Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350342 times)

0 Members and 190 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10710 on: November 16, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

I read this post on John Scalzi's blog a while ago and thought it would make a good contribution to this recurring conversation. I didn't post it and restart the discussion in hopes that it would actually never come up again, but like prescriptive grammar, obviously this one is never going to die. Here's just a bit of it:
Quote
What is luck? At the end of the day, it’s the good things that happen to you that you simply don’t or can’t control. Stepping away from a curb the second before a car you didn’t see barrels right over where you just were. Finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk. Stepping into a restaurant for a bite to eat and seeing an old friend you lost contact with years ago just before she steps out the door. These are all some obvious examples of luck. It works the other way too; you can step toward a curb just as a car you didn’t see plows into it and into you; then you are unlucky.

In either case the event is not something you consciously or purposefully controlled. You can argue left and right about how much “luck” has to do with any particular event: In the case of me getting lucky with Old Man’s War, I still wrote the book, and I still had, for the time, a robust presence online which meant it had a better chance to be seen than perhaps other similar novel presented online would have. Both of these had a significant impact on my luck. Be that as it may, ultimately I had no control over Patrick Nielsen Hayden going to my site, reading the entire novel on his own time, and deciding to make an offer on the book outside of the usual submission channels. Had he not decided to do just one of those things (and particularly the last one), it’s pretty obvious that my life would be a different one than I have now.

There are things you have no control over, and they do matter. You have to do the work, obviously; your novel or whatever won't be successful if you don't write it. But just doing the work, no matter how good it is, doesn't guarantee anything. It's necessary, but not sufficient. I can see why it would be comforting to believe there is no such thing as luck, that you have complete control over your fate, but I don't see how you can look at the universe we live in and actually believe that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10711 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »

People a lot smarter and more successful than me have long observed what I perceive to be true about "luck"

“Luck is not chance, it is toil” (Emily Dickenson)
“I am a strong believer in luck and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” (Thomas Jefferson)
“Chance favors the prepared mind” (Louis Pasteur - quoting Seneca(!) )

I really like the last one - there is deep irony in the fact that a 1st Century Roman captured the essence of luck is, yet many people still haven't learned the lesson and wait for fortunes to drop in their lap.  You can actually expand the idea by considering "good luck" and "bad luck"; the latter occurs when you haven't done the hard work of preparation and opportunity comes knocking.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10712 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:54 pm »

I'ma just leave this right here:

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10713 on: November 16, 2011, 09:46:10 pm »

Plus plus plus: if you do sack the fuck up and flip burgers, people make That Face when you tell them you're flipping burgers. And or straight up say "wtf, get a real job."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10714 on: November 17, 2011, 12:32:46 am »

The difference between touamb and the rest of the internet is that we can just agree to disagree. My system has worked for me your system has
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10715 on: November 17, 2011, 01:35:38 am »

Judging a system as functional by the fact that it works wildly well for a few people is not my approach to the matter.

But yeah, I think we might be at an agree-to-disagree point. Just wanted to clarify my position.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10716 on: November 17, 2011, 01:53:18 am »

If this drags on much longer I am going to split it into another thread.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10717 on: November 17, 2011, 02:10:17 am »

At work today, I thought about how you are both in the right industries for your perspective.

in entertainment/writing/LFM's various ventures, it is obviously the case that you can work your goddamn ass off all your life and end up being a bitter middle school drama teacher.

in A-Cap's field, it seems (from my limited perspective) that talent is recognized and rewarded in a more consistent way. If you are really good at Finance, this will be Recognized in the form of dollar bills.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10718 on: November 17, 2011, 05:15:18 am »

thing that is upsetting me, and is relevant to Aug's past:

they are gutting the Women's building. KWUR is being kicked out. They are either moving to the basement of a dorm until that dorm is knocked down, or to the horrible new student center that everyone hates.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10719 on: November 17, 2011, 05:50:19 am »

This is a question that strikes me:

Why ain't you trying to follow your bliss and work in radio, Dan?

Is it just the terrible job market in radio right now or... is it something you really only loved as a hobby or... what?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10720 on: November 17, 2011, 06:03:10 am »

The thing I liked about working in radio wasn't necessarily the radio part.

I am actually applying to some jobs at the local NPR station, doing business office type stuff, but NPR is pretty close to the opposite of KWUR.

What I liked about KWUR was working with people I really liked, doing projects I cared about, having meetings where everyone talks about their projects and you think "awesome, this is so great, everyone is doing great stuff." I sent out emails and wrote blog posts and called record promoters to shoot the shit. People would ask me questions and I would help them. I lucked (yes, lucked) into a position where I got to decide things, attend meetings, represent the station, teach new people, etc.

When I watch movies or TV shows where there is a team of weird people who are brought together, and by the end they are best friends but their project is done and they have to part, going their separate ways because that is what you do in life, I think of KWUR.

So basically I want to work at some kind of crazy small business. Or something. Someplace where there are lots of weirdos who know about weird things, and come together to share their interests and create something cool and great.






I am trying to find a good avatar image. This is not working.

TLDR: I don't want to work at a radio station, I want to start a radio station.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:40:58 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10721 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »

I too was a big college radio guy, and thought about going that direction after college, but the difference between non-commercial/college radio and commercial radio is like night and freaking day. There's a few dream jobs out there at stations like KEXP or WXPN, but by and large, I figured out that if I went to work for a commercial radio station I would be frustrated and miserable rather quickly.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10722 on: November 17, 2011, 08:30:30 pm »

Carlos, remind me what you do now?

(huge radio rant deleted.)
Basically, I do not trust the current station manager to do a good job of transitioning to the new space. I do not like her and she does not "get it."

This is why I should have moved far away. Worrying about my former college radio station is not productive or good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10723 on: November 17, 2011, 09:34:28 pm »

This is why I should have moved far away. Worrying about my former college radio station is not productive or good.

At least you know this. That is a good first step.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10724 on: November 17, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »

Carlos, remind me what you do now?

I manage IT projects for a big IT consulting firm.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 878   Go Up