Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349425 times)

0 Members and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9120 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:37 pm »

you got a box of baking soda in your pantry? 2 weeks is about right for sweet potatoes, i guess, but throwing them in the fridge before they go bad isn't going to hurt them.

paul - in the early '70s a new culinary movement was born in berkeley CA. alice waters opened her restaurant, chez panisse, which began to focus on very simply prepared, very fresh and locally sourced organic vegetables and meats. she "invented" what are now called microgreens, which just means she started serving people baby spinach and lettuces; the baby effect spread to other veggies. the united states of arugula is a pretty fascinating though sometimes dry history of american cuisine. i don't remember any discussions of chili or tacos.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9121 on: February 05, 2011, 09:35:25 pm »

On further inspection, I actually have been buying 5 lb bags.

I have never blanched, and my carrots come out fine -- good color and flavor, and certainly enough texture for a stir-fry or a stew. They don't stay in the freezer more than a few weeks, though. Does blanching make that much of a difference?

I also don't blanch fresh green beans before I saute them. Is this wrong? I think some people would think they're undercooked the way I do them, but I'm afraid blanching will take out the firmness that I so enjoy. But then, I eat the darned things raw, so maybe I'm weird.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9122 on: February 05, 2011, 10:37:30 pm »

I can't imagine why you'd blanch anything before sauteeing it. If nothing else because life is too short to use two totally different cooking methods to cook one innocent vegetable.

My mind boggles at how many carrots you people eat.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9123 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:10 am »

It's almost like Judy's back.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9124 on: February 06, 2011, 12:15:31 am »

Dude, you got your drunk on at 4 in the afternoon.  Shouldn't you be out wrasslin' bears or something instead of hanging out with imaginary nerds on the interbox?

And damn, tomorrow's the Superbowl.  Looks like you're just going to have to go on a 2 day bender, otherwise you'll be too hungover for the festivities!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9125 on: February 06, 2011, 12:26:32 am »

I just had to throw away the remainder of a bag of sweet potatoes (about a pound) because they were covered in mold after just 2 weeks in my pantry. I stored them in the mesh bag they came in on a shelf with (but not touching) my other non-refrigerated produce (apples, bananas). Am I doing it wrong?

Apples give off a lot of gas (ethelyne?) that makes other things ripen (and thus rot) faster. So that could be your culprit.

IIRC Alton recommends storing whole carrots at room temperature in a container of sand. I think he cuts the greens off because leaving them on makes them go bad faster. But I haven't watched that episode in a while.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9126 on: February 06, 2011, 03:09:37 am »

I store them, whole and unpeeled, in the veggie crisper in the fridge. They seem to lose their crispness and get soft and soggy in 3 - 4 weeks; by 5 weeks they're shriveled and inedible. Maybe it's because of the humidity in the south? My potatoes don't keep for months, either -- they're moldy in 6 weeks, tops.

I just had to throw away the remainder of a bag of sweet potatoes (about a pound) because they were covered in mold after just 2 weeks in my pantry. I stored them in the mesh bag they came in on a shelf with (but not touching) my other non-refrigerated produce (apples, bananas). Am I doing it wrong?

The humidity around your parts would be a factor that I hadn't considered, however fridges are usually fairly dry due to the circulation of cooled air, so storing your carrots in the fridge outside the crisper could help with that.  I don't know 100% why but my carrots used to go rubbery too when kept in the crisper.  Keeping them on one of the shelves, in a perforated bag, with free air flow solved this though - now they stay crisp for months, until I use them all up. 

In this case I'm talking about locally grown carrots from the grocery store, unpeeled and uncut.  In fact the reason that I knew that carrots, when properly stored, can last months is because when running that food bank I used to manage, potatoes, carrots, onions and beets were the primary locally grown veggies available through the brutal winters around here. 

The section of my Canadian Gardner book on harvesting carrots told me to store the ones I grew this fall in a well ventilated area of the fridge in a perforated bag with a dry paper towel that I should change if it got moist, which is how I dealt with my own carrots, and they kept well too.  It suggests storing them in saw dust in a root cellar for long term storage, but I've never needed to do that because I only grew a couple dozen small variety carrots. 

I do keep my potatoes in my basement pantry in a milk crate to ensure they stay cool, dry and have good air flow.  I have a few of the ones I grew and harvested in September in there, and they're still doing fine.  Reading that you store your potatoes near your apples and bananas makes me think this is also related to why you're not getting a longer shelf life out of them.  Both fruits, as well as onions if you've got them, give off gas as they ripen which causes things near them to also speed in their processes of ripening and/or spoiling.

Wombat - as for your question about tasty carrots, I'm not sure if it's a preference thing on your part, but I've been told by farmers and gardeners alike that the soil in my region is ideal for growing superior root crops such as carrots and potatoes due to the nutrients in it.  This fall was my first crop of my own carrots, and I have to say I hadn't has such sweet tasty carrots in years.  Our garden's newly built with fresh new soil, which apparently helps as well.  When it comes to my potatoes, they turned out to be totally usable, but fairly bland in flavour.  I went for seed potatoes from Walmart last growing season, but I'm thinking that this season I want to go for something a little more fancy in hopes I'll get a better tasting end result. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9127 on: February 06, 2011, 04:37:27 am »

I did a carrot comparison today at my local green grocer.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9128 on: February 06, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9129 on: February 07, 2011, 04:37:10 am »

after recent events, I have decided to stop drinking liquor. I do not know if it is a really strict rule, but I think I am happy with it.

Right now there are 3 12-packs worth of beer in my fridge. YEAH FOR BUYING THINGS ON SALE.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9130 on: February 07, 2011, 02:36:20 pm »

...see both my kids off to school and then go talk to a therapist about my Problems for an hour.

Girlface started her special-ed pre-k class at an elementary school this morning. She'll be there 9 - noon, four days a week. She has the same teacher her big brother had last year. We visited the classroom last Friday; I think she'll enjoy it.

Not sure what to do with twelve hours a week where I'm not chasing any kids, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9131 on: February 07, 2011, 03:19:14 pm »

Not sure what to do with twelve hours a week where I'm not chasing any kids, though.

More writing work?

Start that blog you were talking about?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9132 on: February 07, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »

More writing work?

Start that blog you were talking about?

Yes, both of these things. Mostly the second one. But I'm talking more about the feeling where you're so busy you don't have time to think for a few weeks, and then you finally have some time to get things done, and then you look around and see all the things you could be doing and you don't know where to start.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9133 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:14 pm »

Not sure what to do with twelve hours a week where I'm not chasing any kids, though.

Masturbation.  Lots and lots of masturbation.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9134 on: February 07, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

then you look around and see all the things you could be doing and you don't know where to start.

When that happens, I write down as many such things as I can think of, and if something doesn't jump out at me, I pick one at random.  Literally, roll dice or use some other form of random number generation.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 878   Go Up