Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349074 times)

0 Members and 199 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8580 on: November 19, 2010, 06:20:58 pm »

one great thing about atlanta is that if we get snow, the whole town shuts down. the snow itself isn't the worry, it's idiots who can't drive in it (because it's rare), and the black ice that comes after the snow.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8581 on: November 19, 2010, 06:57:03 pm »

even though Saint Louis is (relative to Charlotte) a really cold place in the winter, as soon as it went below 60 degrees I started seeing people in full winter gear. Not sure what's going on there.

I am pretty sure drivers here drive like idiots no matter what the weather is. I also feel like I am becoming one of them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8582 on: November 19, 2010, 07:00:16 pm »

one great thing about atlanta is that if we get snow, the whole town shuts down. the snow itself isn't the worry, it's idiots who can't drive in it (because it's rare), and the black ice that comes after the snow.

People in Atlanta have an excuse to not know how to drive in the snow, I think. And likewise an excuse to shut the whole place down. But people in DC really don't.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8583 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »

After my previous post about how people forget how to function, I left the office, and within 20 feet encountered a car, facing west on the east-bound side of the street, up on the side walk, about 15 ft off the street, with the bumper all smashed up.  This was in an area of a straight away, with no options but to drive forward in a straight line.  Did I mention the road was already sanded, salted and plowed?  Sigh.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8584 on: November 20, 2010, 12:54:16 am »

Hopefully the cat got away (the only think that springs to mind as capable of causing an accident under those conditions).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8585 on: November 20, 2010, 04:59:05 am »

We have the same problem here, only it's the heat and humidity.  It's Houston, it's hot and humid, get over it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8586 on: November 20, 2010, 05:11:28 am »

See, I like hot and humid.  I liked Jakarta with it's 80% humidity. 

To be honest, I sort of love the snow, and love how hardy we can be out here in the Great White North.  The night before the storm, I said to everybody, "we will wake up tomorrow and the entire world will have changed, and it will be kind of beautiful" and when it woke up it had, and it was.  It's more the behavior of others I don't appreciate.   The behavior and the complaining about the snow.   "Shut the fuck up and deal.  You live in Canada.  Unless this is your first winter here - then  you get a pass, but only for this year."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8587 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:49 am »

Gypsy Mermaid has been complaining about the weather a lot, but she's from Vancouver.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8588 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:43 am »

Yeah, having been to Vancouver, I would say our current weather is pretty hardcore in regard to snow and wind.  The cold is not even sort of close to the temperatures where Winnipeggers start to complain about the temperature, but is of the "as cold as it ever gets" variety in compairison to standard Vancouver winter temperatures. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8589 on: November 20, 2010, 04:58:43 pm »

It is a little observed fact (because this area isn't Culturally Important) that while northern New York state is, of course, colder than a lot of southern Canada and right in the heart of the Great Lake Effect snow belt... the summers are painfully deathly humid.

There are, like, two months of the most gorgeous fall up here, one and a half months of the most gorgeous spring, six months of slit-your-wrists-to-escape winter... people know these things, leaf peepers and the Weather Channel's snowfall watch and all that.

But from the start of June until about the middle of August, you can't fuck*ng breathe the humidity hangs in the dang air and it is like trying to resperate butter.

The first day I experienced 115 degrees in Woodland Hills, CA? I thought to myself "this is so much more pleasant than 88 degrees and 99 percent humidity."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8590 on: November 20, 2010, 05:35:12 pm »

The first day I experienced 115 degrees in Woodland Hills, CA? I thought to myself "this is so much more pleasant than 88 degrees and 99 percent humidity."

I never visted the west coast till I was in my thirties, and before that, people would say that there was such a thing as heat without humidity, and I would tell them that I wasn't born yesterday.

Now, I know it is true, and I wish I didn't. It just isn't fair.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8591 on: November 20, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »

Coach a free lacrosse clinic for school-agers.  We did one 2 weeks ago that had 25 kids, boys and girls.  I'm hopeful for today's outing, but its currently raining steadily.  Its an all weather sport, but it takes time for kids to develop that mentality.  Parents around here tend to think their kids are shrinking violets or something. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8592 on: November 20, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »

First time I ever really got the humidity thing I was in DC in August, just after I graduated high school. I was walking through the airport and I got up near the automatic doors and that wave of humid air rolled in as they opened and I just thought "how the fuck do they get it to stay like that?"
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8593 on: November 20, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »

Saint Louis and Charlotte are both really humid, but not as bad as Houston. (of course).

at least, that is what I've been told.

Now that it is getting cold and I have work every day, I am looking back fondly at summer days, sitting around in my boxers, drenched in sweat.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #8594 on: November 20, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »

How come all your posts end up being barely-veiled erotica?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 878   Go Up