Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348549 times)

0 Members and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9195 on: February 18, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

The problem is not that I've wanted to do that, it's that I've unintentionally done it anyway.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9196 on: February 18, 2011, 09:13:07 pm »

Would it be obnoxious if I sent my boss a Let Me Google That For You link in reply to a question?  Yeah, I guess it would.

I could not possibly be more pouring myself a drink when I get home than I am now.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9197 on: February 19, 2011, 01:27:45 am »

Would it be obnoxious if I sent my boss a Let Me Google That For You link in reply to a question?  Yeah, I guess it would.

I could not possibly be more pouring myself a drink when I get home than I am now.

You're living everyone's dream, man.
When did it become a crime to point out that the guy who is meant to be smarter than you is actually an idiot?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9198 on: February 19, 2011, 01:38:49 am »

When was that NOT a crime?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9199 on: February 19, 2011, 05:14:13 am »

When did it become a crime to point out that the guy who is meant to be smarter than you is actually an idiot?

When were bosses meant to be smarter than their subordinates?

Tonight I am going to pour myself a beer because I finally passed the second of a couple licensing exams for work that I've been working on for too long. No raise immediately but life will be better there.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9200 on: February 19, 2011, 07:21:13 am »

You're living everyone's dream, man.
When did it become a crime to point out that the guy who is meant to be smarter than you is actually an idiot?
"Smarter" is a subjective statement. Ownership, Management, and Operations, require different sets of skills. Undercover Boss shows only one side of the story. The COO cant do the ground level work any better than the ground level worker can do the COOs job.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9201 on: February 19, 2011, 07:27:16 am »

Yeah, to be honest I thought that as I typed it, but it seemed less pithy that way.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9202 on: February 19, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

The COO cant do the ground level work any better than the ground level worker can do the COOs job.

Shouldn't the boss have a pretty good understanding of the worker's job, though? How can you manage if you know nothing about the actual work you are supposed to be managing. This is what makes us feel they are stupid despite whatever skills they have that we don't.

In the good old days the boss worked his way up from doing the actual job, instead of going to a school that allegedly teaches how to theoreticaly manage anything. That's how I vaguely remember them, anyway...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9203 on: February 19, 2011, 03:17:24 pm »

Undercover Boss shows only one side of the story. The COO cant do the ground level work any better than the ground level worker can do the COOs job.

i was considerably disappointed when i found out that 'undercover boss' is a blatant advertising ploy.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9204 on: February 19, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »

i was considerably disappointed when i found out that 'undercover boss' is a blatant advertising ploy.

Really?  I mean, were you really fooled by this.

I guess I'm so cynical and jaded.  I read a headline on some news feed somewhere about Steven Tyler's new gig on American Idol.  It said something about Joe Perry won't return my calls.  My first impulse was, that'll sell some tickets when they do their reunion tour or whatever.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9205 on: February 19, 2011, 05:27:09 pm »

Not at a COO level. That is a waste of brainpower. At a certain level of management you need to understand it from a process standpoint, but expecting the COO to know how to solder a pin connector or giraffe a turd out of a pool is stupid.

That's exactly right. I think wombat means the boss one directly reports to, and yes, that person should have a pretty good idea of what her direct reports do for a living.

Edit: But you know what they say. If you can't do, manage.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:31:32 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9206 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:12 am »

The guy who does my job when I'm not here just got picked up for a better (in many ways) job. So his last hitch, our boss 3 levels up comes to him after a meeting and chews his ass for bringing up a topic during the meeting in an unprofessional way (although he was only sharing it for someone who couldn't be there, and it didn't have anything to do with him at all). So my guy says he has something else to talk to him about, and boss says "make it snappy, I got a lot on my plate" . . . . I love when that shit happens. It's rare, but so worth it. My guy just says "yeah, I quit". Boss: "shit! I mean, good for you."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9207 on: February 20, 2011, 02:24:53 am »

...throw an awesome birthday party for my son.

Yay! We had fabulous, 70 degree weather for his February birthday 2 years in a row. What are the odds? There was much jumping on the trampoline and rollocking around the backyard.

Also, every single guest was brought to the party by his or her dad. No guest moms whatsoever. I felt rather outnumbered, but it was nice to see involved dads hanging out and talking about their kids.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9208 on: February 20, 2011, 02:38:23 am »

...more or less play the role of Miss Sweetie Poo and get to make a winner of the Ig Nobel prize stop talking after five minutes.

I didn't get to actually say "Please stop, I'm bored" because they could not have known that a random volunteer from the audience like myself has spent most of her life wanting to get up when other people are talking and say "Please stop, I'm bored" over and over. Instead I had to make an annoying noise with a pen on a glass.

AND, I was wearing "What We Need More of is Science."

I hope there is at least one person on this board who is impressed by this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9209 on: February 20, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

I'm equally impressed to see Amanda Palmer is playing the award ceremony this year.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 878   Go Up