Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343452 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7785 on: July 06, 2010, 08:32:24 am »

This dude I know's brother is the kid who eats shrooms in the beginning of Super Troopers and he married one of the chicks from Mad Men.  SMH.  Also he was the dolphin boy in Bubble Boy.

I'm like, "Fuck OFFFFF, guy."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:26:45 am by robot_god »
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7786 on: July 06, 2010, 09:23:11 am »

wait, dude, he isn't married to "a girl from Mad Men."

He's married to CHRISTINA HENDRICKS.


that's like...

I don't know what that's like. But. Pictures are posted of her on Reddit every day. she is one of the X sexiest women in the world according to some magazine. she is like...
she has those curves, you know? those curves.
*THUMP THUMP*
THIS IS A HOMEBOY.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7787 on: July 06, 2010, 09:31:26 am »

Exactly, I try to avoid really wrapping my head around the details because then like... if I did, I would probably just start cutting the sides of my mouth with a scalpel, more and more until I died.
Logged
ACHIEVE

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7788 on: July 06, 2010, 11:58:59 am »

Has anyone else seen that movie? It's fine in the "things that go boom" genre.

i did.  'twas rad because the movie, in general, and specifically the characters were true without ripping off the originals completely.  it would have been cooler if jessica biels bosom had been more visible at times, but that is my only complaint.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7789 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12:11 pm »

This dude I know's brother is the kid who eats shrooms in the beginning of Super Troopers and he married one of the chicks from Mad Men.  SMH.  Also he was the dolphin boy in Bubble Boy.

I'm like, "Fuck OFFFFF, guy."

This guy?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7790 on: July 06, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »

This seems kind of like BS, but it looks damn cool.



Not afraid of the police.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7791 on: July 06, 2010, 05:43:10 pm »

Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7792 on: July 06, 2010, 07:12:36 pm »

this article just confirmed my suspicion:
if Saint Louis (the city) were combined with Saint Louis (the county), we wouldn't have such high reported crime rates, dropout rates, etc. Also, we would be the 7th biggest city in the country, instead of the 53rd.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7793 on: July 06, 2010, 07:19:13 pm »

this article just confirmed my suspicion:
if Saint Louis (the city) were combined with Saint Louis (the county), we wouldn't have such high reported crime rates, dropout rates, etc. Also, we would be the 7th biggest city in the country, instead of the 53rd.
That's kinda comparing apples to oranges, though, ain't it? I mean, doesn't every proper city have a suburban area around it that would change the population and demographics if incorporated into the city limits?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7794 on: July 06, 2010, 07:24:56 pm »

yeah, but the line in St Louis is in a place that made sense in 1900, and doesn't anymore. It was particularly acrimonious, because at the time the city felt that the county was leaching their resources. St Louis  county is where everyone lives, in a million little towns/cities with their own libraries, fire departments, police, etc.
Like, I live in St Louis (city), and so I never see cops. Literally across the street is University City, where there are tons of police, who love to shut down parties. A few blocks south is Clayton, where they clean the streets twice a week(!?) while they only do it once a month here in the City.
I don't know if those examples really mean anything. But the division between the city and county was a bad idea.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7795 on: July 07, 2010, 12:19:58 am »

well, I think the argument made in the article is partially that the County suffers because of St Louis' reputation. When you say you're a business from Clayton, MO, nobody knows where the hell that is. So you say Saint Louis, and they think "most dangerous city in America."

Man, St Louis really fucked itself over when they split off.


I hate having to list References. I don't have any freaking references, that's why I'm applying to work at a damn sandwich shop.
I am trying to contact professors, so I can put them, but they are all... anthropologists who are currently in foreign countries. They are not answering emails.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:02:11 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7796 on: July 07, 2010, 03:03:37 am »

This seems kind of like BS, but it looks damn cool.

for some reason one of the most painful things about watching Mad Men, for me, is that they never explain things to their children. In situations where it is really clear that that is all the kid wants. COME ON. She doesn't want a damn toy. Just freaking talk to her.

I guess that back in the day, people didn't cater to their children like they do now. Adults lived in an adult world, instead of a huge nanny state full of Red Robin restaurants, a world where people can sue popcorn manufacturers and win huge settlements for not printing on the box "DO NOT FEED POPCORN TO CHILDREN UNDER AGE FIVE, YOU FUCK*NG RETARD, BECAUSE THEY WILL CHOKE AND DIE EVEN IF YOU ARE RIGHT THERE NEXT TO THEM." Kids were expected to entertain themselves while the grownups smoked, drank, or gossiped with their friends.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7797 on: July 07, 2010, 03:24:41 am »

but what kills me is like...
I don't know.

When my sister was little, if my mom noticed she was watching her put on lipstick, she'd show her how to do it, and maybe put lipstick on her, or explain that it's just for grown-ups, or whatever.
instead, on mad men, she ignores her daughter, and her daughter puts on lipstick when she isn't looking, and then she screams at her and sends her to her room.

or like, instead of saying "you have a new baby brother, and he loves you, and we love you, and it's OK that you're a little freaked out, but he's going to grow up to be your brother, and look up to you!" or whatever, betty draper... screams at her, and then buys her a toy like that'll make everything better.

eventually Don Draper does the "look, he's just a baby, and you were a baby once, and it's OK" thing, though.



A famous story in my family is that Red Robin was my favorite restaurant when I was 4, and once I tried to give the Hostess 20 dollars to give us a table before the other people waiting. (my parents gave me the money and said I should "take my aunt out to dinner" when she babysat me.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7798 on: July 07, 2010, 03:29:05 am »

I mean, if I had a kid, I am SURE I would be one of those annoying helicopter moms who hovers and frets and explains everything to Junior and dumbs down my entire life to a completely child-centric universe.  But that's just not how it was done back in the day. Maybe there were a few people who did attachment parenting back then, but for the most part I don't think it was really encouraged.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7799 on: July 07, 2010, 04:20:41 am »

I'm not talking about dumbing down your entire life, I'm talking about acting like your child is a person instead of ignoring them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 878   Go Up