Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348081 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10125 on: July 07, 2011, 04:26:37 am »

That's kinda wack, isn't it? Brazil's national anthem is called... "Brazilian National Anthem".

i think they mean it in the sense that our national anthem is called, "The National Anthem of the United States of America", but the song is entitled "The Star-Spangled Banner".
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10126 on: July 07, 2011, 11:11:15 am »

i think they mean it in the sense that our national anthem is called, "The National Anthem of the United States of America", but the song is entitled "The Star-Spangled Banner".

That's what I meant, too.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10127 on: July 07, 2011, 12:53:01 pm »

i think they mean it in the sense that our national anthem is called, "The National Anthem of the United States of America", but the song is entitled "The Star-Spangled Banner".
That's what I meant, too.

Right. Like for Germany the chyron says "Das Lied der Deutschen (The Song of the Germans). German National Anthem" but for Brazil is says "Hino Nacional Brasileiro. Brazilian National Anthem"
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10128 on: July 07, 2011, 03:39:51 pm »

Ugh, Germans?  Why you got to try to bring us down?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10129 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:50 pm »

Apparently, the German National Anthem (I thought it was called "Deutschland Uber Alles?") almost never gets sung anymore, and never the second verse, because it was used so extensively by Hitler's regime.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10130 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »

I think the Dead Kennedy's covered that one.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10131 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:04 pm »

I guess it Figures that once I announce that I want to move to Chicago, all kinds of friends will come out of the woodwork finding me jobs in St Louis.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10132 on: July 07, 2011, 05:23:29 pm »

Both are the kind of job I definitely want.

Or, I guess, one of them is more tangential, but it will pay the bills, is only part-time, and be rewarding/interesting. I have been working on applying to that job, and now my friend emailed me to tell me he is leaving his internship. The person in charge of interns told him that if i want to be their new intern, I've got it. (maybe he sucked some dick for me or something?)

So it looks like I will be mentoring elementary school kids 3 days a week for The Center for Survivors of Torture and War Trauma, and interning a few other days a week for a big STL nonprofit with all kinds of different operations.
(fingers crossed)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10133 on: July 07, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »

On the subject of jobs, today I will have a promotion and a 10% pay increase made official. Hooray for hard work and appropriate risk taking. Also taking advantage of opportunities. Only took me 31 years to learn all that.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10134 on: July 07, 2011, 05:53:11 pm »

Yay, miles!

Inev, I am glad you found some jobs that look rewarding and fulfilling. But I also think you are too young to stay in a town just because you have a job there, if you would really rather be somewhere else.

I don't know if you really like STL and want to stay, or not, but I just don't want to see you give up on moving where your heart is* just because "well i guess i have a real job now might as well stick around."

*"Where your heart is" should not be confused with "where your girl lives." Don't move to Chicago for a girl; move there if you fell in love with the city and wouldn't feel at home anywhere else.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10135 on: July 07, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »

It worries me a little bit how much my GF is not a factor in where I want to live.

I like Chicago, but most of what was drawing me there was my feeling that staying here was holding me back. I would still like to live there, but I like it here a lot. Maybe I will feel differently once all of my friends are done with school and move away, or can't find jobs and move away.

As it is, if this internship/job can help me find a full-time job, I see myself staying here. Otherwise, maybe I will use the experience to find a job in Chicago, or heck, even someplace else. Chicago is appealing because it is close enough that I can drive up there for a job interview, I know people whose couches I can crash on, etc. Also, you know, a charming, large city with public transit and tons of young people.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:00:04 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10136 on: July 07, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »

It worries me a little bit how much my GF is not a factor in where I want to live.

I like Chicago, but most of what was drawing me there was my feeling that staying here was holding me back. I would still like to live there, but I like it here a lot. Maybe I will feel differently once all of my friends are done with school and move away, or can't find jobs and move away.

As it is, if this internship/job can help me find a full-time job, I see myself staying here. Otherwise, maybe I will use the experience to find a job in Chicago, or heck, even someplace else. Chicago is appealing because it is close enough that I can drive up there for a job interview, I know people whose couches I can crash on, etc. Also, you know, a charming, large city with public transit and tons of young people.

Sounds like you got your head on straight, then. Just making sure.  Wouldn't be Den Mom if I didn't worry about you young'uns from time to time.

Dag nabbit, I'm starting to write like Ash.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10137 on: July 07, 2011, 09:05:52 pm »

Just found my glasses so I can actually read what y'all are saying instead of just guessing at it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10138 on: July 07, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »

Just found my glasses so I can actually read what y'all are saying instead of just guessing at it.

I suspect it's not as good as what you were imagining.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10139 on: July 08, 2011, 03:19:49 am »

...I wonder if Canada will care about me bringing Cuban cigars into their country. I expect not, they seem to be more rational about these things.

I think you're doing it wrong.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 878   Go Up