He was lost due to the incompetence and stupidity of my room mate at the time. I had to go into the hospital due to an infection in my hand caused by a piece of glass stuck in my flesh from a automobile accident three days prior. The infection was actually caused by the removal of the glass by a dirty instrument the doctor used to extract the glass. The next day I had red streaks running up my arm so I visited a different doctor who admitted me to the hospital.
My roommate Albert, my brother's brother in law (now ex), was with me as well as the dog, Dinglehopper was his name. When we got to the hospital I gave Albert my keys and told him to take Dinglehopper and my truck home. He didn't do that exactly. Instead he went to where we both worked, I've forgotten why he went out there, it was a Saturday, and he dropped Dinglehopper at the shop.
Dinglehopper had been to the shop before, but only briefly and never left alone there.
Three days later I get home from the hospital and there is no Dinglehopper. I ask Albert where he is and this is when I hear that he was dropped at the shop. I flipped out of course and immediately raced to the shop only to find Dinglehopper was nowhere to be found. I searched the neighborhood the best as I could, but he was gone. He had been gone for three days no doubt, there was no fence at the shop to keep him in.
End of story?
About 10 years later I was leaving the post office with my mail when I noticed a purple truck with an older gentleman behind the wheel and a little black and white dog sitting in his lap with his feet up on the wheel. It took me about three steps before it registered, but there he was, that was Dinglehopper, I'm sure of it. I turned around to go back and say something to him, but he was pulling out and had already started moving forward. I raced to my truck and tried to pursue him which is kinda crazy I know, and what am I going to say to him when I caught him. Hey, that's my dog that I lost 10 years ago. "Oh?"
I wouldn't have even wanted him back at this point I don't think. Obviously he had been well taken care of (he would have been 12-3 years old by this time) and was spoiled to death. It really made me feel good to know that my Dinglehopper didn't suffer after he became lost to me.
But poop on a hillside is alright too I suppose.