Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349960 times)

0 Members and 151 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10080 on: June 29, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »

a friend posted on this facebook today: "RAVE Stonybrook Theater will have a sensory-friendly movie for children with Autism and/or Down syndrome this Saturday, July 2nd at 10:05 a.m. The movie will be Cars 2. They will have the volume down, lights dimmed and kids are free to bring their own snacks (due to allergies). Kids are also free to move around and enjoy themselves!"  this is in KY(she works for Downs Syndrome of Louisville)...

i think thats a really awesome thing to do.  have they ever done anything like that in your area, JL?

I need to learn the difference between "quote" and "modify," apparently. Sorry. -- JLD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:47:16 am by jay-ell »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10081 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »

I would totally go to that, if it were a better movie.

Wait, did I mention I went to another movie in an actual theater last week? That's the third in three months. It might be some kind of record.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10082 on: June 29, 2011, 11:34:11 pm »

get this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/flesh-eating-cocaine-ny-la_n_886363.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009 article emailed to me from multiple peeps.  I guess I got a reputation.  I did some of that stuff 2 weekends ago and this weekend, and I have some rashes.  Unfortunately, they are not like the ones in the article, so I still have to figure out why.  Fortunately they are just bumps on my hand that I think I have from touching too many dogs instead of flesh eating thingies.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10083 on: June 30, 2011, 12:47:43 am »

a friend posted on this facebook today: "RAVE Stonybrook Theater will have a sensory-friendly movie for children with Autism and/or Down syndrome this Saturday, July 2nd at 10:05 a.m. The movie will be Cars 2. They will have the volume down, lights dimmed and kids are free to bring their own snacks (due to allergies). Kids are also free to move around and enjoy themselves!"  this is in KY(she works for Downs Syndrome of Louisville)...

i think thats a really awesome thing to do.  have they ever done anything like that in your area, JL?



Yes! We have been to 2. It is great for kids like mine, who are younger and/or have more noticeable stimming/fidgeting/sensory behaviors, but for older, high-functioning/Asperger's kids who can sit more or less still but have trouble focusing, I'd imagine it's very distracting. That's why we went to a regular screening with my niece and nephew.

But the ones I have been to were nice, not least because you know all the other parents in the theater "get it."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10084 on: June 30, 2011, 01:02:57 am »

which reminds me:

when I'm at work, I frequently interact with parents who seem very unhappy about their kids behavior-- being loud, grabbing stuff off the shelves to look at... basically acting like kids. I always want to reassure them that this behavior is OK, but will this come across as condescending/weird? People always seem very worried that their children are bothering me, when actually, having a kid singing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and ringing the little bell next to my register makes my day a lot nicer.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10085 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:28 am »

Would you get in trouble if you sang along?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10086 on: June 30, 2011, 01:43:30 am »

Ash, your post reminds me of this for some reason.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10087 on: June 30, 2011, 01:51:30 am »

i imagine thats especially trying if the child is really young and has just discovered that yelling really loud in the ginormous store makes a rad echo AND everybody else looks at you.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10088 on: June 30, 2011, 02:39:04 am »

That's one of the things practice got me over. I'd rather a kid was loud and happy than squirrely and pissed off and so would the people around me.

Plus, I am double-un-bad. If the store makes the kid hungry I'll pick a snack to bust open and hand over the open package at check out to pay. Tough shit if you find that wrong. Remember, happy kid good, pissed kid bad.

Within reason, of course. don't let their fun be anti-social.

I do that too. The limit is one open bag, if I have 2 kids with me they have to share.

I get annoyed with parents for being annoyed that their kids are acting like kids. They are not miniature grownups, don't be a dick.

On the other hand, I saw a mom at Target the other day goofing right along with her daughter, and it made me smile and miss my babies even though I had just left my house half an hour before.

About a week ago as I was leaving Target with Boyface, he asked me to make the cart go fast in the parking lot. I knew what he meant, so as I walked out the door I checked for traffic, and when it was clear I gave the cart a hard push down the incline and hopped up on the bottom rail. Boyface put his hands up and squealed with laughter, and another mom with a couple of tweens yelled, "Surf's up!"

That made me grin.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10089 on: June 30, 2011, 02:42:11 am »

yeah! as a person who is really easily embarrassed, I hope I can get over that in a major way when I have kids. Have fun with your kids in public!

Seeing good parenting makes me really happy. People who snap at their kids for asking questions/trying to help make me very unhappy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10090 on: June 30, 2011, 02:45:11 am »

which reminds me:

when I'm at work, I frequently interact with parents who seem very unhappy about their kids behavior-- being loud, grabbing stuff off the shelves to look at... basically acting like kids. I always want to reassure them that this behavior is OK, but will this come across as condescending/weird? People always seem very worried that their children are bothering me, when actually, having a kid singing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and ringing the little bell next to my register makes my day a lot nicer.

You know, I'm a curmudgeon. But today, instead of a) thinking about how I sort of don't like children, and b) thinking about how I sort of don't like my job, I'll instead reflect on c) how I don't ever interact with children at my job.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10091 on: June 30, 2011, 03:33:00 am »

hm. half-drunkenly thinking of plans to move to Chicago.

1. find job
2. put my stuff in storage?
3. sleep on floors/couches until I find a place to move into.

What can go wrong? Only everything. I guess I would also be leaving my current roommate without an apartment on very short notice, which is a dick move.
Our current lease runs out at the end of July, so this is kind of a pressing issue.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:38:54 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10092 on: June 30, 2011, 05:39:17 am »

Ash, your post reminds me of this for some reason.

Louis CK is a fuck*ng genius. Also, he actually gets better as he gets older.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10093 on: June 30, 2011, 01:08:26 pm »


i think thats a really awesome thing to do.  have they ever done anything like that in your area, JL?


Huh.  Well apparently they have in my area.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10094 on: June 30, 2011, 01:17:17 pm »

Huh.  Well apparently they have in my area.

Tennessee?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 878   Go Up