Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350021 times)

0 Members and 152 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10305 on: August 31, 2011, 09:12:18 pm »

...pay a guy $250 to clear out the jungle of my backyard. We've been here 2 years this month, and the people who lived here before us let the yard go for at least a decade before we got here, judging by the fact that the yard guys unearthed a large number of baseballs and wiffle balls under the thick carpet weeds and scrubby bushes near the fence. (The previous owners had 2 grown sons.) And that's *after* Pedro had spent about a month's worth of weekends spraying the worst parts with round-up and cutting down the wisteria with a chainsaw. And we paid the same guy $35 to chop down the bamboo that was overtaking one side of the yard, too -- a neighbor planted some in his yard, and it spread into everyone else's.

It took our lawn guy and his helper 2 days of hard labor to clear everything out, and I discovered that under all the vines and brambles there is actually a large garden plot already laid out, bordered by 4x4s. It's unbelievable how deeply it was buried -- it wasn't even visible under all the scrub, but now it's actually a nice area where I might be able to plant some vegetables in the spring. I'll have to keep and eye on it and see how much sun it gets.

I am not an outdoor person; I hate yard work with a fiery passion. But even *I* cannot imagine how the previous owners let the yard get that bad. My understanding from neighbors is that, before they moved in, the backyard was nice and had an above-ground pool, and then the previous owners moved in, took down the pool, and just let it go wild.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to let my kids play back there without worrying about them getting poison ivy. That's a definite bonus.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10306 on: September 01, 2011, 04:33:27 am »

This internship is the exact thing I want:

I spent most of the day doing kind of boring computer things. Boring in that they were repetitive, but only kind of, because I was figuring out how to make a cool map of our future park in Adobe. It came out looking real snazzy.

The other part of the day we were driving around the neighborhood. We heard gunshots, we saw a drug deal go down, we passed maybe the most weirdly bad part of STL I have seen (houses that definitely look like they were rehabbed in the last 10 years, with every single window busted out). We stopped at this guy's house and my boss yelled Hi to these guys my age sitting on the stoop across the way. He said last time he was there, he parked on their side of the street and they ran up to ask what he wanted to buy. When he said, no thanks, just parking, they chased him off screaming and yelling cusses. Then I watered saplings in the park while arguing with my coworker who says she has never taken a bus in her entire life because she is scared of them, and thinks St Louis is not a cheap place to live. She also told me the story of how one of the other interns declared that he is never going out in the neighborhood again, after a time someone got shot immediately before he arrived at the park. Now he will only do office work.

Oh, and the reason I needed all of that contact info in a spreadsheet last time was so I could do a MAIL MERGE. Just sent out an asston of form letters all filled out with people's names and titles and printed out envelopes and return envelopes and all that stuff. Cool.

Eat it, jerk friends who made fun of me: those sounds I hear late at night sometimes are definitely guns.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:41:40 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10307 on: September 01, 2011, 07:21:41 am »

I like that my reaction to actually dangerous things is "oh, interesting," but when I see a penis in my house I go EAAAUGUUHGHHHHHH.

Is someone in this building storing piles of grain on the floor, or what? I have learned from Dwarf Fortress that this is how you get vermin.
I lived here for a year without seeing a single raton or cucaracha, and now, both.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10308 on: September 01, 2011, 03:31:12 pm »

I'm pretty nonchalant about seeing a penis in my house.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10309 on: September 01, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »

Seen in a Fark Politics thread today:

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10310 on: September 01, 2011, 06:22:10 pm »

That photo has a life of it's own now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10311 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:07 pm »

how does it feel to be a meme?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10312 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »

I tried to start a meme once.  It didn't really take off like I had hoped.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10313 on: September 01, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »

I called in sick to my third day of work and am going to the doctor for the first time since... 2003??  I cannot bend over and my back is all types of fucked.  Hopefully they give me pain pills.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10314 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:38 pm »

in Dwarf Fortress the only way to get rid of vermin is cats.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10315 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

My pug was a meme. It felt very weird.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10316 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:03 am »

In the future, everyone will be a meme for 15 minutes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10317 on: September 02, 2011, 01:23:06 am »

i cant wait until i get tumblrfamous!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10318 on: September 02, 2011, 06:14:12 am »

They will, but hopefully that's not the end of treatment.

They didn't and the treatment was even worse than my disappointment.  He gave me prescription aleve written in a MG that doesn't exist.  It was $30 to (almost) fill the prescription and $4 for walgreens brand aleve, with the exact same active ingredients.  I went with the over the counter.  I don't know whether to say fuck that guy for not giving me pills (or anything else- except a note to miss the next three days of work) or be mad at myself for going (I have always said Doctors are good for nothing- this one certainly was.  I have not been for 8 years cause of this, should have continued.)  I am almost unable to walk or stand and, ugh, this is literally the worst pain I have had in 8 years.  I had to chase his nurse down the hall to get to my room(its painful to walk and I do it slow), they didn't get my height or weight (I like to know on that fancy equipment), didn't tell me anything as far as like, hey, your blood pressure is good, just did it silently and I had to ask to find out, didn't treat my symptoms seriously (when I say I am in more pain then I have been in for 8 years I expect a doctor to care), and the nurse came and forced me to leave the room even though the doctor said he would be back and I could ask him a few questions (I asked him if I could ask him a few questions after he wrote my Rx and work note).  Then he wrote that shit for a MG that don't exist.  I was complaining when leaving and they gave me a number to call.  I tried to get my money back while there but it didn't work.  I will call the number tomorrow.  I am still pissed and don't really know how to continue this post without just a string of curses.

I think that if I would have just straight up burned the $150 it cost to see that piece of shit the endorphins from that would have kicked in and made me feel better than anything that dude did.

Mainly, I worked at a vet for a few years and if I would have treated an animal the way I was treated I would have been fired immediately and with cause, so it don't really seem right.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:23:26 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10319 on: September 02, 2011, 06:49:10 am »

Oh sorry- and the worst part?  He had me stand up an bend over.  When it got to the point in the bend where shooting pain was going to my back I kind of stumbled.  He said something that made it sound like he thought I was drunk or something- All "why can't you keep your blance?".  I was not (haven't been properly drunk in years now) and I had not been high all day.  I told him I couldn't keep my balance because I AM IN SERIOUS fuck*ng PAIN HERE AND YOU ARE HAVING ME DO THINGS THAT MAKE IT WORSE.  Fuck that guy.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 878   Go Up