Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348466 times)

0 Members and 210 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7170 on: April 01, 2010, 02:00:36 pm »


Something about my voice is... distinctive? I need to listen more to say exactly what it is.


You sound a lot like my best childhood friend's husband, as I mentioned when you called on my birthday. It is distinctive, but not quite a one-in-a-million voice like Casey Kasem or Sterling Holloway. It's more like, one in a hundred thousand. There's something in the tambre that has, I think, a little more vibration than most. It's not a deep baritone like Thurl Ravenscroft, but it has a similarly rich quality at a higher pitch. (Higher than Thurl; still slightly deeper than average.)

Pedro has a deeper-than-average voice, but it is very soft and has very little resonance. If it were a can of paint, it would be a matte finish, whereas inev's would be satin and Ravenscroft's would be glossy. Pedro's carries like a motherfucker, though; when he calls the kids inside you can hear him across the whole neighborhood.

I hate the way I sound in recordings or over the phone. I deliberately drop my voice when making a business call because otherwise I think I sound too young. (Like, prepubescent young.) Inside my head, I have a beautiful husky contralto with soft vowels and sharp consonants. It's so disappointing when I actually open my mouth.

These are the things I think about. Perhaps I have Issues.

OH ALSO: Today I'm gonna live my dream of walking into a bookstore and buying my own work.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7171 on: April 01, 2010, 02:14:50 pm »

OH ALSO: Today I'm gonna live my dream of walking into a bookstore and buying my own work.

Nice.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7172 on: April 01, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »

Thurl Ravenscroft,

1 can for Thurl Ravenscroft and the Grinchy goodness associated therewith.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7173 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:09 pm »

research HDDs for my laptop.  i want to get more room for BS.  Adobe CS and 3DS Max need between 7-10gb of space and i only have 2-3gb available, after getting rid of some things.

37.x gb total?! wtf?! pain in the ay-uss, much?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:32:13 pm by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7174 on: April 01, 2010, 03:25:20 pm »

If it were a can of paint, it would be a matte finish, whereas inev's would be satin and Ravenscroft's would be glossy.

www.ifyourvoicewaspaint.com
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7175 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:34 am »

Did you really just say my voice is like "satin?" Wow.

Is this an april fool's day thing? No wonder I get all the ladies.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7176 on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:31 am »

Did you really just say my voice is like "satin?" Wow.

Is this an april fool's day thing? No wonder I get all the ladies.

haha!  i bet you blushed.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7177 on: April 02, 2010, 03:19:01 am »

this is such a RADRADRAD article!  sexual ladies FTW!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7178 on: April 02, 2010, 03:22:27 am »

Today, my GF's parents got into town. I offered several times to give her directions to good restaurants, and she kept saying that that was silly, her parents would look up directions on their car GPS. Eventually I gave up.
I say hi to them when they show up, her mom gives me a weird hug that I didn't know how to respond to, they leave to walk to her dorm. 3 minutes later I get a call-- the GPS is broken, could I please tell them how to get to X restaurant?

for some reason this makes me feel like Asherdan.

(secret: the one place she wanted to go was the one place I couldn't remember how to get to, but I did an iPhone-TV-ad worthy trick where I looked it up on google maps while still on the phone with her. Would have been able to drive there, but forgot the name of the street.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7179 on: April 02, 2010, 03:38:56 am »

for some reason this makes me feel like Asherdan.


Better get used to it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7180 on: April 02, 2010, 04:21:07 am »

her mom gives me a weird hug that I didn't know how to respond to

She grabby?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7181 on: April 02, 2010, 04:32:47 am »

They were on the other side of a fence. Before we figured out where the gate was, my girlfriend gave her mom a hug through the fence. And then her mom gestured that she wanted to hug me through the fence. I had never hugged her before. It just caught me off guard. I guess this means they like me?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7182 on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:37 pm »

Today I'm gonna clean out the mother fuck*ng basement with the husband.  It's been two years of build up down there.  We are starting to look like mini hoarders.  Holy shit.

We have a lot of sale worthy stuff, so I'm thinking witty ads with photos on the local used stuff for sale sites are in order.  Fun!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7183 on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:32 pm »

Did you really just say my voice is like "satin?" Wow.

Is this an april fool's day thing? No wonder I get all the ladies.

Specifically, I said your voice is comparable to satin finish interior latex paint. Take that however you like. ;)

I think I've been spending too much time in Home Depot lately.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7184 on: April 02, 2010, 04:34:08 pm »

You're not going to want him to talk in the kitchen.  With that finish it won't really be scrub-able.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 878   Go Up