Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1344914 times)

0 Members and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8310 on: October 08, 2010, 11:49:11 pm »

phonics-only-based learning is not a completely wise idea, as well.

Don't you mean "fonix?"
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8311 on: October 09, 2010, 03:45:39 am »

Study for the LSAT!  I am mainly worried about waking up at 7:30, and that my analytical reasoning will be hampered by waking up when I usually go to bed.  If this test is at 8pm, I can puff a few bowls, get a nice dinner and be ready for it.  As is, I will wake up pot hungover and not really be too good at 8 am.  Whatever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8312 on: October 09, 2010, 08:25:17 pm »

And that sucked.  Seeing the people there makes me want to be a lawyer less than anything ever could.  A bunch of joyless fucks.  No cigarettes for 5 hours (they don't let you go outside?  during break?!?).  You were allowed to bring a ziploc storage bag full of water, snacks, tissue, etc.  I was the only one without a bag.  Over half of the people there had more than 6 pencils on their desk? and a pencil sharpener?  I brought three pencils and myself.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8313 on: October 09, 2010, 08:49:24 pm »

And that sucked.  Seeing the people there makes me want to be a lawyer less than anything ever could.  A bunch of joyless fucks.  No cigarettes for 5 hours (they don't let you go outside?  during break?!?).  You were allowed to bring a ziploc storage bag full of water, snacks, tissue, etc.  I was the only one without a bag.  Over half of the people there had more than 6 pencils on their desk? and a pencil sharpener?  I brought three pencils and myself.

There are more people like you than you might suspect.  However, just like everywhere else, you'll be in the minority.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8314 on: October 10, 2010, 01:30:15 am »

if my friends who are in law school are any indication: some of those people are like you, but freaked out and overprepared for the LSAT.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8315 on: October 13, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »

hearing about the miner's families made me get all worked up. man, people are alright sometimes. I ate some dulce de leche last night (in celebration?) out of a can. Not as good as when my grandma makes it.

also: today, I freaked out, because I heard the president of Chile give a speech in English. I guess I just never thought about it, but I had never heard anyone with the same accent as my grandparents before.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8316 on: October 13, 2010, 04:39:19 pm »

Today, I am going to meet Jim Wetherbee.

I know in the past we've talked about all the famous folks y'all have met, and I think my best one was either Jerry Only (apologies to Wombat) or Ted Stevens (he lived next door for a long time).

Seriously, though - today I met a guy who has been to space. Six times.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8317 on: October 13, 2010, 06:30:08 pm »

hearing about the miner's families made me get all worked up. man, people are alright sometimes. I ate some dulce de leche last night (in celebration?) out of a can. Not as good as when my grandma makes it.

also: today, I freaked out, because I heard the president of Chile give a speech in English. I guess I just never thought about it, but I had never heard anyone with the same accent as my grandparents before.

Dulce de leche is figgin' fantastic. My mom's from (and right now visiting) Argentina. I've been near Chile, but I've only seen an airport and a view of it from Mt. Cathedral.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8318 on: October 13, 2010, 11:47:06 pm »

hearing about the miner's families made me get all worked up. man, people are alright sometimes.

Yeah, me too. I'm always kind of annoyed at myself when I get like this (mainly because I think that if I can get worked up over something like this, I feel bad about not giving a fuck about enough things and things that are probably more important and farther reaching and not doing much to help out, and where does it end?), but that whole thing is just fuck*ng incredible. Blows my mind.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8319 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:19 pm »

...freak out because my manager announced this morning that she is leaving our firm and going to a competitor, and therefore had to be out of the building within like two hours. She is probably the best manager I've ever had anywhere, and aside from one or two people I work with directly, the only thing that made my job tolerable. The interim manager is a really cool guy but it doesn't sound like he'll be in there for more than a couple weeks, and man, there are a lot of douches trying to get that job. On the other hand, it may be a good thing because I hate my job and am already trying to schedule an appointment with a recruiter and will be tightening up my resume tonight. Seriously, my job is going to get really shitty in a couple weeks I predict.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8320 on: October 14, 2010, 12:04:16 am »

I'm sorta kinda helping running a lil' coup d'etat at the workplace and it's friggin' ace.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8321 on: October 14, 2010, 12:43:19 am »

one of my facebook friends just posted a link to a flickr picture that August had tagged. Weird.

lesson of the day: throwing a bunch of random "asian" liquids in a pan does not make a stir-fry sauce.
I followed a thing online, and then when there wasn't enough I added random crap. Chinese cooking wine, sugar, rice vinegar, chili oil, lots of soy sauce, sriracha. wayyyy too vinegary tasting.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:22:57 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8322 on: October 14, 2010, 01:32:23 am »

...freak out because my manager announced this morning that she is leaving our firm and going to a competitor, and therefore had to be out of the building within like two hours. She is probably the best manager I've ever had anywhere, and aside from one or two people I work with directly, the only thing that made my job tolerable. The interim manager is a really cool guy but it doesn't sound like he'll be in there for more than a couple weeks, and man, there are a lot of douches trying to get that job. On the other hand, it may be a good thing because I hate my job and am already trying to schedule an appointment with a recruiter and will be tightening up my resume tonight. Seriously, my job is going to get really shitty in a couple weeks I predict.

I have been doing a little resume writing of late, if you want me to take a gander. PM me for my email address.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8323 on: October 14, 2010, 03:08:21 am »

one of my facebook friends just posted a link to a flickr picture that August had tagged. Weird.

I don't understand what the red and blue represent.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8324 on: October 14, 2010, 03:18:03 am »

the "location"/hometown of the user who posted the pictures. Red is anything but STL, blue is STL.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 878   Go Up