Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348824 times)

0 Members and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9720 on: May 10, 2011, 04:06:25 pm »

...arrange to donate my brain to science. I told the nice lady they could have it now since I wasn't using it much but she said I should hang onto it in case of emergencies.

We went and saw that visible man show or whatever the hell they call it some years ago at OMSI. You know, the one where the guy took corpses and basically flayed them and then shellacked (sp? the wiggly line went away, anyway) them, so you can see how all the muscles go together and shit like that? I'm sure plenty of folks here would really like it, but I was made fairly nauseous. Anyway, my wife loved it and she took the information about how to donate your remains to the guy so he can do the same thing to you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9721 on: May 10, 2011, 04:23:05 pm »

...arrange to donate my brain to science. I told the nice lady they could have it now since I wasn't using it much but she said I should hang onto it in case of emergencies.
Way to go Ash. That is a cool thing to do.


We went and saw that visible man show or whatever the hell they call it some years ago at OMSI. You know, the one where the guy took corpses and basically flayed them and then shellacked (sp? the wiggly line went away, anyway) them, so you can see how all the muscles go together and shit like that? I'm sure plenty of folks here would really like it, but I was made fairly nauseous. Anyway, my wife loved it and she took the information about how to donate your remains to the guy so he can do the same thing to you.
You're talking about Gunther von Hagens, I think. That dude causes me serious troubles, on the one hand I love him for furthering public knowledge of anatomy, on the other hand you hear some sketchy things about where he gets all his cadavers. Fellow operates out of China for a reason is the received wisdom. My old anatomy professor liked to tell a story about how he went to the exhibit when it was in the country and when he asked a PR type where they got their cadavers the first thing they said was 'They're not political prisoners' which he thought said a lot on it's own. Though maybe they're just sick of people asking that.
The man does cool work though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9722 on: May 10, 2011, 04:36:25 pm »

Speaking of museums, there's this coming up at our local.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9723 on: May 10, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »

Speaking of museums, there's this coming up at our local.

Damn but that looks pretty.
I wonder if they'd let you actually get near many of them? Probably not, more's the pity.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9724 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:18 pm »

Damn but that looks pretty.
I wonder if they'd let you actually get near many of them? Probably not, more's the pity.

I think they're going to be picky - s restriction they have on this exhibit that I haven't seen there before (even with the Rembrandt thing I went to last year) is that you buy tickets for a specific entrance time (divided into half-hour blocks). I'm not sure how long they give you to file through - it might be like at some of the zoo exhibits, where you have to keep moving.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9725 on: May 10, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »

I've been writing for the last year or so.

Over the last few weeks I've finally screwed up the courage to put together a two minute set worth of material.

Tonight I'm going to go sign up at the local comedy club's open mic.

(This has been the plan for the last two weeks, but today it just seems... physiologically real.  I can feel it's inevitability in my lungs.)

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9726 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:49 pm »

I've been writing for the last year or so.

Over the last few weeks I've finally screwed up the courage to put together a two minute set worth of material.

Tonight I'm going to go sign up at the local comedy club's open mic.

(This has been the plan for the last two weeks, but today it just seems... physiologically real.  I can feel it's inevitability in my lungs.)



Fuckin' A.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9727 on: May 10, 2011, 06:37:58 pm »

Break a leg! I did that once, it is completely exhilarating. And, unlike me, you will probably get real laughs, instead of just pity chuckles.

Have someone videotape it and post it on YouTube for your imaginary friends. :)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9728 on: May 10, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »

Tell 'em you have hella depression, but that won't spoil the show. 

Then maybe they won't heckle you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9729 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:18 am »

My recent attempts at stand-up comedy have provided me with mixed results.

I have good material and an absolute inability to memorize so I work off notes.

Which... you know... is terrible performing. Performancing.

Good luck!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9730 on: May 11, 2011, 12:12:29 am »

Go Smick. That's something I want to do one day so here's your chance to inspire young minds.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9731 on: May 11, 2011, 12:18:22 am »

Awesome smick.  I hope you post it on youtube.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9732 on: May 11, 2011, 12:24:41 am »

Thanks guys.

This is intended to be the first of many attempts.  I'm going alone tonight, so no way to youtube.   (Unless they video it... which, I know they DO, but I don't know if they make that available to anyone other than the club booker.)
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9733 on: May 11, 2011, 06:46:46 pm »

By way of following up...

It went REALLY well.   

I got there at 6, signed in, and then waited in a bar full of noob comics.  You've never seen a more studious bunch of losers.   A bar filled with dudes with note books writing in them, and then gazing off into space.

I had my material on a 3x5" notepad in rough outline form.   I sat and thought over what I was going to say while running a stop watch.   I had three minutes.   I estimated I had 5 minutes of material...  so I culled a bunch and then kept working it while drinking diet sodas.

The lady came out, grabbed the sign up sheet, at 7.  While sitting there I had kind of put it together.  There were some local names I knew sitting in the room.   On the sheet it talked about time restrictions and how the red light signal works.  They're PAYING ATTENTION to the people who signed up.  There's no way they're going to put me up after a local guy who is doing middle spots for headliners.   They're going to set this up like any other comedy show.  They follow the names that come through and put them in slots according to their known ability.

Then it hit me. 

I'm going first.

How awful.

7:30 came, they opened the showroom and posted the call sheet.   #4.  After Kyle Drizler.   I checked in with the hostess.  She gave me a rundown of the room, where the green room is, when I should be in it, how the light works.   All pretty straight forward, but good to have someone explain it.  I sat down, ordered a Diet Coke and drank it down as the room slowly filled with people coming to a free show, and the 20 other comedians.   I then ordered a crispy Stella, which arrived just in time for me to stare at it while watching hte host and then #1 perform.   He wasn't bad.  He had chops.  He wasn't new.   

He finished, so I ducked into the green room.   It's the size of a closet.   I got in there as the host was just getting off stage from introducing #2.   The host was a big guy named Ian Karmel.  Super funny.   If you've ever seen Portlandia, he's the guy that dies in a bathtub while they write a song for Portland.   We introduce ourselves to each other.   A couple people go by, and #3 goes on stage.   I step from the green room into the curtained cubicle on the side of the stage, and wait.   #3 (Kyle) is funny too.   Kind of a spaz.  He's a programmer and keeps saying "NO, THIS IS TRUE, I DON'T HAVE MATERIAL, I'M JUST TALKING".   My delivery is dry, and slow.   I tend to be more deadpan than smarmy.   I'm having second thoughts, but this is just as Kyle comes off, and Ian goes back out.   Like a bullet in a gun there's really only one exit for me.   Ian is going to say my name, and I'm going out there.

"READY FOR OUR NEXT COMIC?  ANOTHER PORTLAND LOCAL, SHAWN MCBRIDE!"

I open the curtain and it is like a WWII movie.  You know the scenes where they're being shelled, and a shell explodes nearby and everything is deafened and muffled and ringing and jittery.   My blood goes up into my head and my ears hum from inside, and I'm walking.   Even for stage lights they're VERY bright.   There's a lot of noise.  I'm walking towards the mic and Ian is walking towards me.  We shake hands.  Like gentlemen.

I pull the mic out of the stand, and put the stand off to the side and I cradle it.   It is my rock.   The crowd quiets.  I can't see any of them, but I can feel them watching.   I start slowly and haltingly liked planned.   My first intro joke that I had planned... thuds, but it is a lead in to my next premise and I just push forward.   I was so worried about forgetting the order and flow, but it is like I'm on rails.   I said this stuff in my office so many times, it is ALMOST rote.

They're liking it.  They're following along.   I get a big laugh talking about how while I was playing XBox I unlocked an achievement, the punchline being it was the middle of the day and I'm friended to my boss.   "Shawn McBride has unlocked "Not Responsible Enough To Work From Home On A Tuesday" while playing Call Of Duty".   I move in to talking about porn.   I gambled that saying "German Goo Girls Part 6" is funny.   "Which, if you're going to get into the series, German Goo Girls part 6 is probably the best point.   German Goo Girls part 1 and German Goo Girls Part 2, the actors are still fresh, unsure where they're going with their characters, and they're just setting up the plot.   German Goo Girls part 12 was just rushed as they were trying to tie up all the loose plot ends, and it was just..." and I hadn't planned the next word, it was a happy accident "just sloppy."  Biggest unintentional laugh!   So I added "So...so sloppy."   (And I managed to say "German Goo Girls" correctly each time without tripping on it.   A feat I couldn't muster when I was explaining the night to the girlfriend later on.)

At that point, that should have been my 3 minute mark, but the light hadn't even gone on.   So I started into the stuff that I had culled, which they liked, and as I was worked up to the big punch line the light started flashing (15 second warning), which freaked me the fuck out, so I wrapped up my sentence and said "THAT'S MY TIME, THANK YOU SO MUCH!" and made a bee line for the green room, went back to my seat in the showroom and drank my waiting Stella.

SO good.  I wouldn't say I CRUSHED, but I didn't crater.  They laughed at me (where I wanted them to.)

Future attempts: I'll see about video.   Thanks guys.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9734 on: May 11, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »

Bodacious!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 878   Go Up