Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343085 times)

0 Members and 193 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9330 on: March 16, 2011, 01:17:20 pm »

I continue to be amazed at how cheap it is to live anywhere but the nyc metro area.

We continued to be amazed at how expensive it is to live in the nyc (dc, la, sf) metro area.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9331 on: March 16, 2011, 06:17:10 pm »

yeah, it was flabbergasting to me that people lived in dorms that cost like 900$ a month EACH when they could live in a freaking HOUSE for half that price.

my place near washU was 750$ total, but that was really cheap. My friends were all impressed.

Also I should have said, my current place is 600$ total. My half is 300.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9332 on: March 16, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »

yeah, it was flabbergasting to me that people lived in dorms that cost like 900$ a month EACH when they could live in a freaking HOUSE for half that price.


That is insane. Room and board at NCSU was, like, $2000 per semester when Pedro was there, and that included the meal plan. My cursory research indicates that it's gone up to $2500 per semester without meals, but that's still cheaper than most apartments. Especially since, if you live on campus, you usually don't need a car (unless you have an off-campus job).

I never lived on campus because my private women's college cost $4300/semester in room and board and had an 11 PM curfew. I was all, "Fuck that." I had more freedom living with my parents, and with the money they saved in dorm fees they bought me my first car.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9333 on: March 16, 2011, 11:37:47 pm »

Hear about a 2 month business trip to China. Being admired as a white businessman while living on an expense account and digging on asian broads? Nǐ hǎo, nerd. Hope this goes through.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9334 on: March 16, 2011, 11:57:50 pm »

I heard 112 B has crappy hotels. The action is in zone 69 20/F/Beijing.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9335 on: March 17, 2011, 12:02:33 am »

Today I'm gonna find out that the update I've been busting my hump over for the past 30 hours isn't actually approved yet, and won't be until next week probably.

Sigh.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9336 on: March 17, 2011, 02:02:30 am »

Hah, have a nice stay in Enterprise Zone 112 B!

Today the oldest boy passed his road test for his drivers license.

FEAR

Heh heh.  Welcome to my world.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9337 on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:45 am »

Kid looks pissed off.  She's got a bad attitude.  I like her already.
This was the more accurate description. We were trying to get the heck outta dodge when the photog came wandering in. In most of those photos she looks like an angry old man from New Jersey.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9338 on: March 17, 2011, 03:40:13 am »

watch out A-cap, from what I have heard the main idea is "fuck this white guy and try to get him to bring me back to America."
and the other main idea is "beat up the white guy who is sleeping with our women."

but maybe they are more cool about things in Beijing. My old roomie was out in the boonies (IE, a city the size of Chicago that I haven't heard of.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9339 on: March 17, 2011, 06:14:37 am »

a couple people i know moved to china recently (separately). as in probably emigrating, i guess? one is a lawyer-turned-recycled-jeweler, the other is a designer. i have absolutely zero idea how they're going to make a living, neither of them speaks or understands any dialect of chinese. how is a dude gonna rent an apartment with no job and no language.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9340 on: March 17, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »

...find out that the oldest's public high school makes the chillen drop $50 a semester for a parking pass before they can drive their car to school and park on the grounds.


grumble

Ha!  Ours is just $30 for the year.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9341 on: March 17, 2011, 04:35:31 pm »

...finally feel like I have read enough about gardening to go to a nursery and ask a lot of dumb questions. They were really helpful, and I bought a $15 pot that has 3 kinds of lettuce and some purple pansies for my back deck. We'll see how that goes.

The lady said I could have a salad out of it with dinner tonight, but I am skeptical about it actually growing back.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9342 on: March 17, 2011, 05:34:18 pm »

The reason I missed last week is that we finally finished the fuck*ng bastard motherfucker basement remodel (sorry for the language). I'd rather burn my house down than do another remodeling job.

It looks nice, though. Y'all are invited to our party April 2nd. There'll be live bands and an open bar.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9343 on: March 17, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »

Will The Tenmen be playing?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9344 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

Will The Tenmen be playing?

I wish. Actually, a friend's band is playing and this is going to be their farewell show. They haven't played much in a while, but he's in other bands and the reason it's a farewell show is that he's going into semi-retirement from the music business (he plays in lots of bands and also has a studio and produces music). This is his current band (he's the albino guy), but they're not playing. I think they're going on hiatus. Another guy who is playing is also in this band (but they won't be playing).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 878   Go Up