Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349577 times)

0 Members and 158 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8415 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:54 pm »

Well, all of the frames are made in China, sure. But if you go to your optometrist the lenses are going to be finished here.

Not sure if this is just self-interested fear-mongering or if there's anything to this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130754089
Quote

Dr. ENRIGHT: Yeah, you know, I kind of hesitate to give you a little teaser on this, but, you know, we've actually done somewhat of a study to look at some of this where, you know, people have gone to some online companies that are out of China.

And we've done some impact-resistant testing on some of the products that have come back, and many, if not all, of them have failed substantially. And, you know, I think we take for granted some of the safety precautions we do in the States here.

And, you know, everyone driving a car nowadays, that has a high-impact airbag, and if you're wearing one of those lenses that are from overseas like that, they've got different standards than we have, from the FDA impact-resistance standards.

And that airbag goes off, chances are that's going to shatter your lenses that you're wearing in that frame. And so that would be unfortunate if somebody saved a couple dollars to then lose vision in their eyes because of that.

I have glasses from that place that has advertised on TV for a long time, America's Best. I suppose the lenses could very well be finished in China since there was a two week waiting period or some such. I guess the doctor there would have to use some FDA-sanctioned supplier.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8416 on: October 28, 2010, 10:25:17 pm »

I'm just curious how you guys do that deal. Do you go to like an established store front type optometrist/opthamologist for an exam and then ask them for your 'scrip so you can go elsewhere for hardware?

I'm kinda picky about that stuff, so I go to the same guy I've been seeing since I was 16. I buy through his suppliers and he does a lens check on his own equipment when they come in to verify the lenses.

I have been going to the same eye doctor for a few years and have gotten my glasses from the store he is inside of. This time I got a second pair from the Chinese slave labor place. I like the frames better and I have no problem with the vision, although I should say, I mostly wear contacts, so I don't wear them all day.

I don't wear them to drive. I do have a pair of driving glasses but I also got them from the eye doctor. I was going to get another pair for other distance uses so maybe I will make sure to keep them out of the car.

But seriously - $20 versus $200, why does there never seem to be a real option in between? In the past when I have forced myself to get the cheapest frames at the eye doctor I have been much less happy than I am with these $20 ones.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8417 on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:09 pm »

Quote
Dr. ENRIGHT:  lose vision in their eyes

I don't know that I want to take the word of someone who thinks it's possible to lose vision somewhere besides the eyes.

My BFF lived in Germany for a few years and always gets new glasses when she goes back because in Europe they charge reasonable prices for glasses and will let you get honest-to-goodness shatterproof glass if that's what you want. I think she spends about $60.

I usually get my glasses from the eye doctor because my insurance covers the exam and up to $400 worth of hardware (frames and lenses) every 2 years. I usually spend most of that $400 allowance on a single pair of glasses, which seems ridiculous to me, but since I'm the only person in my family who needs corrective lenses it doesn't really matter if I'm getting horribly overcharged, because I'm not the one paying for it.

I don't know if I can get reimbursed for glasses from an out-of-network provider. I will have Pedro look into this, because I would really like to have an extra pair of glasses. The ones I currently wear have been repaired three times, I like the look of them but they're no match for a curious toddler.

I have a box of disposable contacts that I keep around in case my glasses break or I get invited to a wedding or something -- they will also come in handy on Halloween this year -- but a two-week supply can last three or four years. I just don't have time to mess around with contacts, and I'm more comfortable in glasses anyway. I think they suit me.

I am kind of in love with these:



I wonder how they would look on my face? People who have seen my face, what do you think?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8418 on: October 28, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »

The issue is almost all glasses are made by one company.

And yes, I'm linking to Cracked but I read a lot of this same information about Luxottica on Consumerist a few months ago, too: http://www.cracked.com/article_18845_6-secret-monopolies-you-didnt-know-run-world.html
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8419 on: October 28, 2010, 11:49:10 pm »

At work we're often not allowed to use product out of China (shackles, slings, etc) due to failure rate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8420 on: October 29, 2010, 12:48:37 am »

At work we're often not allowed to use product out of China (shackles, slings, etc) due to failure rate.

shackles AND slings?  sevenkinky!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8421 on: October 29, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

But seriously - $20 versus $200, why does there never seem to be a real option in between? In the past when I have forced myself to get the cheapest frames at the eye doctor I have been much less happy than I am with these $20 ones.
The America's Best place I mentioned has 2 pair for $99 plus maybe an exam charge (I don't really remember). You could sometimes get their higher end frames for that price with a coupon.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:52:20 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8422 on: October 29, 2010, 02:09:40 am »

so apparently my vision is worse than 20/300.

Also, she did not write down my "pupillary distance". I am kind of wary of having a friend measure this, but I'm not sure why. It's not like they have to touch my eye.

At one point when we were doing the "which is better, 1 or 2?" game, she switched to something that... it was like wearing glasses for the first time. I think I said "oh my god! two! two! two!"
She said that that was too strong of a prescription, and I could already see 20/15 with my old prescription, and she didn't want me to get something too strong for my eyes.

but, my god, it was so clear...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8423 on: October 29, 2010, 03:49:58 am »

Could you see through her skin? They're not supposed to flip to that lens with the proles.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8424 on: October 29, 2010, 04:49:47 pm »

I'm trying to figure out if a price for a board game is too good to be true.

And I somehow just noticed that it says "ACE OF SPADES" underneath Wild Card. This shows how often I look at the front page of our little community.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8425 on: October 31, 2010, 06:27:06 pm »

How the hell am I able to double-post in this thread 2 days apart?

Anyway, today I'm recovering from the rally. Pics for those not on FB: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cortjstr/sets/72157625156413229/
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8426 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:07 pm »

learn the following about Casablanca:

Quote from: Wikipedia
There have been two short-lived television series based upon Casablanca, both considered prequels. The first aired from 1955 to 1956 . . . Another, briefly broadcast on NBC in 1983, starred David Soul as Rick, Ray Liotta as Sacha, and Scatman Crothers as a somewhat elderly Sam. A total of five hour-long episodes were produced.

what
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8427 on: November 01, 2010, 03:39:18 am »

... have a really scary encounter with some dudes at my store. They kept getting mad about things going on during their store visit (being followed by store security...). At one point I said "next in line" and they went off on me because they weren't ready yet, and IS THAT ALLOWED, MAN. Yes, that is allowed, I was just saying I am ready to help you. Then, they left the line, and then got mad when I helped the person who was after them in line (?).

Then when they came up to pay for their booze, they gave me all this shit about bagging their single bottle of vodka. One of them decided it would be (funny? incredibly intimidating? both?) to walk around and come behind my register and stand really really close to me. That is when my supervisor (the union steward who I imagine battling Ash in olden times) LOST HER SHIT and started yelling and telling them it was time to leave, we're closed, etc. I continued checking them out, checked their IDs for the alcohol, etc. Then they left.

I can't completely explain what it was about them that was so intimidating, even prior to the actual intimidation.

I am kind of proud that, for once in my life, my rational brain kicked in and said "these guys are just trying to scare you, they are obviously not going to do anything stupid with an armed security guard standing 10 feet away, just keep doing your job." Although, I guess, what else would I have done? Ran away, peeing?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8428 on: November 01, 2010, 02:08:05 pm »

... have a really scary encounter with some dudes at my store. They kept getting mad about things going on during their store visit (being followed by store security...). At one point I said "next in line" and they went off on me because they weren't ready yet, and IS THAT ALLOWED, MAN. Yes, that is allowed, I was just saying I am ready to help you. Then, they left the line, and then got mad when I helped the person who was after them in line (?).

Then when they came up to pay for their booze, they gave me all this shit about bagging their single bottle of vodka. One of them decided it would be (funny? incredibly intimidating? both?) to walk around and come behind my register and stand really really close to me. That is when my supervisor (the union steward who I imagine battling Ash in olden times) LOST HER SHIT and started yelling and telling them it was time to leave, we're closed, etc. I continued checking them out, checked their IDs for the alcohol, etc. Then they left.

I can't completely explain what it was about them that was so intimidating, even prior to the actual intimidation.

I am kind of proud that, for once in my life, my rational brain kicked in and said "these guys are just trying to scare you, they are obviously not going to do anything stupid with an armed security guard standing 10 feet away, just keep doing your job." Although, I guess, what else would I have done? Ran away, peeing?

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8429 on: November 01, 2010, 03:33:49 pm »

Today I'm gonna go to the gym remember that I can't drink every night over the weekend like it was 15 years ago and get away scot-free.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 878   Go Up