Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345545 times)

0 Members and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7830 on: July 12, 2010, 02:54:58 am »

I like oversized minor league ballparks as major league ballparks, though.

Fuck the bells and whistles, gimmie a damn sightline and a beer.

I wanna watch a baseball game not go to Six Flags.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7831 on: July 12, 2010, 03:00:38 am »

Have you been to Citi Field yet? What's your verdict?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7832 on: July 12, 2010, 03:20:53 am »

I don't think robo-dude is complaining about a lack of bells and whistles (come to think of it, there are plenty of obnoxious bells and whistles at minor league games in the form of between-inning entertainment).

I did not know that there was even a vague stereotype about adopted children looking a certain way.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7833 on: July 12, 2010, 03:36:28 am »

The sightlines aren't great.  I won't say they're awful, but Shea had the best ever and Citi... well, it's like all the seats are looking at 2nd base, and not the mound.

I liked how Shea was so tall, you just looked down and had the best seat in the house.  Citifield, well when you're in your seat, you know it's a pitcher's park.  Far away.

But they designed it so that you want to get out of your seat and walk around, you can walk the entire circumference.  Mets fans brag about that, because they aren't entertained by the team and are more entertained deciding not to buy a bottle of Hoergarten.  "You can't get these beers in Yankee Stadium," then they buy a cup of Bud Light, every time.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7834 on: July 12, 2010, 04:56:32 am »

To be fair, I ain't been to Citi yet, I'm just defending the idea of the major league park as the oversized minor league park in general.

Dodger Stadium is basically that in all the best ways.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7835 on: July 12, 2010, 05:37:49 am »

All of MLB's stadiums today want to harken back to stadiums of the olden days and from all I can tell they are all fuck*ng retarded.  They have quirks intentionally built into them which is just fake bullshit.  Fenway Park has the Green Monster out of necessity.  They didn't just build the left field super short and build a high wall to compensate because they thought it would be cool.  Minute Maid Park in Houston for instance has a couple of flag poles and a weird little hill in the outfield for some strange odd reason.

Nevermind that, the biggest problem with Minute Maid park is the sightlines of the field.  Whoever designed that stadium should have their engineering license revoked.  I've noticed this from two different locations in the park that you can't see certain parts of the field.  It was bad enough when I was in the cheap seats and I missed several plays in right field because the field was blocked by a weird outcropping of seats they put in to be different I guess.  But I had the same problem when I was in primo seats behind third base two weeks ago and noticed that a goodly portion of left field was obscured by the fact that the seating area isn't steep enough.  So when you are looking down toward the corner you are seeing the seats instead of the field.  I guess this makes it easier for the constant onslaught of vendors who were traipsing up and down the aisles in front of me the entire game trying to sell everything from beer and soda to cotton candy, or some overpriced sparkly/glowy toy, Ice Cream, Margaritas, blow up dolls, plush dolls... But it sure makes it damn hard to enjoy a ballgame.

You can say what you want about multipurpose stadiums, but I loved the Astrodome and there's one thing you can't say, that you couldn't see the field.  There isn't a seat in that stadium, and believe me, Ive been all over that son of a bitch, that doesn't give a complete view of the action.

Old Fart rant over.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7836 on: July 12, 2010, 08:58:39 am »

Some of the world's greatest works of art have only been accomplished because of the limitations they were under.  Early ballparks were stuck wherever they could afford enough land and they were made by people doing their best with what they had.  They had to be in the towns because that's where people were.

When sports got to be Big Business* the "afford" part got to be way bigger, and stadiums moved out of the cities to places where they could have enough parking lots and space for their RV parking and their "tailgaters zone" and their sponsor tents and their personal heliports.  They were designed to fit as many people as possible into as little concrete as possible and to sell those people as many beers or t-shirts as possible.  Fans still made the trek, of course, but the stadiums weren't places casual fans wanted to spend time.  The games were still the focus, but the experience was nothing special.

Enter Camden Yards.  It's a new stadium, but it's built in an old part of town, and it incorporates the limitations of the buildings around it.  It looks like it is part of the city, not something dropped in from space.  It's a comfortable space to be in for humans, and looks almost like humans built it to exist in.  It has quirks like the old stadiums but it has fine dining and many, many places to buy beer and t-shirts.  It really works.  People love it.  Suddenly it's fashionable and fun to go to the newly revamped downtown and see a baseball game.

Other teams see this and want it.  They go to HOK or other engineering firms and say things like "quirky" and "retro" and "exciting" and "here are millions of tax dollars" and then the firm gives them what they say they want.  The problem is the people saying this are the ones who think "I had a great time at the ballpark when I was 6 and a baseball game was a rare treat for me, and that park had obstructed views and crazy sightlines and exposed beams all over" and think it was the park's design flaws that made it that fun.  So the new park has all the soullessness of the concrete boxes with maybe a prettier facade, but then added quirks like poor sight lines and home run fences that aren't home run fences but rather a big yellow line painted across a wall.  It also has luxury boxes and a white tablecloth restaurant and a biergarten and, I dunno, maybe a slide or a train or a sandbox or a pool or something, and then they fill the rest of it with places for people to buy hot dogs and beer.

But the thing is that to pay for all of this extra stuff** they have to charge more.  It costs you money to park, and you have to park because while the stadiums were moving out of the city center, the rest of us were, too, and now we don't live by the new stadiums and there aren't any good public transportation options to get to them.  You can get a program to remember the game you were at, but it costs five dollars and includes about 30 pages of ads.  You can buy season tickets, but you have to buy seat licenses too if you want to stay in the same seats every year/game.  You can buy a scoop of ice cream in a batting helmet for your kid, but it costs eight bucks.  You can watch the game, but the replays on the Sony Jumbotrontm are sponsored, and the Sony Jumbotrontm itself is surrounded by ads.  Pitching changes have a sponsor.  The breaks between innings feature sausage races or a trivia contest with some schlub who will get it wrong.  The mythical family of four can lose $200 in an afternoon, easily, and still have to sit in the third deck.  Kids may love it, but their parents don't, and they don't come back that often.

I guess what I'm saying is that you'd never have gotten bleacher bums at Wrigley Field if it were made right now.  New stadiums aren't designed to have cheap seats, and nowadays there are a million other ways to waste a summer afternoon that don't charge $15 for parking.  They're not shrines built to allow fans to watch games, they're lures built to get fans into the building so the franchise (and its subcontractors, franchisees, and licensed distributors) can take their money from them.  Most people can't afford to go to every game, so they have to add on more and more crap to attract the 2-3 visit a year fan, and those fans aren't going to be paying attention to the game anyway.

I think I forgot where I was going with this.  It was something about limits, then sports got so much money they transcended limits and built crap.  And now they are trying to add the limits back in but keep the crap too, and it turns in to crap with limits that tries to sell you Coca-Cola.

And a stupid hill in Houston that's going to break someone's fuck*ng ankle someday.

Today I'm going to stay up way too late writing about baseball stadiums as a metaphor for the progression of American life in general.

*plus started hitting up cities/counties/states for tax money

**okay, and players, too
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7837 on: July 12, 2010, 11:46:25 am »

That is the saddest saddest thing.


Edit: Today I'm gonna read that post and then step outside my back door to find the remnants of a dead butterfly torn to pieces on the ground. Damn, seriously, you can't make up a metaphor like that, it would be too over the top.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:15:38 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7838 on: July 12, 2010, 01:13:07 pm »

even though baseball isnt for me, that is really touching and sad.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7839 on: July 12, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »

Turner Field is one of the new parks with the feel of the old ones, and it really works as a ballpark. Great design, great feel, far too expensive but then aren't they all; however, you can still get dollar seats in the nosebleeds if the game isn't sold out, which it never is.

I'm just waiting for Bobby Cox to wrap up this year because I don't want that racist wife-beater to get another of my pennies for choking in the playoffs yet again. Every damn year since Glavine/Maddux he trades away the best players and somehow turns his new ragtag crew into a better team than they ought to have been, only to lose before taking the pennant. This ain't a farm team, asshole, it's one that's already won the Series a couple times under your watch, and should be a better contender than it turns out to be every damn time since '95. The new park was built in '97. Great job. Winning the division shouldn't be the goal, it should be a given.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7840 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »

Does Bobby hold some sway over the general manager?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7841 on: July 12, 2010, 03:24:45 pm »

people that overlook his domestic violence history (only one arrest with charges dropped because DUH THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS) hold him up as a sort of hometown hero because he got the first series win since the braves moved here from milwaukee and he's amassed a lot of stats that look good on paper. any other coach in any other team would have been replaced at some point in the fifteen years since that win. maybe he's got photos of the GM or ted turner in a tijuana whore house, who knows.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7842 on: July 12, 2010, 03:45:28 pm »

On a Mets message board, I am positing the notion that the only way everything has gone right for the Braves this year (Billy Wagner? Really? He spent like a decade pitching horribly for the Mets and now at the age of 75 he's lights out again?) is that they all sold their souls for one season where absolutely nothing went wrong (Glaus? REALLY?) and they won the division.

And that's why so many of them are retiring at the end of this year, because they know the deal runs out after the 2010 post-season.

Think about it. Mets and Phillies riddled with injuries, Nats and Marlins riddled with being the Nats and Marlins.

While the Braves are getting fuck*ng utility-men into the All-Star Game and the above-mentioned Wagner and Glaus got signed out of assisted-living-facilities in the off-season.

And I am sticking to the Faustian bargain theory at least until someone else starts running with it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7843 on: July 12, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »

I'm of the opinion that playoffs are mostly a crapshoot. From a strictly baseball standpoint, I would love to have Bobby Cox manage my favorite team.

I did see the Braves get trounced by the White Sox (including Tommy Hanson getting torched) earlier this year. That was good times. Part of a 3-game sweep.

Billy Wagner was a good gamble for the Braves. He was excellent for the Red Sox last year. It's a similar story to the White Sox' acquisition of JJ Putz.

Actually, Wagner was quite good for the Mets when not injured (threw significant innings in 2006, 2007, and 2008) so I don't know what you're crying about.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7844 on: July 12, 2010, 04:30:16 pm »

The stadium in STL is downtown, and is surrounded by basically abandoned buildings as far as I can tell. I don't get this. Every time I am downtown on game day I am flabbergasted by how many fans there are there. The metro is packed, the highway is backed up, etc.

Doing some research, it turns out that someone bought a bunch of buildings around the stadium to build "SPORTSMAN'S PLAZA" or something, but didn't have enough money to actually do what they wanted, so now they're sitting on the buildings.
Which seems so stupid that it must be true.
I don't know, maybe tickets + parking + whatever other crap at the stadium takes all the fans' money so they don't spend things on places around there anyway.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 878   Go Up