Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349477 times)

0 Members and 161 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7155 on: March 30, 2010, 02:25:49 pm »

Today I'm gonna be so desperate to wring a story out of this bad idea I've been assigned, I'm going to ask real estate agents about ghosts. Oh dear.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7156 on: March 31, 2010, 06:32:43 am »

A paper that was going to be due thursday got pushed back to tuesday. So of course, instead of working on the other huge paper I have due thursday, I fucked around all day. The rest of this week, and all of next week, are going to blow.

Also: I really need to do laundry, and my girlfriend's parents are going to be in town this weekend.

She is trying to convince me no hijinks will ensue if I sleep at her house while her parents are in town, but that is so obviously untrue.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7157 on: March 31, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »

I think we've all wanted to say something like this at some point.  Beautiful.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7158 on: March 31, 2010, 04:31:46 pm »

I think we've all wanted to say something like this at some point.  Beautiful.
weeping in bliss
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7159 on: March 31, 2010, 04:38:45 pm »

...find a poll on Mothering.com's forums indicating that my recent article was the most popular piece in the March/April issue by a fair margin.

I will celebrate later, when I have received and deposited my check, thanks.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7160 on: March 31, 2010, 05:04:39 pm »

...find a poll on Mothering.com's forums indicating that my recent article was the most popular piece in the March/April issue by a fair margin.

I will celebrate later, when I have received and deposited my check, thanks.

Hooray for you!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7161 on: March 31, 2010, 05:18:10 pm »

I will celebrate later, when I have received and deposited my check, thanks.

Word. You can't eat popularity.

One of the last stories I wrote for the AP has basically been stolen by blogs all over the world. The subject of the story is thrilled - she is all "cool, they are writing about me." All I can think of is that I hope someday I'll do something that popular under a contractual arrangement that actually gets me money for it. Worst of all, because the AP is a bunch of 19-century idiots, my story is disappearing from the Web now, leaving behind all the stories of the people who read my piece and stole and rewrote the idea.... sigh.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7162 on: March 31, 2010, 06:51:38 pm »

oh my god, it is almost 80 degrees out, and short skirts and flouncy dresses and short shorts are in full effect.

there is only one thing I want to do with my day, and it does not involve writing this huge-ass paper I need to write for tomorrow.

hint: flouncy dress, picnic, cold beer, sunshine.

Maybe I would even wear shorts, like some kind of wierdo who dresses differently depending on the weather.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7163 on: March 31, 2010, 08:33:45 pm »

hint: flouncy dress, picnic, cold beer, sunshine.

Maybe I would even wear shorts, like some kind of wierdo who dresses differently depending on the weather.

Dude, I think you'd look much more like a weirdo wearing the flouncy dress.  But, you know, whatever mows your lawn.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7164 on: April 01, 2010, 03:03:33 am »

also: yes, it does seem like a trap.

today, I did my first ever ethnographic interview. I really enjoyed it. Listening to the recording, my voice is a lot lower than I realized.
Also, I say "like" every other word. Oops.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:44:25 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7165 on: April 01, 2010, 04:03:02 am »

Listening to the recording, my voice is a lot lower than I realized.
Also, I say "like" every other word. Oops.
Huh.  Mine's higher than I thought.  I don't particularly like the way I sound to other people.  Fortunately they don't seem to mind.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7166 on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:19 am »

Also, based on listening to recordings of my radio show my freshman year, my voice has gotten deeper/better.

Something about my voice is... distinctive? I need to listen more to say exactly what it is.

I also noticed that, in fact, I do pronounce certain words really weirdly. I have been told this before, but it's hard to hear when the words are coming out of my own mouth.

"Also," for instance, is like "auwlso." No one else in my family does this, people in Charlotte do not do this, I do not know what this is. I say a very exaggerated AH sound in Horrible, as well.



Who are these people who believe things on the internet on April Fool's day? Come on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:43:41 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7167 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:15 am »

inev who was your favorite dj before you got into being a dj and do you talk like him (it's been known to happen)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7168 on: April 01, 2010, 06:26:03 am »

I used to kind of do a weird Ira Glass tone, but that stopped. I have no idea if I talk like someone now.
I don't really listen to radio, other than on my station.

Although I thought about him today, listening to my interview, because I realized that it is kind of hard to interview someone without sounding stupid. At least, in my case, because I am not good at phrasing questions, and end up rambling on trying to explain what I mean.

This is, potentially, one of the last times I will get to be in my favorite situation:
someone complains to me about the paper we have due tomorrow, and says something like, I only have 5 pages.
And I say, I have not started it yet.
That was 9 hours ago, and I still have nothing. I hate this damn class. Barf-a-roni.

Just did the math and figured out that if I turn in this paper draft a day late, it will only mean 1 point taken off of my final grade for the class, whereas if I turn in an abominable paper it will definitely result in more points off. Do I care enough about this? No. Goodnight.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:54:57 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7169 on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »

...let's just assume that I was wrong. They include that kind of stuff so they can drop them into the chapter review questions and see if you've been reading or scanning.

Geeze-Louise!

OK, I don't get it. If you can get the answers to the real questions right when you're scanning, why do they want you do also be filling up your brain with irrelevant nonsense?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 878   Go Up