Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349418 times)

0 Members and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10140 on: July 08, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »

...figure out that the problem with hoss people is that they're friggin' hoss people.

Preach it!

Lotta hoss people around these parts.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10141 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:54 pm »

Today I am going to borrow a friend's 57 Fender Tweed Deluxe (it's the fourth image down on that page). My friend built it himself, from a kit. I'm pretty excited about playing through it, and if I like it I'm going to commission one. He says he can build them for half price, and although I've only seen pictures it looks fantastic. The second one could only be better, too.

(Users include Scotty Moore, Larry Carlton and Neil Young.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10142 on: July 08, 2011, 03:09:30 pm »

...figure out that the problem with hoss people is that they're friggin' hoss people.

Replace "hoss" with any other animal and it's equally true.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10143 on: July 08, 2011, 05:17:35 pm »

my GF's roommate (who I... dislike. Don't tell anyone) has a vintage Fender amp with spring reverb and all. She always tells me I need to come over some time to play my jag through it, but I would feel bad about it. Because I don't like her.

Amps! I like them. Lately I have realized that certain settings on my Big Muff combined with certain settings on my amp create this really intense super-saturated tone. Oh man, it is so cool.

...mostly I just find hideous Grunge Era tones, though. Barf. Not Nirvana, not even Mudhoney. These are some third-string grunge tones.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10144 on: July 08, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »

I have a Peavey studio chorus 212. I have had to replace the speakers in it. I don't really like it - it is hard to get the sound I want out of it.

I also have a Marshall MG 15DFX for noodling around while I am sitting on the couch.

I want this Marshall cabinet and this head, I think.

Does anybody here know anything about Musiclord? Miles?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10145 on: July 08, 2011, 06:46:46 pm »

...catch my daughter sneaking into the bathroom and getting into Pedro's aftershave.

"I smells like Papa's beard. Papa's home now, mama."

I think he's been working too many hours this week. She misses him.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10146 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »

yeah, i was on the verge of getting a Marshall, but the salesman convinced me to get a Vox modeling amp instead. I like it, but 90% of the time I am using it to model an AC30. Too bad they cost an arm and a leg. I also wonder sometimes if the combination of a Jaguar and a Vox makes my guitar sound like a trebley, glassy asshole. The Big Muff makes it really roar, though.

I just walked ~1.5 miles to my favorite coffee/lunch place to work on job applications. Long ##### were a bad choice. My shirt is stuck to my body.

10000 people I know just walked in. This one girl is the loudest talker I have ever heard, and everyone is FUMING and glaring at them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:59:55 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10147 on: July 08, 2011, 09:17:13 pm »

Does anybody here know anything about Musiclord? Miles?

I don't. I haven't lived in Seattle for a while now though. Have you tried one out?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10148 on: July 08, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »

yeah, i was on the verge of getting a Marshall, but the salesman convinced me to get a Vox modeling amp instead. I like it, but 90% of the time I am using it to model an AC30. Too bad they cost an arm and a leg. I also wonder sometimes if the combination of a Jaguar and a Vox makes my guitar sound like a trebley, glassy asshole. The Big Muff makes it really roar, though.

I just walked ~1.5 miles to my favorite coffee/lunch place to work on job applications. Long ##### were a bad choice. My shirt is stuck to my body.

10000 people I know just walked in. This one girl is the loudest talker I have ever heard, and everyone is FUMING and glaring at them.

Are there tubes on that thing?  That (and a shit load of time fuck*ng with settings) is what will make it be able to sound like "some band people have heard of's" amp.  It is really crazy how much volume effects the sounds when you are talking tube amps.  If I make it sound good at volume 8 (about 3/4 on a 60 watt tube amp- so way too loud to practice at), it sounds like shit at volume 5 (my practice volume).  Plus, I am running 2 rats, a swollen pickle, a big muff and a tube zipper (and that is just my distortion section), and all of those have to change with the volume.  Drummer coming at 6:30, I will spend at least 2 of the next 3 hours fuck*ng with that stuff and then play for three hours.  Ah yeah.

I kinda wish I had humbuckers and a marshal, but I have single coils and a Fender.  Whatever, I got the sounds I want now.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10149 on: July 08, 2011, 09:38:55 pm »

there is 1 pre-amp tube. The rest is digital. There is also an attenuator knob, so I can make it so that with gain/volume maxed it is still pretty quiet. It supposedly doesn't affect the sound, but, it does.

Yeah, I spend way too much time messing around with settings. I am going to say here for the 100000th time that I need to write down combos that sound good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10150 on: July 08, 2011, 10:00:22 pm »

That's why I want to replace the Peavey. Too much shit to fuck with, and if anybody else does anything to it, when I play again I have to fuck with it and I never get it back where it goes. The tweed deluxe actually sounds pretty sweet, and there's like two knobs. That head I linked is not the one I'm interested in, actually. I want the Super Lead, but it is hard for me to justify the price, although I'd probably never have to buy anything else.

I've played a Musiclord a little bit, and it sounded really nice.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10151 on: July 09, 2011, 01:20:09 am »

I had my music lesson today and I cranked that fucker up and played this little number. That amp sounds incredible.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10152 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:50 am »

I play acoustic.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10153 on: July 09, 2011, 04:44:58 am »

Word I am into a bag and heading to a show. I fuck*ng worked that Fender. It is very fun to idle down into the basement and crush the Lester with the sweetie crashing the Pearl kit. Just saying.

You all enjoy the weekend in the style of your people. I am going to have some fun.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10154 on: July 09, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »

Wake up early because I'm excited about having shale delivered.  Is there a term for garden geeks?  I am most definitively a gardening (and landscaping) geek. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 878   Go Up