Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348825 times)

0 Members and 224 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9960 on: June 15, 2011, 01:44:01 pm »

Can you read a whole book that way? I had been using the Kindle software on my laptop. But on the phone I don't find it comfortable to even read a long blog post or magazine article. It is too bad because yeah, that would be cool and convenient.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9961 on: June 15, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »

Can you read a whole book that way?

Heck yeah!  I've mainly used it when I'm on a stationary bike or when I'm eating in a restaurant alone.  It's also nice for reading in the can at work.

I just finished The Jungle Book, which was good -- love Kipling (have you ever Kippled?).  I read a lot of stuff from the Gutenberg project on account of I am hella cheap/broke.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9962 on: June 15, 2011, 02:43:14 pm »

Thanks for that, August. I was wondering if the Kindle app on the Moto-Defy gave you enough screen for reasonable reading. That's the kinda thing I would do but it seems Spouse is of wombats persuasion.

Yeah, I guess it's not for everybody.  I used to download books to read on my Palm III, so this is definitely a step up.

Quote
Also, good call on the Kipling in particular and the Gutenberg in general. Did you know the Australia version has most all the original R.E. Howard Conan stories on tap? Apparently their view of copyright is different, which makes sense from a country of crooks.

There's also a bunch of Kipling on Librivox if you like audiobooks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9963 on: June 15, 2011, 03:11:55 pm »

I'm using "Stanza" to read Moby Dick at work. I like this book a lot.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9964 on: June 15, 2011, 03:41:16 pm »

This would have solved my problem too, but it would be a lot more expensive than the Kindle.
http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/14/house-made-of-bookca.html
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9965 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:01 pm »

I don't really care whether "real" radio stations play records. I don't like those radio stations. The one I worked at did. Because we like records.

I don't like those radio stations either, I'm just saying.  But your radio station is like an artifact set up so you kids can pretend it's 1964 and you are Lester the Nightfly spinning platters.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9966 on: June 15, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

Before CDs, commercial stations had been using DATs for a while.  I'm not sure when the transition from vinyl to DAT happened.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9967 on: June 16, 2011, 12:05:40 am »

I don't like those radio stations either, I'm just saying.  But your radio station is like an artifact set up so you kids can pretend it's 1964 and you are Lester the Nightfly spinning platters.

I was all snidely laughing about this, then I remembered when I was Inev's age, I was in groups that dressed up funny and played extinct musical instruments so we could pretend it was 1564.  So maybe I can't throw stones.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9968 on: June 16, 2011, 01:05:59 am »

dude, you paint stuff on cars.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9969 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:53 am »

So maybe I can't throw stones.

I can't say anything cause I worked at the same radio station as Inev.  Course it was 1985 and music still came on vinyl.  But still -- I played Bebop albums from the 40s and 50s and pretended I was Symphony Sid.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9970 on: June 16, 2011, 02:33:55 am »

yeah, we had those records because people sent them to us for free in the 70s and 80s. Looking up "DAT" on wikipedia, I never saw anything like this at my radio station. The majority of DJs at my station play 100% of their music directly off of their computer.


Today my coworker told me that after I left his party, he took the rest of my salsa and hid it in his fridge so that his friends wouldn't eat all of it. My mom's recipe is apparently a huge success.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:04:18 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9971 on: June 16, 2011, 03:06:22 am »

The only reason I know what DAT tapes are is because a lot of fans use them to record live shows then later transfer the recording to CD or FLAC (or shn when that was the thing). Also I think the technology is the same or similar to the DDS tapes I used to backup the company server 12 or so years ago.

Funny enough pretty much all of the music I buy these days are records. Nearly all of the bands I see live have their albums on vinyl at the merch table with a little code inside that you can use to download mp3s (or FLACs if they are fancy). Plus records parties are just plain fun. Everyone brings over a stack and you spend the night getting high and looking at the liner notes and putting on your favorite side or track. It gets everyone more involved in the music. Even though objectively you would get the same exact result if everyone brought over a stack of CDs or if you just had a grooveshark playlist that people queued up stuff in, people will lose focus and it will inevitably turn into background noise. With records and especially 45s or singles someone always has to be involved. It isn't right for every party of course.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9972 on: June 16, 2011, 03:35:14 am »

there are events like this in my area, and fuck if I know why I don't attend these. Maybe because all my favorite "check out this awesome song!" tracks are weird things I only have mp3s of.

a few days ago, we noticed that our fridge was completely full of beer. I bought some six-packs of nice beer, my roommates each bought a big case of cheap shit without knowing the other one was doing this...

today I got home from work and everything is gone. I think I drank 3 beers in this time, and gave a few to friends. I guess this is life when you live with 2 unemployed dudes.

(and yet, what is the point of living with unemployed dudes if they can't be home to sign for packages that come when I'm at work.)

also in obsolete format news: WFMU is playing my friend's casette tape single from when he was 15.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:47:01 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9973 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:16 am »

this girl I know who is in a cool band is at my house talking to me about guitar equipment. Pretty fun. Makes me feel weird about being a dude who is bad at guitar yet has really nice guitar stuff.


jesus, nobody in this fuck*ng city has any idea what is going on. There are basically two perspectives:

1. I like St Louis, and want it to get better. We should get white people to move into the city, and too bad if black people get completely fucked over.
2. Fuck white people, fuck gentrification, fuck anything other than anarchists squatting in collapsing buildings. I want to murder my landlord.
THERE IS A MIDDLE GROUND, PEOPLE. AAGGGHHHH.

Oh my god, I am so fuck*ng uninterested in hearing your drunken monologue about how cops are the same thing as being sexually harassed in the street by random men.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:58:12 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #9974 on: June 16, 2011, 12:12:08 pm »

albums on vinyl at the merch table with a little code inside that you can use to download mp3s 

This reassures me about the youth of America.

I have been spending the last several months in a desperate attempt to get the Tech Staff to dispose of hundreds of old LPs so I can use the shelf space for something we actually use. I feel like there is a good reason more modern technologies were invented for this purpose. Been there, done that, it was a pain in the ass the first time around, thanks.

But, again, I played instruments about which most people would say "there is a good reason modern musical instruments were invented."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 878   Go Up