Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348092 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9825 on: May 31, 2011, 01:52:17 am »

When I was a kid in NYC we went to a beach that was on a bay. I didn't realize till I was in my twenties that I had never seen the ocean.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9826 on: May 31, 2011, 01:56:02 am »

When I was a kid in NYC we went to a beach that was on a bay. I didn't realize till I was in my twenties that I had never seen the ocean.

So, I read a thing in the New Yorker talking about seals roundabout there somewhere - I realize this is extremely vague, like people asking me "I know a guy from Alaska - have you ever met so-and-so" but I thought I'd ask if you've ever seen seals in NYC.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9827 on: May 31, 2011, 02:07:31 am »

When I lived there I am sure the water was too filthy for seals.

I read that article too, I can't remember where it was but it was someplace I never frequented. The thing about NYC, you can go for years without ever leaving your neighborhood, and it can basically takes two hours to get from the Bronx to Brooklyn and that's not even necessarily the far reaches of either borough. On a map it may look small compared to, say, Alaska, but it's packed so full of stuff that that is kind of an illusion.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9828 on: May 31, 2011, 02:19:19 am »

I learned this when I was in Brooklyn for New Year's Eve last year. My girlfriend didn't want to take the subway back up to Columbia alone. Ended up being something like 2 hours on the subway to go there and back. Mostly because I forgot that you should never take the (some letter) train, because it is really slow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9829 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:53 am »

When I lived there I am sure the water was too filthy for seals.

I read that article too, I can't remember where it was but it was someplace I never frequented. The thing about NYC, you can go for years without ever leaving your neighborhood, and it can basically takes two hours to get from the Bronx to Brooklyn and that's not even necessarily the far reaches of either borough. On a map it may look small compared to, say, Alaska, but it's packed so full of stuff that that is kind of an illusion.

I've been there a few times and I certainly know that (hell, I live in podunk Portland and there's stuff I haven't seen and will never see) but I thought the animal connection might have brought you out. From what I remember from the article, they implied the harbor seals have always come back, although the numbers have fluctuated (though I may be misremembering).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9830 on: May 31, 2011, 02:33:05 am »

This may be a shocking statement but... I am not that big a fan of trying to see animals in the wild. They're so damn unreliable.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9831 on: May 31, 2011, 03:26:24 am »

This may be a shocking statement but... I am not that big a fan of trying to see animals in the wild. They're so damn unreliable.

I'm glad that I was sitting down for that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9832 on: May 31, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

That's why she keeps her figments here, in captivity.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9833 on: May 31, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »

I recently took my family to the Wild Animal Park near San Diego.  Some of the big cat enclosures mimic nature so well that you never see them.  The lion "exhibit" at the Oakland Zoo is like that as well.  They have about 9 lions, and there are days you won't see a single one. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9834 on: May 31, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »

I recently took my family to the Wild Animal Park near San Diego.  Some of the big cat enclosures mimic nature so well that you never see them.  The lion "exhibit" at the Oakland Zoo is like that as well.  They have about 9 lions, and there are days you won't see a single one. 

i think the big cats are generally nocturnal.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9835 on: May 31, 2011, 04:41:01 pm »

More to the point is that lions are incredibly lazy, as one scientist discovered:
Quote
IWhen he first visited the Serengeti lions in 1974, he concluded that “lions were really boring.” The laziest of all the cats, they were usually collapsed in a stupor, as if they had just run a marathon, when in reality they hadn’t moved a muscle in 12 hours.
The Truth about Lions at Smithsonian magazine.

Also, tigers sleep nearly 16 hours per day.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9836 on: June 01, 2011, 02:35:33 am »

I went to the Portland zoo and a chimpanzee attempted to throw feces on me. Fortunately I am sort of an expert on chimps, having seen several in their natural habitats, riding tricycles and smoking cigars, so he was unable to get the drop on me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9837 on: June 01, 2011, 02:49:51 am »

today I went on a run that I am going to generously say was 2 miles. Felt like a damn marathon. I think the last time I ran was... 2005? 2004? Jesus that sounds like a long time ago.

Anyway, I think I have gotten out of the habit of pushing myself, because I didn't get home completely wiped out. Felt good, though.

I know this is a dumbass question, but people who run: what do you take with you on a run? I felt like I should have my phone on me, but then it was bouncing around/out of my pocket, so I ended up holding the damn thing in one hand the whole time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9838 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:02 am »

Keys and phone.  I use Runkeeper which is pretty dang cool to an old fossil such as I am.  Uses the GPS to tell me exactly where I ran, how long it took and how much of a climb it was.

I ran 27.4 miles in the month of May!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9839 on: June 01, 2011, 04:33:15 am »

I always take a handgun with me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 878   Go Up