Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344170 times)

0 Members and 197 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7845 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »

...chill in the rec room of my new job, tea mug in hand and an eye on the webs. I'll be posting more from now on, possibly, maybe.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7846 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:05 pm »

The stadium in STL is downtown, and is surrounded by basically abandoned buildings as far as I can tell.

My inlaws lived in an apartment in the old Pet Foods building right across the street.
  It was very nice and not at all abandoned.  They've moved now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7847 on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »

I like Giants Stadium (forget its corporate name at the moment).  Not nearly as many balls going into the Bay since Bonds left town.  That was amusing.  Seriously though - any home run hit by a team from a seaside city should go into the ocean, right?  Its like a cartoon trope.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7848 on: July 12, 2010, 05:39:20 pm »

ah, I think I know which building you mean. There's just this one cluster of empty buildings on one side, so "surrounded" wasn't the right word at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7849 on: July 12, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »

Today I'm going to bike to the nearby Schnuck's. The security guard will apologetically ask for my bike bag. When I go back to pick it up he will ask where I'm from. Somehow he will rightly determine that I'm not from St. Louis. We willl chat about Chicago neighborhoods.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7850 on: July 13, 2010, 02:46:08 am »

...chill in the rec room of my new job, tea mug in hand and an eye on the webs. I'll be posting more from now on, possibly, maybe.

i couldnt quite put my finger on what was missing.......
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7851 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:26 pm »

BARF. Woke up a little hung over due to a stupid party. Called a job and they wanted me to come for an interview immediately. Drove there, the place seems... really horrible. It became apparent that they are hiring a manager for their St Louis branch, which seems like something I am completely incapable of doing. The fact that after the interview they told me they want me to do another interview on thursday makes me feel like...
you know. Maybe I don't trust a company stupid enough to put me in charge of 25-30 people. The way they had previously explained the position made it sound like it was more of an "office manager" thing (mailroom, filing, etc) than a "manager" thing.
I acted like a nervous idiot throughout the interview. Every time she started talking, I'd realize I was frowning, and have to try really hard to smile and act like I wasn't really unhappy about this interview.

Also, 60-90 days of training is so much training.

But basically my overwhelming impression of this place is that it's pretty half-assed.

On the other hand, they will pay me money. So it's not like I'm in a position to be picky.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7852 on: July 14, 2010, 12:26:04 am »

do it. you've managed a radio station. you can screw off out of there if you don't like it. good pay, decent benefits? try the corporate world for a while, maybe you'll find a latent success gene pop up.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7853 on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:01 am »

As I think I have said before - there is much to be learned at a totally shitty job.

They will pay you while you are training, yes?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7854 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:39 am »

yeah, I mean, if they offer me the job after this next interview there is no way I can say no. That would be insane.

She said I would get paid during training, but was really vague about it (I mean, they told me how much the pay would be for the actual job, but then kind of brushed past the part about being paid during training.)

has anyone ever sold books on Amazon? I put a bunch of my old textbooks on there, but now my friend's roommate is telling me on facebook that the company amazon routes the money through (or something) fucked her over and never paid her.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:22:34 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7855 on: July 14, 2010, 11:46:36 pm »

...wonder why my facebook friend, who is childless, divorced, and self-employed, posted as her status "XXX needs some 'me' time."

How is it that you can decide you need "me" time and not just...you know...go have some, if there are no kids or spouses to stand in your way? Also, if you live alone, isn't pretty much all the time you're not working or socializing, by definition, "me" time?

I think my life situation has seriously altered the way I operate. At this point, my idea of "me" time is being able to take a crap without interruption.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7856 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:36 pm »

She's referring to this kind of 'me' time.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7857 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:18 am »

On the one hand, "self-employed" generally means no paid time off so you feel like you should always be working, and if she works at home, what I find is that means is, there is never any going home from work.

On the other hand that is such a fuck*ng irritating status update that I take back the first part of this post.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7858 on: July 15, 2010, 12:03:42 am »

I find the term "me time" irritating generally. What's wrong with "I'm so fuck*ng sick of dealing with people that I'm going to lock myself in my apartment and drink myself to sleep"?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7859 on: July 15, 2010, 01:09:42 am »

I try to keep my facebook status updates down to sharing semi-comic observations about things, unless I'm doing something fundamentally interesting.

I find that people don't get too too annoyed when I handle it that way.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 878   Go Up