Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348751 times)

0 Members and 221 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9165 on: February 15, 2011, 07:04:21 pm »

I think the answer to that offer is "Thanks, but I can't eat ad space."

I have pretty much given up on pitching to magazines. A writer friend of mine told me several years ago that she thought it was easier to sell a book than a magazine article. I figured she just didn't try hard enough - she has a full time job so she doesn't really need to sell magazine articles. But looking over my percentage of successes pitching articles vs selling books, she was right.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9166 on: February 15, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »

But isn't it easier to sell a book if you've got previously published articles?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9167 on: February 15, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »

That's hard for me to say, since I haven't tried to do it both ways. Obviously if you have a long track record writing articles on the same subject, that makes a difference.  At the point I'm at, I've got enough of that that it's not worth beating my head against the wall to make a few more magazine sales, they're clearly not going to make a difference. So it's not worth wasting my time on any more magazine pitches that people don't even have the courtesy to reply to with a rejection.

But if you're just starting out, does killing yourself to sell a handful of magazine articles help? I don't know. Previously published articles won't help if they don't love the idea and you haven't written a killer proposal and sample chapters. And if you've managed to write a killer proposal and sample chapters that shows everything that a magazine article could show about your abilities.

I think that writing for magazines has become so competitive that it only makes sense if your dream is to see your name on the cover of whatever. But it's not worth it as a means to some other end.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9168 on: February 15, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »

That's hard for me to say, since I haven't tried to do it both ways. Obviously if you have a long track record writing articles on the same subject, that makes a difference.  At the point I'm at, I've got enough of that that it's not worth beating my head against the wall to make a few more magazine sales, they're clearly not going to make a difference. So it's not worth wasting my time on any more magazine pitches that people don't even have the courtesy to reply to with a rejection.

But if you're just starting out, does killing yourself to sell a handful of magazine articles help? I don't know. Previously published articles won't help if they don't love the idea and you haven't written a killer proposal and sample chapters. And if you've managed to write a killer proposal and sample chapters that shows everything that a magazine article could show about your abilities.

I think that writing for magazines has become so competitive that it only makes sense if your dream is to see your name on the cover of whatever. But it's not worth it as a means to some other end.



This is all quite possibly true. I am seriously going to start that blog I was talking about, without without my friend (who has been quite busy with a different blogging project).

I've got one article in me that I really want to sell for its own sake, but if books and magazines are branching, non-codependent paths, it's an easy decision for me.

Now that I think about it, most of the people I see getting published in magazines lately seem to be people who have a new book out. Maybe it's easier to go the other direction.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9169 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »

Yeah, selling magazine articles is one of the things they tell you to do to publicize your book these days, and I think that kind of article is attractive to editors for a lot of reasons. I'd do it if there was any such thing as a magazine that published stuff like my book, but the closest thing I can think of is Cracked.com, and is that even a magazine anymore?

A blog is a good way to work on a book idea. I am not the only one who has had this experience.

This is probably very boring to everyone else, but we could discuss it further in the super-secret writers' forum if you like.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9170 on: February 15, 2011, 08:03:25 pm »

Edit: August, if I signed a contract that stipulated that I'd be paid within 90 days of publication, and my piece was published March 1, 2010, do I have a legal way to force them to pay? I suspect they're on their way to bankruptcy and I would like to get as much money as possible from them before that happens and they're off the hook.

A legal way?  Sure -- you can sue them.  A practical, cost-effective way?  Most likely not, especially if they're on the verge of bankruptcy.

How much, may I ask, are we talking about here?  You could probably get a judgment against them in small-claims court, but then you'd have to collect on it.  And once they file bankruptcy, kiss it goodbye.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9171 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:17 pm »

We're talking $500. Almost certainly not worth a lawsuit. I was just wondering if there was anything in contract law that would allow me to fuck with their shit without actually hiring lawyers and going to war.

I am taking Wombat's advice to heart and just sent two requests to people I want to interview for Professional Detours. Instead of messaging you all individually, I'll just throw it out here: Who has an interesting job or a winding career path I could write about? PM me and we'll set up an interview.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9172 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53:00 pm »

I'd be happy to talk to you (as always) but I don't know how interesting it'd be.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9173 on: February 15, 2011, 11:43:47 pm »

1. slept in my sleeping bag for no reason. Day 2 of this. I am a huge fan.
2. find out my boss (assistant manager) was demoted to Cashier and transferred to another store.
The story I'm hearing is that she was sleeping with an employee. Which is such a mess I don't even want to know. I would chalk it up to rumor, but everyone said this with a "you didn't realize there was something going on between them?"

I just keep imagining this woman wearing a cashier outfit, starting over at ground zero. Possibly having had to tell her husband she got fired/demoted massively for fuck*ng a subordinate.

I also don't understand why she would stay at the company if she is losing like 15 years of progress upwards. Wouldn't applying to a new job with years of management experience be better?

This lady I emailed about meeting up for an "informational interview" is not responding, and I really do not want to have to call the office.

also: holy crap, it was not a lie. My co-worker owns/runs a bed and breakfast. Now I want to know why he works at a grocery store.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:09:45 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9174 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:12 am »

...have an exciting lunch.

Went on an errand at lunch time. Dude was cycling down the lane and a car pulled out of a driveway and through the bike lane. He smoked his brakes and slid into the side of the sedan. The woman looked down at him laying there and took off. I was tailing the action and...everyone in front of me just kept going. Dudes laying in the road and they just stepped on the gas. I hit the e-blinkers and stopped next to him. Dude was pretty shaken and lost some good skin to the road. He didn't want to call it in (I kinda pushed him hard for it, but all either of us had was a general description, no plate) so I gave him a ride to his office where he could clean up and change. Said fuck-it and threw his bike in the open trunk for the ride. Nice guy, we exchanged cards if there's any follow-up.

I'm pretty pissed, though. No one else stopped, some honked and some gave us the old FU for blocking traffic. No one from either of the restaurants we were in front of came out and offered help or information.

So fuck it, happy ending, right? I finally got to use the emergency medical kit in my trunk and I didn't get hurt to do it and got to play Good Sam, m'kay?

Fuck no, ain't nothing OK about that scene. Bunch of goddam see-no-evil sheep bastards.

It ain't enough to not be a cock to strangers, man. That's straight passive. You want your humanity card, stretch your fuck*ng hand out.

Otherwise you just an animal and I ought to be able to get a tag for you.

That is some shit, and you get a Good SamariCan.

To think, I was all self-satisfied for loaning a random mom at the playground a pull-up, some wipes, and a spare pair of ##### when her kid pooped himself. What you did, Ash, is some quality assisting of your fellow citizens, though. It's enough to make a Den Mom proud.

You also got to see the infamous "Bystander Effect" (aka Geneovese Syndrome) firsthand. Good story to tell the kids to make sure they do the right thing when (not if) the opportunity arises.

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9175 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:29 am »

holy crap Marisa Tomei.

I COULD'VE DATED MARISA TOMEI!?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9176 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:04 am »

You're good people, Asherdan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9177 on: February 16, 2011, 04:01:23 am »

holy crap Marisa Tomei.

I COULD'VE DATED MARISA TOMEI!?
before the wrestler came out, i think a *lot* of people could have dated marisa tomei
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9178 on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:24 am »

1. slept in my sleeping bag for
also: holy crap, it was not a lie. My co-worker owns/runs a bed and breakfast. Now I want to know why he works at a grocery store.
Medical benefits?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9179 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:07 pm »

Medical benefits?

10% of on groceries? 

The pride of working for a company called "Schnucks"?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 878   Go Up