Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348150 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10215 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

Looks like Hack - in color.

Edited for clarity.

Alternatively: that image has become corrupt.  Please upload another.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10216 on: August 10, 2011, 05:11:47 pm »

They also put tequila in skull bottles, of course. Saw a bunch of those this weekend at a liquor store in WA. One of them had crystals all over it and was like $150. Eh.

I did get a nice oak ice bucket that somewhat matches our bar, and a commemorative glass with Clyde Drexler and Calvin Natt on it (not from the liquor store - the glass is from a pizza place from the '94 season or something). Plus tongs and a 4 oz glass jigger. The bar is starting to come together. Sometime fairly soon I am going to start infusing vodka, I think.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10217 on: August 10, 2011, 05:47:03 pm »

Clyde the glide.  His mama has a barbecue restaurant here.  Great ribs.

I went in there one day back when Clyde was with the Rockets.  I was with a guy I was working with.  Not the brightest bulb, this one.  He was star struck.  I wanted to go there because I had heard they made great ribs (they do).  He wanted to go there because he hoped that Clyde just might happen to be there.  We were waited on by Clyde's sister.  The first thing out of his mouth "does Clyde ever come in here?"  "Yeah, he's here a lot."  "Do you think he might stop in today?" "He better be in Seattle."  The Rockets were playing the Sonics that evening, you see.  I about died laughing.  My co worker was too embarrassed to find it funny.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10218 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »

sum41 still exists?  hm.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10219 on: August 11, 2011, 04:01:46 am »

I would have guessed before doing it that working 12 hours in a day would suck. I would have been correct.

I have been trying to suck it up and not complain about the stupid spreadsheet-filling-out task I am doing at the internship, but I just realized... I am filling this spreadsheet out with contact information for organizations we already do work with. It seems like we should already have all of this information in some centralized location. Come on people!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10220 on: August 11, 2011, 11:43:34 am »

Oh my god they've got you filling out TPS Reports.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10221 on: August 11, 2011, 02:42:55 pm »

Can someone explain why such contact information should go in a spreadsheet? My publisher asked for contact information for publicity possibilities in a spreadsheet. It was ten thousand times harder to type names and addresses into the spreadsheet than to just type them up in a normal word processor document or email. You need numbers in a spreadsheet because you can use it to do calculations. Why would you need names and addresses that way?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10222 on: August 11, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

For the sort function, presumably.

Though if you really have that many names and addresses that you need to sort them electronically, you're better off with a database like Access, which you can then merge into Word or what have you.

I spent a lot of time at my first job after college maintaining Access databases of names and addresses. It sucks, but there are worse ways to make a living.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10223 on: August 11, 2011, 04:16:51 pm »

For the sort function, presumably.

What would you need to sort them by? I honestly don't get it. She needs to print out a letter and an address label for each one, is all, as far as I can figure out.

And as far as I can tell, if it's going to be a list as long as two or three dozen I'd be lucky.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10224 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »

For the sort function, presumably.

Though if you really have that many names and addresses that you need to sort them electronically, you're better off with a database like Access, which you can then merge into Word or what have you.

I spent a lot of time at my first job after college maintaining Access databases of names and addresses. It sucks, but there are worse ways to make a living.

My boss refuses to give me a certain kind of update form because he knows I use them to maintain a Word document. A couple years ago he transferred it all over to Excel and updates that himself. He won't listen when everybody who works here tells him they never use his spreadsheet and he's the only person who ever sees it. Everybody likes the Word document better.

Oh, and we don't have Access. When we moved to Win7 and Office 2010 they didn't bother to buy any licenses for it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10225 on: August 11, 2011, 04:26:05 pm »

I would have guessed before doing it that working 12 hours in a day would suck. I would have been correct.

I have been trying to suck it up and not complain about the stupid spreadsheet-filling-out task I am doing at the internship, but I just realized... I am filling this spreadsheet out with contact information for organizations we already do work with. It seems like we should already have all of this information in some centralized location. Come on people!

Isn't this an unpaid gig? Note:

Quote
six federal legal criteria that must be satisfied for internships to be unpaid. Among those criteria are that the internship should be similar to the training given in a vocational school or academic institution, that the intern does not displace regular paid workers and that the employer “derives no immediate advantage” from the intern’s activities — in other words, it’s largely a benevolent contribution to the intern.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/business/03intern.html

Filling out a spreadsheet with address does not sound like a benevolent contribution to anyone but the organization.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10226 on: August 11, 2011, 05:07:47 pm »

People like that Excel has columns that you can resize. So name, street address, city, state, zip, phone, right down the line.

Sure, you can do that in a table in Word, but it's not as in-your-face as Excel.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10227 on: August 11, 2011, 05:57:56 pm »

But why do you need names and addresses in columns? There is something very basic that I am missing here. I don't understand what you would be doing with names and addreses that that would be helpful for.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10228 on: August 11, 2011, 06:00:08 pm »

yeah, it is pretty unclear why it needs to be a spreadsheet. Also, what I am really looking for is the names of either the HR person or the owner of these companies, so that we can ask if they will pledge to give a job to someone from our neighborhood. Which... I guess if we're spending this time doing it it must have worked in the past?

So many companies do not list any personnel on their website. Horrific. Some even say "contact HR to apply" but don't list any contact information for HR. My suggestion that I send out a generic "Hello, I am interested in talking to someone about positions which might be available. With whom do I need to get in contact?" BCC'd to all of the companies that just list an email like info@touamb.com was turned down. "oh, I guess we can just send them letters addressed to 'To whom it may concern'." I was slightly proud of that idea.

Based on talking to my friend who helped me get this internship, I will be working on more interesting stuff soon. Hopefully.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10229 on: August 11, 2011, 06:02:55 pm »

Mail merge for form letters?  (Access is better than Excel at this too).

One of my first jobs was working for a company doing this.  It was so boring I constantly fell asleep at my desk.  They fired me because they suspected I was on dope of some sort or another.  No, I was just bored out of my skull.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 878   Go Up