Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349497 times)

0 Members and 161 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10605 on: November 01, 2011, 03:22:45 pm »

I had two huge bags, and we ran out, even though it was raining all night. I was kind of disappointed, I was hoping to have leftovers.

I guess it's better this way -- I had to go buy another bag last week because we'd eaten our way through one bag already.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10606 on: November 01, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »

Went to see my friend's band at the weirdest venue ever. As far as I could piece together:
1. In the 70s, it was a German restaurant. Wood paneling, drop ceiling, fake glass chandeliers, corny wood-carved decorations, mural of castles on one wall.
2. At some point it became a Mexican restaurant. They kept the old decor, and hung up a few half-assed Mexican touches.
3. Now it is a weird bar that they never put much effort into. Like... the old dinner tables are stacked in a corner. Bands played in one corner and everyone stood and watched.

my friend's band played all Velvet Underground covers. I was kind of disappointed, because I am a grumpy jerk who was annoyed when they didn't play the songs right. It was fun, though.

My roommate was saying they think this place is a front for some kind of organized crime. Not sure why.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10607 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:28 am »

I got so frustrated trying to find ##### that fit my 3'9", 60 lb three-year-old that I ended up just buying her size sevens with plans to hem them at home. I'm going to have to take three inches off the bottom just so she doesn't trip. I keep reminding myself that the pediatrician says there's nothing wrong with her. She's shaped like a three year old (chunky thighs, short legs, round belly) but she's scaled up a few sizes, and all the clothes for kids her height are designed for skinny five year olds who have lost their baby fat. The clothes that actually fit in the waist are designed for seven and eight year olds, who apparently have amazingly long legs and dress like miniature prostitutes.

Anyway, I put a hem in her pajama ##### tonight to try it out, and I think it worked OK. I'm trying to figure out how to put in a hem that looks decent but can be easily let down when she has her inevitable growth spurt.

Either that, or she's going to be in dresses and legwarmers all winter, which is what I did last year. It's less practical than it used to be now, though, because of preschool.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10608 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:04 am »

today, I realized I can go see John Hodgman at my favorite weird local space this week. I thought I was going to have work, but apparently I have not mastered the days of the week.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10609 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

I'm going to have to take three inches off the bottom just so she doesn't trip.

Some of us spend our whole lives having to do this when we buy #####.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10610 on: November 02, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »

Some of us spend our whole lives having to do this when we buy #####.

Are even "petite" sizes too long for you? Sigh. When I was thinner, it was hard to find ##### long enough -- I had to buy "talls" when they were available, which was rare, so I usually just went with guy jeans. I wish women's clothing sizes made sense, like men's. Do designers truly believe that if a woman's waist is X inches around, her legs are definitely going to be Y inches long? Where is the logic there?

I wouldn't have a problem with having to hem Hero's #####, honestly, if I didn't have to spend two hours shopping and three hours sewing for ##### she's going to grow out of in three months anyway. I think that's the part that really irks me -- for as much time and money as I'm spending here, shouldn't I be able to get more than one season's worth of use out of them? At least, Wombles, when you have ##### hemmed, you know you won't have to go through the agony of buying new ##### again for a year or two, at least. I have to do this for my daughter at least twice a year.

</first world problems>
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10611 on: November 02, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »

Once in a very great while I've bought a pair of petite ##### that I didn't need to hem. But I also usually have to buy men's ##### because designers also believe that a woman's butt is always much huger than her waist. And men's ##### don't usually come shorter than 33 inseam.

If I was going to get taller every few months I wouldn't really hem them. I'd roll up the cuffs really neatly and stitch them in place in a few places. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10612 on: November 02, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »


If I was going to get taller every few months I wouldn't really hem them. I'd roll up the cuffs really neatly and stitch them in place in a few places. 

I considered that, but there is really too much fabric to roll to the outside. She is hard on her clothes, and a few stitches here and there wouldn't hold it, I don't think. Besides, having a three inch cuff on ##### that only have a 14 inch inseam looks...really strange.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10613 on: November 02, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »

Thankfully mens' ##### do indeed come with inseams less than 33", or I'd be cutting 3 inches off everytime.  34/30 501's fit like they were made for me (as did 30/30's once upon a time).  And yes, JL, 7-9 year old girls are all leg; at least mine is.  Its amusing watching her gather herself together to sprint to the ball in soccer - long, long, levers (arms too) and just not enough muscle yet to move efficiently.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10614 on: November 02, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »

Typo - yeah, I meant 30 - which still means cutting off several inches for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10615 on: November 02, 2011, 11:06:29 pm »

Lately when I feel surrounded by idiots, I try to remind myself that surely I am the idiot surrounding someone else.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10616 on: November 02, 2011, 11:20:07 pm »

Those are can-worthy sentiments - both things I try to remind myself of as well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10617 on: November 02, 2011, 11:31:50 pm »

I feel like jeans are measured by outseam, not inseam.

Today's eMusic daily download is by a guy a may have gone to school with. I mean, he's definitely from Sterling and definitely went to my HS but I'm iffy if we were there at the same time. We have a bunch of FB friends in common, though.

Stupid Sophos security at work decided that Firefox is on its naughty list now. It was just added today. Hopefully I can find a friendly IT guy to unblock it because I can't go back to IE.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10618 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:09 pm »

Ash & Wombles, those probably should have gone into "Lesson of the Day".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10619 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:35 am »

I considered that, but there is really too much fabric to roll to the outside. She is hard on her clothes, and a few stitches here and there wouldn't hold it, I don't think. Besides, having a three inch cuff on ##### that only have a 14 inch inseam looks...really strange.

Gah! I was wrong. I had to cut off FIVE inches, and I left three inches folded inside of the hem so I can let them out later. These ##### are EIGHT inches too long. And I hemmed them to 3/4 inch off the floor while she was wearing shoes. Ridiculous.

If I had to do this to all my #####, I'd learn to walk on stilts.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 878   Go Up