Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350342 times)

0 Members and 190 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10260 on: August 20, 2011, 03:35:37 am »

I don't know, The Fly, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and The Magnificent Seven were all pretty good. I take your point, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10261 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:47 am »

There will always be the rare exception to the rule.  You can add The Lord of the Rings to that list.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10262 on: August 20, 2011, 03:40:55 am »

The exception proves the rule!

There's also The Thing. And Scarface, I suppose. And like twelve movies Hitchcock did more than once.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10263 on: August 20, 2011, 06:34:14 am »

Yeah, the Thing, definitely.  I was going to put that, but I already hit send.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10264 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:15 pm »

Today I'm gonna find out that my daughter is old enough to play hockey on the special-needs hockey league this year!

My son played last year (on the rec-league, learn to skate/learn to play team), but I thought my daughter would need to be 5 years old before she could start. Apparently, the rule is, if she can learn to skate in the first month of practice, she can stay.

Which is awesome, because (a) they can be on the same team together indefinitely, unless one of them gets good enough to join the A/B competitive teams (the teams are grouped according to ability level, not size or age), and (b) she desperately wanted to skate last year, but she was only 2.

I'm so excited I can barely wait 'til the first practice in September.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10265 on: August 20, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »

Today it's gonna occur to me that maybe JL can answer this nagging question:

I go ice skating all the time and it's like going to the zoo - so hard for adults to enjoy it with all these kids in the way. But what I don't understand is, how is it that modern parents think that ice skating is a good activity for children? Children are so carefully protected compared to when I was a kid - car seats, bike helmets, no hard surfaces in playgrounds, antibacterial everything - my sister had a lock on the toilet seat to keep the kid from drowning in it, for pete's sake. And yet I see all these children at the ice rink - they are barely able to stand, surrounded by equally unskilled people with sharp blades on their feet, constantly falling down on hard cold frozen water.... What gives? Are these all the children of parents who just don't like them very much, or what?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10266 on: August 20, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »

I was at the mall recently, and I had to go by the ice rink there and there were quite a few kids skating without helmets. Not to be part of the nanny state, but a person can get killed smacking their head on the ice. We had a guy die from that at work. Walking along, slipped and hit his head on the ice, medivac, gone. And he didn't have a bunch of other out-of-control people around him, to say nothing about knives on their feet.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10267 on: August 20, 2011, 07:49:11 pm »

One of our skating teachers once mentioned seeing someone lose a finger (or more than one, I can't remember) when they fell and their hand was on the ice and someone skated over it.

It's not that I want to scare all these kids off the ice and leave more room for me, I swear. I just really don't get it, in the context of a society where children seem to basically be raised in bubbles. It's like the ice rink is the land that time forgot.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10268 on: August 20, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10269 on: August 21, 2011, 01:28:14 am »

One of our skating teachers once mentioned seeing someone lose a finger (or more than one, I can't remember) when they fell and their hand was on the ice and someone skated over it.

It's not that I want to scare all these kids off the ice and leave more room for me, I swear. I just really don't get it, in the context of a society where children seem to basically be raised in bubbles. It's like the ice rink is the land that time forgot.

I don't know. I do make my kids wear helmets on the ice, and during practice they're required to wear big, bulky hockey gloves, which makes me less worried that they'll lose a finger. But I don't keep my kids in a bubble, they play outside, get dirty, skin their knees -- hell, I helped my daughter use a butcher knife the other day (hand-over-hand, I lost a bit of my left thumbnail actually 'cause her aim's not so good, but at least she didn't draw blood). So maybe I'm not the one to ask.

I guess the idea is maybe that skating, like riding a bike, is exercise, and anything that's healthy like that can't possibly hurt you? I see a lot of kids riding bikes in the street without helmets in my neighborhood, too. So maybe it's just that bubble-parents are more vocal, while there are a still a lot of us who are a little more relaxed about stuff going about our business while the helicopter parents are busy petitioning their local councils for mandatory youth curfews or whatever they do.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10270 on: August 21, 2011, 02:08:48 am »

Speaking as a Canadian, I can honestly say I've never considered skating to be dangerous unless it's on thin ice.  I've never been to a skating rink though.  There's really no point in that when there's so many outdoor options for half the year.  I've never been in a situation where anyone skating over my finger is a possibility as far as I'm aware.  Also my dad used to flood the whole back yard and turn it in to our own private little rink, but I wasn't allowed to have friends over, so most of my childhood skating was done alone, in my backyard, in the dark, alone. 

I do recall one time I was skating around the back yard at a serious speed and I thought, as I was skating up to the picnic table, that it would stop me.  As I lay face up under the table after I fell, I thought two things at once:  "why did my dad ice the area under the table?" and "gee, I'm glad I wore my helmet tonight."  I didn't wear it most nights, but thankfully that was one of them.  I smacked the back of my head so hard!  I lay there looking at the stars from between the picnic table slats before getting up to skate more circles.  What a weird, lonely childhood memory.  Me in the dark, under the stars, the ice cracking, my breath in the air.  Maybe when I have my own kids we'll do the same for them, only we'll join them and have them invite their friends.  That would be super fun!  Gotta add that to the bucket list.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10271 on: August 21, 2011, 04:14:44 am »

It's only right that the trail runs along the assbone river.  But maybe a sore ass bone from skating is just my own personal experience.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10272 on: August 22, 2011, 03:47:30 pm »

Helicopter parents don't let their kids within miles of a skating rink.  Or if they do - its for private lessons with an instructor while the parent stands at the rink door and yells corrections to the kid.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10273 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:30 pm »

Today I'm gonna be sad.  Jack Layton, the official leader of the opposition died of cancer.  Layton was the voice of the marginalized, and he lead the New Democratic Party to its first time being the official opposition.  Many of my friends and some of the greatest humanitarians I have known knew Layton and valued his optimism and passion.

Layton wrote a letter to all Canadians two days ago, when it became clear that his treatment wasn't working.  These are his final words to Canadians and the world:

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:56:10 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10274 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:23 am »

Smells, I needed that quote today. I had a shitty day, my son had 3 meltdowns (autistic-style screaming fits, complete with head-banging, kicking, scratching, hitting, and self-injury) and I have no idea what triggered any of them. During the last one, he was completely unable to speak except to scream, "Go away, mama! Go away!" All I could do was put him in his bed, where he's least likely to hurt himself, and pray that he'd calm down on his own.

He did, eventually, and fell asleep at 7:30. But I listened, helpless, at his door while he cried for almost 45 minutes straight, knowing that if I went in to check on him, it would only increase the odds that he'd resume the self-injury.

He doesn't do this very often any more, thank goodness. But he's big and strong enough now that when he does, I can't physically contain him enough to ensure his safety. Last time he melted down like this, he put a hole in the wall of my in-laws' beach condo with his head.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 878   Go Up