Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346671 times)

0 Members and 172 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8235 on: September 30, 2010, 02:07:54 am »

I took a slice of crunchy homemade bread, hacked off some slivers of smoky gouda and sliced a turkey dog down the middle then piled the stuff on the bread and toasted it for lunch. It was delicious.

Well La De Da, look at you, eating yer turkey dogs.  Of course you don't care about the commoner.

(This post was mainly to say:  William Jennings Bryan- I don't know how to feel about him.  He seemed like maybe the person I agreed with most in the history of American politics in 1896, maybe racist but that would be in line with the times, then he had to do the whole monkey trial business.  I don't know if he was the best, just in my history classes what he was saying in 1896 made a lot of sense if I remember right.  Also, his last name is Bryan not Bryant, took me a while to get that down.  Doesn't seem right.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:11:35 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8236 on: September 30, 2010, 03:10:38 am »

Mets fans are bound by nature to hate the Yankees and the Braves. Maaaaaaybe if you recently became a Mets fan, you think you are bound by nature to hate the Phillies because they've been so recently dominant but you would be wrong.

It is difficult to hate the Cubs. They got a nice park and a lot of history and they're rarely successful enough to have any true emnity for 'em. If it is an extension of a pre-existing regional rivalry translated to baseball, as with the Cards or White Sox, I guess I get it but otherwise, it is difficult to hate any team so preternaturally doomed season in and season out.

I grew up and currently reside in extremely rural northern New York state and I'm a once-and-future Californian.

My attitude on hot dogs is less a regionalism and more just sort of an extension of my general "don't gild the lily" feeling on the topic of food.

If you got a really good food thing, why smother it in so many extraneous add-ons that you can't taste the food-stuff?

Mustard. Diced onions on special occasions. Anything more than that, I guess, why are you eating something you can't taste?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8237 on: September 30, 2010, 03:35:44 am »

we must have really different taste buds.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8238 on: September 30, 2010, 04:13:17 am »

two words: chili dog.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8239 on: September 30, 2010, 04:19:58 am »

Then is it Cubs fans who hate the Mets? I'm all sorts of mixed up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:24:55 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8240 on: September 30, 2010, 04:44:38 am »

Could be.

I thought they hated the Cardinals and the White Sox, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8241 on: September 30, 2010, 06:02:47 am »

It's cool to like the guy, or even admire him. Like most all people examined by history, there are no absolute summations to be made, just the scales of balance rocking from one side to the next until the void.

Oh yeah, I understand that, notice the racist comment in my post.  It was just like, in one class we learned about turn of the century Bryan and I was all in to it.  Then, the next semester (or even the same), in a class that didn't really cover the same topics, we learned about the Monkey Trial.  It took me a while to realize it was the same dude, or even that those two viewpoints could go together.  Busy life I guess.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:30:55 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8242 on: September 30, 2010, 06:06:51 am »

Just wanted to mention that Inherit the Wind with Spencer Tracey and Frederic March is one of the greatest movies ever made.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8243 on: September 30, 2010, 06:49:35 am »

I was in that play! I played the Dick York part.

(Bryan campaigned against evolution because he thought it inevitably led to social darwinism.)

MAN SHALL NOT BE CRUCIFIED UPON A CROSS OF GOLD.

One of the funniest things I have said, I think, was a pun on that line, but... now I can't remember what it was.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8244 on: September 30, 2010, 08:55:25 am »

Today I got home at midnight from work, and I'm up in 6 hours to do it again.  I'm reading this board and posting because my mind won't let me sleep without some wind-down time.

And I'm pretty convinced that my company's CEO is about to make (or, more likely, has already made) another in his series of horrible mistakes that has cost us close to 100 jobs and what financial stability we used to have.  So, there's that.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8245 on: September 30, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

Then is it Cubs fans who hate the Mets? I'm all sorts of mixed up.
No, it's Cardinals fans who hate the Mets.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8246 on: September 30, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »

I was in that play! I played the Dick York part.


It was much funnier than the Dick Sargeant part.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8247 on: September 30, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »

I used to really hate the Mets.  Now I mostly feel sorry for them.  But then I think of 1986, and I hate them again.

You know who I've really grown to hate the last couple years?  The Florida Marlins.  Those giraffey bastards.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8248 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:11 pm »

I hate the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because they changed their name. I know literally nothing else about them. I just had to ask my coworker what sport they play.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8249 on: September 30, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »

Quote from: Asherdan
1988 made me feel all kinds of better about the 1986 Mets.

But they were SO HIGH. They were SO fuck*ng HIGH. How can you hate a team that good that was so fuck*ng high?

The 1986 Mets were the closest thing there ever was to a fuck*ng baseball rock band. They were the closest thing baseball ever has to Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo.

Everyone was high out of their minds all the time except possibly Mookie and the Kid who, as the team choir boys, were probably merely drunk enough to kill three Tony Starks each.

Keith's food per-diem was basically PAID in coke. Dykstra, Christ, all modern steroids were probably created by backward-engineering the dude's urine.

There was something so transgressive about those motherfuckers that they basically spun the dial and became double-heroes, I dunno.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 878   Go Up