I know that my perspective might be occluded by my own circumstance, Ash, but everything I read and hear and nearly everyone I've talked to who wasn't either born with advantage or had the ability to work to establish the groundwork of their situations many years ago suggests that this is the most difficult time to start an effort at upward class mobility since the first Great Depression at least.
Perhaps part of it is that I am some kind of neurotic decadent wanna-be artist, a child of the upper working class convinced in the late Eighties that I was special and could do anything easily and so I can't bounce back from failure as well as children of different decades (to reference Achewood) and all of that, and that I probably run in circles of similarly permanent cripples and failed seekers looking for existensial validation at the price of 2MB a hit. Maybe it exaggerates this feeling for me, I'll grant.
But every other news piece on the radio or television or newspaper or internet newssite seems to be screaming that the gap between the top 1% and Everyone Else is growing, growing absurdly and continuing on that spiral of absurdity.
Again, I give you that the ghosts in my own head might inflate the purportion of this trend, but these numbers and newspieces would suggest that whether we personally made our hay while the sun was shining or not, Downward Mobility is the new black. Things may have not changed forever but they seem to have changed for now and for a while to come.