Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346916 times)

0 Members and 203 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7995 on: August 01, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »

C'mon, Dan.

In fifty or sixty years, we will all be dead and whatever's left in your bank account will be ravaged by grandchildren who didn't like you much.

Or the hossmen of the apocalypse. Maybe they'll be one and the same!

Do your High Fidelity dream things.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7996 on: August 01, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »

Entirely not shocking: I disagree with LFM. Rent is an unwise thing to splurge on.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7997 on: August 01, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »

Actually, I would usually advise financial good-sense.

I'm in a melancholy mood that leads me toward suggesting impulse to others as recompense for the shitty way I'm feeling about my life.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7998 on: August 01, 2010, 07:51:34 pm »

yeah, I mean, it is more expensive to a degree that I cannot afford it at all. It's only 100$ or so more than places I think are best for me, but that is a lot. Also, my dream is not "live above a record store," it is a more generalized "live above a storefront on an interesting street."

Mostly, it is ludicrous to spend too much to live in Saint Louis when there are so many cheap places. Especially to live in a neighborhood that I don't super-want to be walking around at night. I'd rather spend this money on eating out, furniture, or that "saving" thing people talk about.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #7999 on: August 04, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »

motherfuck, do i hate programming!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8000 on: August 05, 2010, 02:09:01 pm »

I think I worked for this guy, or his long lost twin, back in '91.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8001 on: August 06, 2010, 07:57:00 am »

I guess if you own the place you can run it like you want. I'd also like to think people who are competent enough to actually get a job elsewhere would do so though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8002 on: August 06, 2010, 05:04:39 pm »

Use my passport for the first time, and fly to Dominica.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8003 on: August 06, 2010, 06:20:22 pm »

I'm gonna rock it.  Rock it hard.  That's what I'm gonna do today.  Oh yeah!!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8004 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:29 pm »

how do people not know it's rude to talk about money?

come on, people.

people are really into ARGUING with me when I say "sorry, I'll pass, I don't think I can afford to go out right now..."
I try very hard to say it in a way that isn't any sort of "feel bad for me" thing. I just know I've been eating out/going out way too much, and need to stop.

People say "but you have a job!" Yes. I'm glad you have decided I should spend my wages on drinking overpriced beer with you, but I do not think I will.


On the other end of the spectrum, my friend's roommate is really into pointing fingers about who has more money than her. Gets all "WE CAN'T GO OUT AGAIN TO DINNER, NOT EVERYONE HAS RICH PARENTS." Which is when you lose your "you don't get to tell me how to spend my money" immunity, and i start looking around your apartment at all the expensive shit you own.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't be a dick to a non-stranger.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8005 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:52 pm »

See the trick is to flip the tables around on them.  If they try to counter your money excuse with the job card, just be like, "YO," then ramble on about nonsense like doing ecstasy at the race track and sometimes your cousin makes you cop yeyo for him and finish with like, "don't ask me bout my money, son, don't ask me bout my money, ALRIGHT!?," real aggressive, then they'll feel like the idiot.  We call it "flippin da roll."  Because you just switch the roles, and if they flip it again, then fuck they must've played this game before.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8006 on: August 07, 2010, 11:12:08 pm »

yeahhhh.

it is so sad, this girl who is my friend's roommate is making me have flashbacks to when my roommate was a big pain in the ass.

this friend dated that roommate, so she seems to like surrounding herself by bossy people with loud opinions. sad.

but this roommate is like if my roommate hadn't had a lot of smarts to back up his dumb opinions.
Also, she complains all the time about "hipsters" = she is the biggest hipster. Like, one of the few people I know in real life who I think I would apply that word to with all of its most negative connotations.

anyway, yeah, I think I am pretty bad about money. But people are trying to tell me that 9$ an hour means that I can do whatever I want.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8007 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:03 pm »

next time someone wants you to go out and they dont take no for an answer, insist they pay the rent.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8008 on: August 07, 2010, 11:42:16 pm »

http://www.slate.com/id/2262371/

Not quite the same circumstance, but I happened to read it just now and thought it might be of some use.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8009 on: August 08, 2010, 05:43:07 am »

I skipped the last birthday dinner I was invited to.  Actually it was a birthday brunch at a $30 buffet.  Too expensive for me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 878   Go Up