Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350332 times)

0 Members and 190 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8505 on: November 10, 2010, 09:58:06 pm »

in half an hour i have to give a powerpoint presentation about the pros and cons of distracted driving/texting-while-driving legislation.  wish me luck.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8506 on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »

You should definitely show up late, claiming that you got in a car wreck because you were distracted by the stress of giving the presentation.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8507 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:25 am »

wasnt necessary.  also, i totally got an A AND i have my final paper is more organized and put together.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8508 on: November 11, 2010, 04:56:01 am »

Quote
What does it have to do with race? The whities I work with do the same from time to time.

Yeah, see, that's the thing. both my white  and black coworkers are a mix of lazy and not-lazy. But the mix that was there yesterday was that I was the one white guy, and my black coworkers were all noisily fuck*ng around while a huge line of (white) customers glared at them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8509 on: November 11, 2010, 04:52:02 pm »

... worry more about the carpet stains, and how every attempt to improve them has lead to worse looking stains, and now a gross musty odor. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8511 on: November 11, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »

...realize that now, when someone expresses a political opinion I find repugnant*, I don't get angry, I just think less of that person and move on with my life.

Does that mean I'm finally becoming a grown-up, or just that my youthful sense of moral outrage has been tempered by cynicism and a loss of faith in humanity?

*The opinion in question was, "Gays in the military are fine, as long as they keep them in the Navy, where they belong."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8512 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »

*The opinion in question was, "Gays in the military are fine, as long as they keep them in the Navy, where they belong."

I wish they had just been riffing on the Village People song.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8513 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

self righteous indignation has its place, i guess.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8514 on: November 11, 2010, 06:57:29 pm »

I wish they had just been riffing on the Village People song.

Dude's a Green Beret, so...no.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8515 on: November 11, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »

Dude's a Green Beret, so...no.

Well, I figured you knew what you were talking about. I was just wishing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8516 on: November 12, 2010, 02:51:14 am »

I wasn't there so I can't lay in on if that was dude using service branch humour to lay off a question or not.


He wasn't. This sentiment was part of a larger monologue that was all quite serious; the statement I gave above was a paraphrase of his proffered solution to the "don't ask, don't tell" issue.

He also suggested that the Air Force would be an appropriate second choice. I was...stunned...to say the least.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8517 on: November 12, 2010, 04:43:18 am »

they were just standing there because my flamboyantly gay coworker was telling a stupid story really loudly in his really annoying voice, and they were all listening and laughing loudly. for a really long time.
I guess he mostly conforms to horrible stereotypes of gay dudes, instead of horrible stereotypes of black dudes.

the layout of our registers is weird, and it is conducive to weird situations like this happening I think. all of the customers are in one big line which feeds into a line of registers-- when the cashier is ready he waves you over. This leads to major confusion, anger, etc. When people get what is going on it goes really fast, though, because you are never in the "wrong" line. I do not understand why we don't have a sign that says "wait here for your cashier to wave you over."

a lot of people can't even figure out where the line is. although we do have signs for that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8518 on: November 12, 2010, 04:48:49 am »

That's really the best way, but a lot of people get confused because it's so unusual to see that system in place.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8519 on: November 12, 2010, 05:10:17 am »

I feel that's the best way but the fact that Best Buy works like that makes me doubt my own logic.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 878   Go Up