Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1345248 times)

0 Members and 179 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9345 on: March 17, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »

Speaking of which, did I tell you guys my friend and I have our first gig next week?  I mentioned it on Facebook, but not sure if I did here.  We're opening for another friend, who is trying his hand at stand-up comedy.  We're going to play four songs, and I'm heck of nervous.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9346 on: March 17, 2011, 06:55:22 pm »

Speaking of which, did I tell you guys my friend and I have our first gig next week?  I mentioned it on Facebook, but not sure if I did here.  We're opening for another friend, who is trying his hand at stand-up comedy.  We're going to play four songs, and I'm heck of nervous.

I'm feeling that. I get nervous playing with/for anyone other than my wife. Which is funny, because she's a much better musician than I am. I guess I don't get stage fright with her because I can easily picture her in her underwear.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9347 on: March 17, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »

Yeah, it feels odd for me, because normally I don't have a problem getting up in front of people.  I've done tons of public speaking.  It's just the music thing that's different.

And, I have a lot of trouble memorizing songs.  I can play pretty much any chords you put in front of me, but my short term memory is sooo bad I can't remember the sequences.  Also I lose focus if I'm not careful.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9348 on: March 17, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »

I, on the other hand, am just not very good at guitar. We had some friends over to play the other night and unfortunately (for me) one of them plays bass, so I had to play rhythm guitar. Urg. I much prefer playing bass if I'm playing with other people. What it comes down to is that I need to practice more when I'm at work.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9349 on: March 18, 2011, 02:50:59 am »

I have been practicing a ton, but the closest I have come to a performance since 2005 has been playing my guitar too loud in my apartment.

The other day I played this song for my GF over skype and she was pretty into it. Mostly because I sang, too.
That song is really really satisfying to learn because of the weird tuning. It is just weird enough that I thought it was really hard, and then realized things were different in a way I could grasp, and then I could play it. YEAH.
There is just one part that I can't figure out at all. Because he is just making crazy noises, but the crazy noises I make don't sound right.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9350 on: March 18, 2011, 05:29:00 am »

My gym had a St Paddy's Day "Workout of the Day".  Many 12oz curls were performed.  Actuer ally a zhot of be every mointue for 60min.  Calcculated that to be 5 beers in an hour.  Plus we were performing tasks like spin around a baseballl bat toughing your forehead,  Beer pong.  Tossing little sandbags into a target,  Taing laps around the gym o a Razor socooter.  Etc.  Fun.  Sleepy now.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9351 on: March 18, 2011, 05:50:56 am »

That sounds unsafe.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9352 on: March 18, 2011, 06:31:52 am »

I have been playing guitar for over an hour (usually closer to two, three hours is not at all uncommon) every day for the last ~45 days.  I am starting to write really awesome parts and we are starting to actually sound like a band.  It is pretty crazy to think about how much work we have put into this.  If this doesn't work it's law school or oil industry, and, yeah, fuck that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9353 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »

Join usssssssss, Keith!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9354 on: March 18, 2011, 04:02:40 pm »

Eggman, that's your cue to start the tug of war for the former Mets *ahem* soul.

I would advise him to stay the hell away from law school.  It sure as hell wouldn't improve his job prospects much, but hey, at least he'd get to go deep in debt doing it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:16:31 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9355 on: March 18, 2011, 07:00:34 pm »

So many of my friends are applying to law school, and I am so confused. They are obviously not visiting the same websites I am visiting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9356 on: March 18, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Weird coincidence: I just read a thing in WSJ about law school applications dropping like a rock.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9357 on: March 18, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »

Keith, if you ever need a place to crash in STL/ want a place to play a show, let me know. My friends live in a sweet warehouse that they are converting into a living space/art gallery, and they have really awesome shows. Recently, Cave played there, who I think you would really like. They are pretty krautrock-y. That show was insane, because normally there are only 40 or so people at their shows... this one was jam-packed with the whole STL arts/music community. I recognized members of every band I know in the city, people who review concerts for various publications, people from radio stations, etc. It was bizarre to open the bathroom door and literally walk out between the two amps of a hip band that was playing. In my friend's living room.

Tonight they are having their first big art show, because some sort of art convention is in town. At night they are having an all-night dance party, and my roommate is DJing. AWESOME. My friends are movers and shakers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9358 on: March 19, 2011, 05:52:13 am »

Cave is fuck*ng rad. Pure Moods, their EP released last year, is so good.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9359 on: March 19, 2011, 06:14:55 am »

That sounds unsafe.
But the beer was free!

The unsafe part was when, due to the dinking around waiting for everyone to show, that I got bored and decided to get some work done on hang cleans.  One of the guys was experimenting with a hoppy and managed to bounce off it and fly about 5 feet towards me. Fortunately I was keeping an eye on him and dropped the bar before he got too close.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 878   Go Up