Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349725 times)

0 Members and 150 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9150 on: February 08, 2011, 10:39:03 am »

And on that note, today I'm gonna get up at 5 AM because my kids both passed out on the couch last night at 7:30!

We had to choose between waking them up and listening to them whine and cry until their regular bedtime (9) or putting them straight to bed and planning for an early morning. No good options, there, but we did our best. So we went to bed at 8:30 last night. Pedro got up with them at 3 and let me sleep another couple of hours, but he asked me to get up at 5 so that he could take a nap before work.

I think the girl one, at least, might actually take a nap before school. But the boy is the one I'm worried about; he's got to stick it out for six hours. At least if the girl gets cranky, she can take a nap in the afternoon. Boobear doesn't get home 'til 4 PM, and he only slept 7 hours.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9151 on: February 10, 2011, 07:42:12 pm »

Chill in a Marriot hotel in the Napa Valley while my wife goes to some Educational Leadership conference.  Just got back from a 10:30am breakfast.  Next up: shower/shave and a workout, followed by more showering and a massage.  I'm doing battle with my wife's tendency to believe every sniffle our boy has is the harbinger of asthma and signifies a need to drop out of the conference and rush back home.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9152 on: February 10, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

...goof around with my new-to-me iPod Touch, because Pedro got his Verizon iPhone today and I got his castoffs.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9153 on: February 10, 2011, 08:04:24 pm »

ANGRY BIRRRRRRDS
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9154 on: February 10, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »

Am I the only one who thinks "Twitchy left eye." is NOT a good Facebook status update?  TMI, people.  Jesus.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9155 on: February 10, 2011, 08:54:19 pm »

ANGRY BIRRRRRRDS

One of the first things Pedro downloaded back when he first got his device. I am way better at it than he is.

I'm kind of annoyed that my favorite knitting site doesn't have an app.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9156 on: February 12, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »

...remember that though I don't get hungover often, the post-beer dehydration does tighten my hamstrings up like fuckin' bungee cords.

Also, I end up telling the barkeep that when I win the lottery, I am going to buy the Brooklyn Cyclones minorleague team and wear a tophat to every game.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9157 on: February 13, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »

...get myself and my daughter all dressed for church, in spite of the fact that she's been a pill all morning. I'm gonna briefly consider not taking her because I don't want her to be a PITA to her Sunday School teacher, but I'll decide that she'll enjoy it once she's there and since it's been 2 weeks since I've been to church, I really should go.

Then I'm gonna have my hand on the doorknob when I realize that if we take the car that isn't in the shop, Pedro won't be able to take the boy to hockey practice at noon.

Then I'm gonna change my clothes and give up on the day.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9158 on: February 15, 2011, 01:41:13 am »

...make crab cakes & pasta while the missus makes lemon souffle (her first souffle). it's about to come out of the oven, and then awwww yyyeeeah
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9159 on: February 15, 2011, 01:41:32 am »

(happy vallen times)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9160 on: February 15, 2011, 04:32:43 am »

went out to mega-fancy dinner last night. bill came back suspiciously cheap.
then went and saw This guy, who... has a voice from the 30s. I have never heard such a thing.

Today, I found out that a really cute customer who I talk to sometimes recognized me, and paid for our drinks. Umm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9161 on: February 15, 2011, 06:33:44 am »

then went and saw This guy, who... has a voice from the 30s. I have never heard such a thing.

Oh yeah, Pokey LaFarge.  I came across him about 4 years ago.  He showed up on a compilation that a friend of mine out of KY sent me called "2007 Good Folk Fest Sampler."  The song was Fake in Heart.  I liked the song so much I put it on one of my mixtapes which some of you may have.

He's one of those guys that I always meant to look into further, but never got around to.  Really like that new song you posted.  Thanks!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9162 on: February 15, 2011, 06:56:41 am »

It was a really fun show! They are apparently putting out a 7" produced by Jack White.

I told my coworker who I know is into folk music, and he literally snorted and said "seriously? You'd never heard Pokey Lafarge? I've seen him like 10 times." I didn't know people acted this way in real life after age 15.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9163 on: February 15, 2011, 07:26:13 am »

I told my coworker who I know is into folk music, and he literally snorted and said "seriously? You'd never heard Pokey Lafarge? I've seen him like 10 times." I didn't know people acted this way in real life after age 15.

I met a dude tonight who was probably in his mid to late 50s and was bragging about seeing Janis Joplin in '69 in a tiny coffee shop in New Orleans.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9164 on: February 15, 2011, 06:51:21 pm »

...get a form letter from a magazine I published in March that still hasn't paid me that essentially says, "We can't pay you the $500 we promised a year ago, but if you want you can get free ad space on our website."

They did say they do plan to pay all their writers "sometime in 2011," but I'm not going to hold my breath. Somebody remind me why I wanted to go into feature writing again?

Edit: August, if I signed a contract that stipulated that I'd be paid within 90 days of publication, and my piece was published March 1, 2010, do I have a legal way to force them to pay? I suspect they're on their way to bankruptcy and I would like to get as much money as possible from them before that happens and they're off the hook.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:04:20 pm by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 878   Go Up