Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346971 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8145 on: September 17, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »

As I mentioned elsewhere, today I am going home from work. It is a big day for me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8146 on: September 18, 2010, 01:43:03 pm »

spend the day with family and friends at  knoebels.  it will be an enjoyable day.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8147 on: September 18, 2010, 06:33:49 pm »

Clean my home office just enough to be able to use it as a home office. Then I'm gonna flip the page on my wall calendar and be confronted with the sad fact that my office has not been usable as anything but a storage room since April.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8148 on: September 19, 2010, 01:34:12 am »

spend the day with family and friends at  knoebels.  it will be an enjoyable day.







i was not wrong.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8149 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:19 am »

Oh man old fashioned wooden roller coasters are the best.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8150 on: September 21, 2010, 12:40:51 am »

Well, it's 9 pm just now, so I don't think I'll do much until I go to bed... I mean, I'm supposed to keep on revising my manuscript because maybe who knows this time, after 2 past duds, I might be able to publish it via a friend who recently got acquainted with an editor and etc, but other than that, I got nothing to do.

Have to keep an eye on Twentyone, my cat, who's got the boo-boos (a serious one - leukemia). He used to be a very polite, very stately cat, huge, but athletic, big-boned, big-pawed... now he looks like a bag of bones, and can't move without me picking him up. Lucky me he meows when he wants to pee or go number 2 (I'm being objective when I say he is just the most genteel feline motherfucker I've ever seen), otherwise my place would be in a sorry state... the timbre of his voice dropped way low and now it's like something coming from a grave... pretty fuck*ng rending as you can imagine. Got me a case of the Guilt for not picking on up earlier on the symptoms... "A lesson is learned but the damage", and all that... sigh. Friday he had the creepiest thousand-yard stare, which truly put the Fear in me, but fortunately now he looks relaxed, and is already following objects with his eyes. So it's all about giving him fluids and stuffing him with food + medicine via a syringe... but things don't look good for the poor thing, I guess.

Well, and since I'm here, why not tell you what has been up of late? I don't live in Rio anymore, I'm in a small town nearby working on a secret translation project. The job is less boring than my previous technical translation job, and way easier, and pays way more, so that's pretty cool. I'm 33 and all my life I have been small-giraffe in big ponds, even knowing that I had some big-giraffe bones in me. Now with this job things are starting to change - I'm working alongside some big shots in the area (which means good contacts in the publishing world), and they're all pretty flabbergasted with the quality and quantity of my output. Dudes were all gabbing about how they do 2.300 words per day, until I came in and started doing like 7.000, without even putting a lot of effort into it, with near spotless quality... they certainly weren't expecting this from me, the quiet shy small man with the sorta handicapped, stigmatized social background... haha, being underestimated rocks!

But anyway, hopefully I'll stay firmly entreched in this area of work (can't wait to put this baby on my CV, I can't imagine having problems finding more work after people see this one in there...)

(By the way, just an afterthought re: almost having been published twice in the past, like I so ardently wanted... thank heavens I wasn't! There were so many poorly thought-out things in the previous manuscript... I mean, the book was good and I stand by it, but it was lazily stitched together. God, if somehow it had slipped through and gotten out in the street with my name on it, I'd quite simply have to change my name, it was so feeble and amateurish... Now it looks way more rounded-up, even with potential to grow. All this to say that I hope my luck continues and God keeps protecting me from all the dumb shit that I want...)


Edit: Curses, that filter!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:53:28 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8151 on: September 21, 2010, 03:16:03 am »


I guess I just could have told a four year old little boy "no, now go away and be quiet about it" but I'll get plenty of peace when I'm dead.



You and your boy can split this tiny can of Dr. Pepper.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8152 on: September 21, 2010, 06:40:38 am »

it feels almost too stupid and snotty to comment that a large convention of middle aged evangelical women were the least pleasant customers I have ever had.

man, I had not been yelled at until last week. And then it happened so many times.

I didn't realize I was capable of snapping back when people snap at me. it was kind of nice. Except I think I did it in a way where this lady "won" and I should have just said something super-helpful so she felt bad.
what I wanted to say was something like "I'm sorry this ruined your day, ma'am. I'm sorry you had to wait 10 seconds for me to type in your coupon."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8153 on: September 21, 2010, 06:42:03 am »

Their God is love, you see, so they don't have to love nobody.

That's their God's job.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8154 on: September 21, 2010, 07:36:41 am »

it's just...

this is like something that would happen in a book, and I would say "ugh, that's so stupid and obvious and heavy-handed."

"this woman was in a rush to get to her seminar about the healing power of love and prayer, and so she was unbelievably rude to me" belongs in a book I loved when I was 15. Not real life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8155 on: September 21, 2010, 08:18:38 am »

asherdan am i too old to wish you were my dad
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8156 on: September 21, 2010, 05:14:22 pm »

Well, I guess we could write them all off as a bunch of Jesus-sterno addled hypocrites...

Or we could just suppose they were humans having a bad day...

But I'll take middle route and say that for some what they believe and want to become was overwhelmed for a bit by the mundane annoyances of modern life and some poor grocery clerk got the bile of their slippage. But hey, they're working on it, even if their application is uneven.

And I'll guarantee that just as much as I'll certify that it's a lead pipe cinch that some of them were big old wallowing hippo-crites that get a good feeling from associating themselves with something "good" but don't really care to practice it.

Bunch of humans, a mixed bag of nuts.

But funny in retrospect from the clerks perspective.

thanks for the talk Uncle Jesse.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8157 on: September 21, 2010, 07:37:25 pm »

What now?

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8158 on: September 21, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »

Any mention of Dukes of Hazzard automatically makes me think of this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8159 on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:33 pm »


A GOOT GOOT GOOT
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 878   Go Up