Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346832 times)

0 Members and 183 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8220 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:26 pm »

Oh, I wasn't saying that this is the new norm, I think I specifically put in wording to connotate that I didn't mean that.

But we're in a particularly goddamned hard time to start new or to start over and we're gonna be in it for a while.

I meant that but that's all I meant.

ALSO: my new doctor in Cooperstown's putting me on a low-level anxiety medication.

So maybe that's the kick in the ass I need so that I can stop defending my life and start trying to live it again.

Still. That doesn't change the fact that this is probably the hardest time in America to start a new business or get an above-subsistence job since the Great Depression.

Even with my head on straight, I don't know. These are fluky times.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8221 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »

Am I exploiting myself?

[yes, yes I am]

Oh dang. I am so exploiting myself. I never thought of it before.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8222 on: September 29, 2010, 01:10:51 am »

It's funny how different facts exist which can be used to support different interpretations.


Why is there a thong on my living room floor? Who would be taking off their underwear in this apartment?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:14:22 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8223 on: September 29, 2010, 01:15:56 am »

Please check your 'facts' a little better. We're in an expansion phase, and have been for quite some time now.

That article seems to confirm that we've just barely emerged from one of the most significant economic downturns in our nations history.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8224 on: September 29, 2010, 02:47:42 am »

In fact, the article you linked went to great lengths to say that that the job market is weak, general unemployment is likely to grow and a double-dip recession was made to seem likely.

Extrapolating, it would suggest that if the economy did grow to some small extent, that growth went to those who were left relatively unscathed by the recession to begin with.

Or else they would've said something. Because it would've fit a nice safe corporate narrative to do so.

Not to belabour this point too too too much (not that I EVER do that, of course) but it seems to suggest that the "recovery" is largely sloshing back to those who weren't on the economic fringe at the best of times.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8225 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:58 pm »

Please check your 'facts' a little better. We're in an expansion phase, and have been for quite some time now.

Technically true, but isn't much of that benefit going to the upper 20%/5%/1%, and not enough to the rest?

(Good Slate piece on how Americans largely don't understand just how unequal the economy is.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8226 on: September 29, 2010, 04:48:44 pm »

So, theoretically AD, is there a point where the system could be set up to where it favors the "haves" too much?  Could someone ever be justified in complaining?  Is the only option to work hard and shut the fuck up about it?

Whether you'll admit or not, there's a class war going on.  We're losing.  Bootsrappy-ness is great and an admirable trait, but the facts are that wealth in our society is concentrating in a smaller and smaller percentage of the wealthiest people.  Do you honestly believe the playing field is level?  Do you think billionaires don't spend their money to give themselves every possible advantage?

Yeah, I get that you are or have been a small business owner.  So have I.  But unless you've got a seven figure income, you're not an "owner" in the sense I meant.  Wake up!  The middle class is getting squeezed out of existence.  Can you accept the possibility that working hard at your job may not do anything to address that issue?  That we may have structural problems with our economy that need to be fixed?  That just because something is the status quo doesn't mean it should be sacrosanct?  Stopping a robber baron from plundering my resources may be redistribution of wealth, but I think it's justified.

Do you think it is rad to have oligarchy?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8227 on: September 29, 2010, 06:40:00 pm »

eat a hot dog with just mustard. I don't get it.

Maybe if it were mustard, relish, pickles, onion... but just mustard? boo to that. I need to buy some ketchup.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8228 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:52 pm »

At that point, why are you even eating a hot dog?

Go eat a condiments sandwich if you dislike hot dogs so much that you gotta put so many toppings on it, maybe.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8229 on: September 29, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »

I've come to the conclusion that there's really no wrong way to eat a hot dog.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8230 on: September 29, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »

You get a can for agreeing with me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8231 on: September 30, 2010, 01:19:44 am »

Ain't you never been to Chicago, lfm?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8232 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:39 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LFM is a New Yorker. Even if he has been to Chicago, he is required to think they do everything the wrong way. It's science.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8233 on: September 30, 2010, 01:42:18 am »

Whoa now, upstaters need to pass certification to be considered New Yorkers, I haven't seen his credentials yet.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8234 on: September 30, 2010, 01:45:49 am »

Ah, OK. All I know is that he is a Mets fan, and even if the rivalry is no longer so heated, my understanding is that Mets fans are bound by the laws of nature to hate Cubs fans.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 878   Go Up