Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343201 times)

0 Members and 192 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8010 on: August 08, 2010, 08:20:29 am »

I hate compulsive spending like that. Sorry if I've missed any finer points of the4 discussion, I had to sroll past some posts because  rigt now there is a chemical impendemet between me and the keyboard keys. To stay on topic: today I watched the Orioles squander a good early lead from really good seats. Fuck thay could have come backbut no, they've gotta choke like they always do. goddamit. I wanted to punch that 10-yr old in the white asox jersey but I di't. do I get a prize for that?
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8011 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »

I wanted to punch that 10-yr old in the white asox jersey but I di't. do I get a prize for that?

you dont get locked up and/or have to pay a big ass fine!  feliciadades!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8012 on: August 09, 2010, 09:55:26 am »

Today I learned that you should find out if your car battery is waaaay past its life expectancy before you drive it to Las Vegas.  Apparently 100+ degree heat was quite enough of a final straw for my battery I bought in Florida in January 2003.

Poor sucker couldn't even run the hazard lights.

Fortunately I mitigated losses by having AAA, a fully charged phone, a cooler with drinks in it, and leaving earlier than I needed to.  So.  Yay for being prepared.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8013 on: August 09, 2010, 11:46:03 am »

To put this in perspective I have a tight group of about 7 friends who met in undergrad science, so we've known each other to varying degrees since 2003/2004 and even since we've graduated most of us have worked in or around the uni and still meet up at least fortnightly for beers, video games and general shenanigans.

So, in that context I present: Things that are happening to me this week (or, more properly, to those around me):
One friend submitted her PhD.
Another is moving to the Netherlands on Thursday to start his.
His girlfriend (another good friend) is going with him.
Two other friends got married on Sunday (in the sweetest, purest, most beautiful wedding dang ol' ever).
We just found out tonight from one of my oldest friends that his wife is pregnant (to be fair I had money on this happening about three months ago).
Finally I have to decide by Friday if I want to move away  go to a rural clinical school next year, which will obviously have a big effect on my staying in contact with the guys that are still around and all my non-uni friends as well.

I'm just going to chill at home tonight and wait for a man from the government to come to the door with an official letter informing me that a new phase of my life is beginning.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:48:53 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8014 on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:20 pm »

wait for a man from the government to come to the door with an official letter informing me that a new phase of my life is beginning.

And I'm going to assume that's not as scary as it sounds.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8015 on: August 09, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »

No, that part was hyperbole. Just having one of those moments where so much stuff seems to be changing that it would be nice to know it was due to some sort of formal process.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8016 on: August 09, 2010, 03:05:53 pm »

Technically, that happens.

I mean, postal carriers are government employees, and they bring things like college acceptance letters and mortgage papers and book contracts and stuff. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8017 on: August 09, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8018 on: August 09, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »

What's wrong with bringing a guitar to a party?  (I don't, since I neither have a guitar nor the talent to play it)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8019 on: August 10, 2010, 12:25:39 am »

What's wrong with bringing a guitar to a party?  (I don't, since I neither have a guitar nor the talent to play it)

Have you never seen Animal House? "I'm the sensitive guy playing acoustic guitar at a party to try to score some tail. And annoy everybody else in the room with my shitty acoustic covers of popular songs from high school."
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8020 on: August 10, 2010, 01:17:52 am »

I was going to say that the guy that brings a guitar to the party will nearly always play "More Than Words" and if you need an explanation of why that makes one a prick then, well, you're just not my type of people. But your example is better because it precedes mine and Animal House is awesome.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8021 on: August 10, 2010, 01:56:29 am »

ugh, more than words wins some sort of award.

it is spectacularly bad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8022 on: August 10, 2010, 02:05:15 am »

'more than words' used to be my jam back when i was around 7 or 8.  also, that bryan adams song from 'robin hood: price of thieves'.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8023 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:47 am »

I was, and still am, totally about acoustic jams by hard rock bands from that era. Like this one. But More Than Words has always offended my sensibilities, even as a young boy. It's like, even though I didn't know the correct word choice at the time, I totally understood douchey-ness.

But (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, fuck yeah. Oh, to be 11 again.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8024 on: August 10, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »

Man, that's one of my favorite Air Supply songs ever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 878   Go Up