Spider-Man:
Because (a.) most of the people who go from "zero" to something really didn't come from anything close to zero, they were born on second or third and refuse to accept the truth of that reality because it would ruin their personal conception as some kind of mythical self-made man or woman... hell, I have some advantages a lot of people didn't have, I wasn't born on third but I was certainly born on first, hit by a pitch or something (b.) because random chance plays a lot more than the "self-made" choose to ideate because, again, they'd rather hang onto their mythology about themselves than see how hard it is out there for people...
They'd rather maintain ignorance to the narrative of most of the people in the world than go through the work of changing their own personal narrative in the face of real facts...
And more than anything (c.) things have changed radically even in the last few years, the seeds sewn by the people who propped up Reagan are finally being reaped as bitter wheat in full.
Also, your inference that when I'm talking about the economic realities of America today I'm actually talking about myself is deeply incorrect. I chose the nearly impossible path of trying to get into the arts when I was a teenager and I knew it was gonna be hard from the start, especially rolling through that path with an anxiety disorder that short-circuits my ability to project the false self-confidence that seems almost required in artistic fields. I know that my personal problems are only tangentially related to the problems of the 99%.
The 99% aren't people who wanna write a teevee show or be a rockstar or whatever, like my dilettante Hamlet ass, they busted their hump through five or six years of school, just wanting to teach poor kids how to read. Or they ground through twenty-five years working a production line and now they have nothing.
They should not have to be constantly trying to grab more more more to be able to have a little. They should be able to work a good job and have a stable comfortable life.
People like you and me both, our aspirations and inclinations are a ways outside of that conversation.